Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city from each end of its state is more similar
Cleveland/Cincinatti 50 46.30%
Pgh/Philly 43 39.81%
Neither 15 13.89%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 08:49 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,918,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Philly/Pittsburgh have way more similarities than Cleveland/Cincinnati. These similarities include.

Accent: Philly and Pittsburgh have different accents, but they're still within the "midland" dialect continuum, and share some common traits (for example, saying the word eagle as iggle). In contrast, Cleveland and Cinci are in different dialact areas. Cleveland is a Great Lakes city with a nasal, northern accent. Cinci has a Midland accent with some minor southern influence.

Built style: Philadelphia and Pittsburgh have pretty similar built style in their 19th century neighborhoods. Both cities are predominantly brick (although Pittsburgh has some frame as well). Both cities have a lot of attached housing (Philly far more of course). Setbacks from the streets tend to be small by U.S. standards, and there are many narrow residential streets. Cleveland and Cinci have totally different built styles though. Cleveland is a Great Lakes city through and through - mostly wood framed detached houses, set back pretty far from wide streets. Cinci is more similar to Pittsburgh and Philly in terms of built form - more brick, more attached housing, smaller setbacks.

Politics: Philly and Pittsburgh are politically fairly similar - both Democratic areas. There are some differences of course - the Republican party was historically stronger in the Philly area, but is slowly waning in influence, while the inverse is true in Pittsburgh (or at least the outer reaches of the Pittsburgh metro, there is no chance that the Democrats would ever lose a local election in the City). Cleveland is politically pretty similar to Philly and Pittsburgh in terms of the lean of its core city and suburbs. Cinci is very different, however, with almost all the suburbs being Republican-leaning, and Republicans even winning control of city government semi-frequently. It's probably one of the most conservative core urban cities in the U.S. outside of the South.
Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
You are baiting all the Philadelphia homers with that last remark. Lol I'm not particularly interested in entering any "battle" in another thread about the two cities.

But unless you lived in every single neighborhood in Phila( you didn't) your "announcement" isn't accurate.
Though you make not like it, she's right. See above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 09:20 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,894,970 times
Quote:
You are baiting all the Philadelphia homers with that last remark. Lol I'm not particularly interested in entering any "battle" in another thread about the two cities.

But unless you lived in every single neighborhood in Phila( you didn't) your "announcement" isn't accurate.
The Philly Homers do nothing but talk about the progress in Center City. They almost NEVER bring up any other sections of the city in their Arguments. Ok, maybe UCity slips in there, but that's about it...

Never anything about South Philly, North Philly, NE, NW, SW, West Philly, City Line Av.... I'm shocked even Chestnut Hill, NoLibs, Fishtown are barely talked about here from the Philly Boosters. Its all Center City all the time ... Which proves my point, Philadelphia is Center City first, everywhere else is 2nd Class.

Pittsburgh is polar opposite. The Burgh boosters is all about Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, L'ville, Oakland, South Side, East Liberty ..... Then "Oh' Yea there is Downtown, too"

Not say anything is wrong with that thinking, just these are differences in the Cities.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:35 AM

527 posts, read 319,956 times
Quote:
Philadelphians, generally, don't think about Pittsburgh very much.
That's true everywhere.

How many people in a city think a lot about city in another part of the state, other than for specific reasons business or otherwise. Though I get why such a comment is made, it falls flat.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:31 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,153,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickms View Post
That's true everywhere.

How many people in a city think a lot about city in another part of the state, other than for specific reasons business or otherwise. Though I get why such a comment is made, it falls flat.
Exactly. How often do people in NYC think about Syracuse and Buffalo? How often do those in Cleveland think about Cincinnati? How often do those in Spokane think about Seattle? How often do most people think about any city besides their own most of the time?

Old 01-11-2016, 12:01 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,758,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
The Philly Homers do nothing but talk about the progress in Center City. They almost NEVER bring up any other sections of the city in their Arguments. Ok, maybe UCity slips in there, but that's about it...

Never anything about South Philly, North Philly, NE, NW, SW, West Philly, City Line Av.... I'm shocked even Chestnut Hill, NoLibs, Fishtown are barely talked about here from the Philly Boosters. Its all Center City all the time ... Which proves my point, Philadelphia is Center City first, everywhere else is 2nd Class.

Pittsburgh is polar opposite. The Burgh boosters is all about Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, L'ville, Oakland, South Side, East Liberty ..... Then "Oh' Yea there is Downtown, too"

Not say anything is wrong with that thinking, just these are differences in the Cities.
Every time someone goes on the Phily board looking more for "where should I move" neighborhood info, NoLibs, Fishtown, Fairmount, Spring Garden, lower Francisville, sometimes Brewerytown usually always get mentioned and, technically all of those, except NoLibs and Fishtown, are all in N. Phila.

Passyunk Sq, Graduate Hospital, Hawthorne, Bella Vista and Queen Village also get plenty of mention to people inquiring about possible Phila neighborhoods to move to. All of them are in S. Philly. And, yes, N.E neighborhoods do get discussed too especially people looking for more inexpensive housing and rents. But, hey, keep trying. Lol

Look, I don't find anything wrong with you loving Pittsburgh. It's your prerogative to do so.

Old 01-11-2016, 01:08 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,957,958 times
We have visitors. We should leave our in state dysfunction in the PA thread. This is childish and getting out of hand. So Pittsburgh has three tower cranes and Philadelphia has 17. NYC has hundreds of tower cranes. You guys are beating a dead horse.

Pittsburgh and Philadelphia is more similar than Cleveland and Cincinnati.

Last edited by wpipkins2; 01-11-2016 at 01:45 PM..

Old 01-11-2016, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Every time someone goes on the Phily board looking more for "where should I move" neighborhood info, NoLibs, Fishtown, Fairmount, Spring Garden, lower Francisville, sometimes Brewerytown usually always get mentioned and, technically all of those, except NoLibs and Fishtown, are all in N. Phila.

Passyunk Sq, Graduate Hospital, Hawthorne, Bella Vista and Queen Village also get plenty of mention to people inquiring about possible Phila neighborhoods to move to. All of them are in S. Philly. And, yes, N.E neighborhoods do get discussed too especially people looking for more inexpensive housing and rents. But, hey, keep trying. Lol

Look, I don't find anything wrong with you loving Pittsburgh. It's your prerogative to do so.
Learn to Read ... I said HERE, HERE HERE! CvC, not the Philly Sub forum. This is where the majority of Philly Boosters hang out.

It's not about loving one vs the other ... I'm simply telling the true about differences in Philly vs. Pittsburgh.

God, Philly Homers need to quit being so damn defensive and insecure at every opinion of Philadelphia .... It wasn't even a criticism of Philly.... There are many cities where their CBD are their Showpieces and where the majority of all Cultural, Food, Entertainment, and Retail experiences takes place, Philadelphia definitely is not alone in this category....

In Pittsburgh these things take place more-so in its neighborhoods. Nothing wrong with that either.

Old 01-11-2016, 02:27 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,516,649 times
What's that word for someone that bates someone into saying something and than tries to step back from it and take personal shots? Oh yea.. a troll

Quote:
where the majority of all Cultural, Food, Entertainment, and Retail
I take objection to the notion that the neighborhoods in Pittsburgh offer more than the other neighborhoods in Philly. Which is what you are trying to imply. Where exactly did you live when you lived here?

Also just for comparison, the neighborhoods in NW Philly could easily be in the burgh somewhere. All old towns in PA got a little similar look and feel. I would actually say Philly is a bit of an outlier in the whole state in terms of being largely flat.

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 01-11-2016 at 02:49 PM..

Old 01-11-2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
What's that word for someone that bates someone into saying something and than tries to step back from it and take personal shots? Oh yea.. a troll

I take objection to the notion that the neighborhoods in Pittsburgh offer more than the other neighborhoods in Philly. Which is what you are trying to imply. Where exactly did you live when you lived here?

Also just for comparison, the neighborhoods in NW Philly could easily be in the burgh somewhere. All old towns in PA got a little similar look and feel. I would actually say Philly is a bit of an outlier in the whole state in terms of being largely flat.
This is laughable from someone who's never stepped foot inside Pittsburgh .... and doesn't know sh*t about it. How do you take objection to a place you know nothing about????

I lived near K&A in Kensington, also lived near Broad n' Olney, took the 8 bus from B&O to Bridge & Pratt every morning/evening, then the 58 up Buslteton to work up near Red Lion Road. And would take the EL downtown to the Clothes Pin when I worked at Liberty Place.

I know all about Philly .. unlike you I lived in both Cities, which is how I formed my opinion ...

Old 01-11-2016, 03:35 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,918,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post

Lol Mayanunk is flat as a pancake compared to Pittsburgh. I agree its much hill-er than the rest of the metro, but its not Pittsburgh hilly.

Anywhere south of 81 or 78 is flat to someone from Pittsburgh.

Overall, I agree with Pimps, lets not start this Pitt VS Philly BS on another thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City