Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more beautiful?
New York State 62 48.82%
Arizona 65 51.18%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 08:55 AM

317 posts, read 377,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Well, Holmes, its clear you're not getting enough vitamin D up there in NY (no doubt due to lack of sun), and you've got your cranky pants on this morning, so Ill just let you get back to your Fifty Shades of Grey novel. I can see you sitting there, all curled up with your blanket, staring outside into the leafless, drab landscape, complete with dirty snow and filthy gray skies, cracking a fake smile while you force yourself to believe you actually enjoy it.

Meanwhile, thousands and thousands of New Yorkers will relocate here this year, while noone here is dying to move to NY.
Butthurt was strong on this one lol. Well I in return will just let you get back to whatever mental problems it is that you suffer from away this thread.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:00 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times
OMG guys. Everyone chill.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:03 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,961,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityguy7 View Post
Butthurt was strong on this one lol. Well I in return will just let you get back to whatever mental problems it is that you suffer from away this thread.
Well, you know, when you spit out names like "Sherlock" to instigate and antagonize people, do you not expect witty/defensive responses back? Poor wil' baby. Are your feewings huwt?

Old 01-15-2016, 09:03 AM

366 posts, read 404,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Have you been to Niagara Falls before? Basically, I wish the whole area had been set aside as a sizable national park with height limits on buildings near it so it actually kept some of its natural state. It's a superlative feature that, in my opinion, deserves the respect and treatment that half dome or the grand canyon gets.

We have different opinions on this. The falls are great, the light show is tacky and not even the charming John Waters kind of tacky.

So great, you have a massive natural feature and you decide to make it look as artificial as possible. Wonderful!

Mind you, I voted New York State here because New York State does actually have wonderful and unique features that I prefer to those in Arizona, but the treatment of the falls isn't one of them.
Ok, but even if you dislike them the light shows are only a nighttime thing though.

Quote:
Lol.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:05 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
This site is good for getting an idea of views/parks in NYS, for those that may not be familiar with some of the parks in the state: State Parks - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation

Old 01-15-2016, 09:09 AM

317 posts, read 377,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Well, you know, when you spit out names like "Sherlock" to instigate and antagonize people, do you not expect witty/defensive responses back? Poor wil' baby. Are your feewings huwt?
Well technically speaking Sherlock, I antagonized in response, but I don't exactly regret it because you deserved it and I found it funny. It really did feel like I made you cry or something, if we are speaking of irony ha ha.

I thought you were about to leave btw? Does the Arizona oven heat outside have damaging affect on people's short term memory?

Old 01-15-2016, 09:10 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneKane View Post
Ok, but even if you dislike them the light shows are only a nighttime thing though.

Lol.
The light show is just part of it. There's also the highrises and overall development. It's not pretty and you can probably do an image search for niagara falls and most of the top pictures are going to try for a viewpoint and some selective cropping that takes those out of the picture, because those towers and the development is none too pretty. It's akin to the destruction of the original Penn Station in NYC in terms of losing a New York State landmark, but a landmark natural feature instead of an architectural feature.

I understand that there are people who want to do development of hospitality facilities in and near the Grand Canyon as well, but it's a different era so I think chances of that happening are somewhat slim.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:12 AM

366 posts, read 404,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The light show is just part of it. There's also the highrises and overall development. It's not pretty and you can probably do an image search for niagara falls and most of the top pictures are going to try for a viewpoint and some selective cropping that takes those out of the picture, because those towers and the development is none too pretty.
Well I don't exactly mind any of that but to each their own I guess. Nothing I can say if you feel that strongly about it.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:15 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unwillingphoenician View Post
I didn't vote. I've lived in both places and like them both.

The west is "far away beautiful" and the east is "close in beautiful" as I see it. Or put another way, in terms of majestic sweeping scenery, Arizona wins over New York. But in terms of flowers and plants and babbling brooks, New York wins. There are exceptions where New York has some beautiful scenery and Arizona has some babbling brooks.

I think this is a good point I would agree with. To me this is why it seems New York (and other eastern states) may be more beautiful/scenic for everyday living, but Arizona has more "weekend beauty"-specific places people visit that are unmatched in their uniqueness/beauty. NY has more of a consistently pleasant/scenic topography while Arizona has more "natural wonders".

I'd imagine comparing New Mexico and Pennsylvania would have a similar dynamic.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 01-15-2016 at 10:09 AM..

Old 01-15-2016, 09:21 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,961,083 times
Quote:
Well technically speaking Sherlock, I antagonized in response, but I don't exactly regret it because you deserved it and I found it funny. It really did feel like I made you cry or something, if we are speaking of irony ha ha.

I thought you were about to leave btw? Does the Arizona oven heat outside have damaging affect on people's short term memory?
Thats hilarious! Did you come up with that all on your own? Im impressed with your comedic skills, man! I think you should tour with Dane Cook, you're really that good! Louis CK might be interested in your fine work, too.

And where did I say I was about to leave? lol I guess the frigid cold weather, endless grey skies, and mind-numbing winters in NY affect brain cell activity? Sorry to rip off your way of thinking there, but your witty humor made me envious, so I decided to try it on for size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City