Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more beautiful?
New York State 62 48.82%
Arizona 65 51.18%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 07:40 AM

93,164 posts, read 123,754,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
LOL, there's adventure. And then there's death wish.
Seriously......As for another whitewater rafting option in NY, the Black River near Watertown/the 1000 Islands would be a good choice:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tbfHk-sd1bs

Old 01-14-2016, 07:53 AM

93,164 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Anyone saying "they are both great but Arizona has the desert and New York doesn't"... well New York has the ocean/a coastline and Arizona doesn't so won't this kind of make them more equal?
Yeah, I think the desert versus water(ocean and lakes) cancel each other out, really.

Here is another lesser known county park in NY: Highland Forest » Onondaga County Parks

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-14-2016 at 08:08 AM..

Old 01-14-2016, 08:11 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,394,837 times
I prefer green to desert. The "beauty" of the desert doesn't resonate with me. So I'd pick New York just for the overall landscape.

There are parts of Arizona that I do find beautiful though...the Grand Canyon, Sedona.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:33 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,469,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityguy7 View Post
No diverse scenery state has a typical, doesn't change the fact that you see more of the desert in Arizona, by far, than that picture.

And no, I would bet money on that type of scenery being quite a small percentage of the state actually.
Okay bet away please by all means. Please tell me a little bit more about the topography of a state that I used to lived in for 16 years.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:32 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,954,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityguy7 View Post
No diverse scenery state has a typical, doesn't change the fact that you see more of the desert in Arizona, by far, than that picture.

And no, I would bet money on that type of scenery being quite a small percentage of the state actually.
Arizona is about 40% desert - the rest ranges from grasslands to alpine tundra.

Source: Natural Vegetation of

Old 01-14-2016, 12:38 PM

366 posts, read 404,152 times
Lush greenery is more of an anomaly for Arizona compared to states back east, so lets try not to pretend it's a common thing there by posting a few pictures of it.

Old 01-14-2016, 01:49 PM

8,605 posts, read 10,136,635 times
Twenty-seven percent of AZ is forested.

Old 01-14-2016, 02:24 PM

5,975 posts, read 13,111,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unwillingphoenician View Post
I didn't vote. I've lived in both places and like them both.

The west is "far away beautiful" and the east is "close in beautiful" as I see it. Or put another way, in terms of majestic sweeping scenery, Arizona wins over New York. But in terms of flowers and plants and babbling brooks, New York wins. There are exceptions where New York has some beautiful scenery and Arizona has some babbling brooks.

The "desert" conception of Arizona is not entirely true. Arizona is mostly desert, but there is a lot of forest. There are large extensions of ponderosa pine (largest in the world? not sure) which is kind of like a savanah in many places, and as you go up in elevation the conifers change and get thicker and you might as well be in Canada eventually. There are large herds of elk and other wildlife in the ponderosa pine forest. The Arizona forest is not a small thing. You can hike for days and days and days.

I found this on youtube, about a hike up Humphrey's Peak outside Flagstaff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrcPPvim8NE Up here they are hiking through aspen and whatnot. I've been up on the summit of Humphrey's Peak myself, but in pre-Internet days and I didn't get a video.

Try googling West Clear Creek and Wet Beaver Creek. These are Oak Creek-like places, but without the city of Sedona on them. Again, you can hike for days and days through scenery like this. Most people do West Clear Creek in a week from top to bottom. I can't help but think that there are many garden variety places in Arizona that would be national parks if you could pick them up and put them down on the east coast. EDIT: Found this video about the top of West Clear Creek Canyon. I've also been on this trail. This is where people start downstream for a week long hike, or just do a day trip in and out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unVYtMmS9wI

With that said, I miss the deciduous forests of the east coast, and the bass ponds, and the incredible fertility and variety of life. It's that whole majestic-close in thing again. Arizona has herds of elk; New York has red efts and skunk cabbage and fiddleheads. However, surprisingly, on the whole Arizona is one of the most biodiverse states. There is more here than people think.
Thank you for the best post on this thread! You really provided a lot of balance! I agree whole heartedly. Western states are more of an actual destination. NYS has beauty to it, that can be just as beautiful as AZ, but its not stuff that is necessarily specific to NYS. Whereas the west is known for its iconic sweeping vistas, and diversity of climate zones and ecosystems. But yeah, if you are looking at say a single acre of land, or even a single 40 acres I could see nature of eastern states winning.

Old 01-14-2016, 04:23 PM

215 posts, read 384,850 times
Some things IMHO that make New York unique are that the state borders TWO Great Lakes and the Atlantic Ocean. That is pretty cool and unusual!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City