Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 02:56 PM

38 posts, read 79,086 times

Advertisements

So this summer im moving to Riverside from LC for school, I'm planning on working my way through college and also i have educational benefits. I was wondering if the transition would be smooth or would i really be having to cut corners moving there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 04:52 PM

139 posts, read 221,797 times
Las Cruces, New Mexico is going to be much much much cheaper than Riverside, California. Remember, Riverside is in the San Bernardino metro area, which is not far from Los Angeles. The average home price in Las Cruces is $143,100. Riverside's average is $263,600. You might have to settle for a smaller home in Riverside than you would normally have in Las Cruces.

Glad I could help!

Old 01-13-2016, 05:06 PM

Thank you,

I will be renting, not buying so its more the cost of living more than anything. I know gas is a $1.00+ over there i visited about 2 weeks ago, but was too busy to really investigate myself.

Old 01-14-2016, 11:10 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,488,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenretriever1234 View Post
Las Cruces, New Mexico is going to be much much much cheaper than Riverside, California. Remember, Riverside is in the San Bernardino metro area, which is not far from Los Angeles. The average home price in Las Cruces is $143,100. Riverside's average is $263,600. You might have to settle for a smaller home in Riverside than you would normally have in Las Cruces.

Glad I could help!
Actually, Riverside and San Bernardino are both part of the Inland Empire MSA, of which Riverside is the largest city. Both are seats to their respective counties.

Old 01-14-2016, 11:43 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,488,540 times
To the OP, Riverside is considered part of the (relatively speaking, of course) part of California. You will fine many people who live there and commute to Los Angeles, Orange and San Diego counties for work and/or pleasure (on weekends.) Yes, gas is definitely more expensive than New Mexico. Nonetheless, as a student who (I hope) will be living close to campus, it really shouldn't be much of an additional cost to you. I had many friends who attended the University of California, Riverside without a car. They would mostly stick around campus, head to downtown (not too far from UCR, even on bus), or take metrolink whenever they came back home to OC, to LA or SD.

Also, if you do plan to work, I recommend getting a job as close to campus as possible. The city of Riverside is much more of a job center than the rest of the Inland Empire, so hopefully that won't be too difficult there.

When it comes to other expenses?

Rent will be more expensive, but you can splits costs by getting a room mate. Your university can help you with this.

Food Costs - generally, you will find restaurants more expensive in Riverside than las Cruces, but it won't be anything exorbitant like you would find in West LA, Coastal OC or San Francisco. You can definitely find PLENTY of cheap, yet delicious, hole in the walls in Riverside...in everything from Indian to Thai to Mexican (lots and lots of Mexican) to classic burger joints. Where you can save money is by cooking at home, since produce in California (generally) tends to be cheaper than other states. Same can't be said for meat and dairy. So eat your veggies.

Clothes - You will be better off in Riverside. Las Cruces is a small town, and only has so much variety. While, you will have higher taxes since it is California, you will also have access to lots of outlets like Ontario Mills in nearby Ontario, which offer a lot for those looking to spend less. Otherwise, you have the internet.

Don't be scared by the premise that Riverside is in California and California is considered an expensive state. Riverside is definitely on the affordable end (IMO), and remember that you will also have higher wages in Riverside as opposed to Las Cruces. Even just looking at minimum wage, there is a $1.50 difference (7.50 in NM vs 9.00 in CA). In this sense, Riverside is more comparable to Phoenix than to LA, SD or SF.

Old 01-16-2016, 09:03 AM

141 posts, read 222,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
To the OP, Riverside is considered part of the (relatively speaking, of course) part of California. You will fine many people who live there and commute to Los Angeles, Orange and San Diego counties for work and/or pleasure (on weekends.) Yes, gas is definitely more expensive than New Mexico. Nonetheless, as a student who (I hope) will be living close to campus, it really shouldn't be much of an additional cost to you. I had many friends who attended the University of California, Riverside without a car. They would mostly stick around campus, head to downtown (not too far from UCR, even on bus), or take metrolink whenever they came back home to OC, to LA or SD.

Also, if you do plan to work, I recommend getting a job as close to campus as possible. The city of Riverside is much more of a job center than the rest of the Inland Empire, so hopefully that won't be too difficult there.

Rent will be more expensive, but you can splits costs by getting a room mate. Your university can help you with this.

Food Costs - generally, you will find restaurants more expensive in Riverside than las Cruces, but it won't be anything exorbitant like you would find in West LA, Coastal OC or San Francisco. You can definitely find PLENTY of cheap, yet delicious, hole in the walls in Riverside...in everything from Indian to Thai to Mexican (lots and lots of Mexican) to classic burger joints. Where you can save money is by cooking at home, since produce in California (generally) tends to be cheaper than other states. Same can't be said for meat and dairy. So eat your veggies.

Clothes - You will be better off in Riverside. Las Cruces is a small town, and only has so much variety. While, you will have higher taxes since it is California, you will also have access to lots of outlets like Ontario Mills in nearby Ontario, which offer a lot for those looking to spend less. Otherwise, you have the internet.

Don't be scared by the premise that Riverside is in California and California is considered an expensive state. Riverside is definitely on the affordable end (IMO), and remember that you will also have higher wages in Riverside as opposed to Las Cruces. Even just looking at minimum wage, there is a $1.50 difference (7.50 in NM vs 9.00 in CA). In this sense, Riverside is more comparable to Phoenix than to LA, SD or SF.
To be fair about the minimum wage thing, although the New Mexico minimum wage is currently at $7.50 an hour, in Las Cruces, NM, it is currently $8.40 and scheduled to increase to $9.20 soon.
Here's a my source:
New Mexico Minimum Wage Rate 2016 - Minimum-Wage.org

Old 01-17-2016, 11:13 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,273,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post

While I agree with most of what you're saying I wouldn't call Las Cruces a "small town",
it's population is just over 100,000 (metro 210,000) and also has El Paso nearby 750,000
and just over the border Juarez at 1.5 million.
Riverside population is about 320,000

Interesting thing for me is their climates at first glance are similar,
both receive tons of sunshine and surprisingly almost same
average annual precipitation 10.3 inches for Riverside....9.7 inches for Las Cruces
However Riverside receives most precip in winter, Cruces it's summer (monsoon)

RIVERSIDE.......LAS CRUCES

69/43.....JAN.....59/29
70/45.....FEB.....64/33
73/46.....MAR....70/38
78/50.....APR.....78/45
83/55.....MAY.....88/54
89/59.....JUN......95/62
95/64.....JUL......95/68
96/64.....AUG.....92/67
92/61.....SEP......88/60
83/55.....OCT.....79/48
75/46.....NOV.....67/36
68/42.....DEC......58/29

Riverside has a milder winter but warms up slower than Las Cruces (may and june warmer),
typical of California Riveside stays warmer longer in the fall.

OP won't have acclimatize much.

Old 10-10-2016, 01:25 AM

Thank you guys for your replies, this helps immensely.

What about the job market? Is it possible to find a job within a month (minimum wage that isnt food industry)? If i go with 3k in savings will i be safe? Being a single female who just graduated with only an associates (but coming to get my bachelors) im just deathly afraid because, yes, it is california and every experienced adult had scared me into it being too expensive. its basically killed my confidence.

Old 10-22-2016, 01:49 AM

218 posts, read 350,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkkey View Post
Thank you guys for your replies, this helps immensely.

What about the job market? Is it possible to find a job within a month (minimum wage that isnt food industry)? If i go with 3k in savings will i be safe? Being a single female who just graduated with only an associates (but coming to get my bachelors) im just deathly afraid because, yes, it is california and every experienced adult had scared me into it being too expensive. its basically killed my confidence.
If you will be in the Coachella Valley, Palm Desert, fall, is hiring season for both the rich snowbirds, and also the winter season !

Old 10-22-2016, 04:26 AM

3,814 posts, read 4,011,395 times
Riverside is more of an extension of OC/SD than LA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City