Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 01:11 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times

Advertisements

All this smack talk about Durham's crime rate while ignoring the fact that Nashville's violent crime rates are among the highest in the nation? The only reason why people talk about Durham's crime rates being high is because they are always juxtaposed with Raleigh's lower rates. Durham's violent crime rate is lower than Nashville's and Raleigh's is much, much lower.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ime_rate_(2014)

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...20crime%20rate

Don't know why that first link won't paste. When you click the link, you'll have to click another link within it to get the results.

Nashville is hillier than the Triangle but the Triangle is far from being flat. I can't speak to the nature opportunities in Nashville but I know that the Triangle has a plethora of urban greenways and trails for biking, running, etc. Durham and Raleigh also sandwich a large state park, Umstead, smack dab in the middle of the metro and have a variety of reservoirs for boating & fishing on its edges. Kayaking would be easy to accomplish but I certainly wouldn't expect white water stuff in the Triangle. While not in Durham, Raleigh/Wake has a rather extensive and excellent park system that is fairly webbed together with greenways. Durham residents could fill you in on the park scene there. I just don't know enough about it to say. The music scene in the Triangle is mainly dominated by the college indy rock scene in Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill and Carrboro. This is reflective of a metro that has some 100,000+ college students at the 3 major universities and the smaller ones in the area.

Last edited by rnc2mbfl; 01-19-2016 at 01:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 10:01 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,130,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
All this smack talk about Durham's crime rate while ignoring the fact that Nashville's violent crime rates are among the highest in the nation? The only reason why people talk about Durham's crime rates being high is because they are always juxtaposed with Raleigh's lower rates. Durham's violent crime rate is lower than Nashville's and Raleigh's is much, much lower.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ime_rate_(2014)

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...20crime%20rate

Don't know why that first link won't paste. When you click the link, you'll have to click another link within it to get the results.
Hmm you mean this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ing_crime_data
As in crime is reported differently in TN than it is in many other states so most 'rankings' are meaningless?

Old 01-19-2016, 01:08 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,896,886 times
If you are actually considering relocating you should absolutely go visit and see for yourself. Also, your title mentions Raleigh/Durham, and in the thread you say Durham. Raleigh and Durham are relatively close, but they are different cities with different personalities and should be judged separately.

I think all three offer pretty good outdoor recreation opportunities. They all have parks and natural areas close by, but I think the daytrips from Nashville might be a bit better and it seems like there is more water with the river right in town.

Of the three cities, Raleigh easily has the lowest crime rate. I have visited Nashville a few times and never felt unsafe, but the city does have a pretty high rate of crime. Raleigh has a very low crime rate.

Nashville has by far the best music scene. It is heavily weighted towards country music, but there is all kinds of music. Raleigh and Durham also offer some quality music, especially with the colleges in the area, but nothing on the scale of what you can find in Nashville.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Hmm you mean this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ing_crime_data
As in crime is reported differently in TN than it is in many other states so most 'rankings' are meaningless?
A murder is a murder is a murder...a robbery is a robbery is a robbery

I'd suspect that the states don't like the methodology are the ones that have the highest rates. Tennessee's crime rates are particularly (and surprisingly to me) high.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
If you are actually considering relocating you should absolutely go visit and see for yourself. Also, your title mentions Raleigh/Durham, and in the thread you say Durham. Raleigh and Durham are relatively close, but they are different cities with different personalities and should be judged separately.
This is true to a degree. While Raleigh and Durham have limits that actually touch each other at Raleigh's NW and Durham's SE, the two city centers are about 22 miles apart from each other. However, as the entire Triangle continues to grow, more and more of the areas in between the two cities fills in with continuous development. This doesn't even include RTP proper which spans between the two core counties and connects the two cities professionally, despite the fact that they are considered anchors of separate MSAs. While it's not unusual for people to work in one city and live in the other (my brother actually goes from north Raleigh to DT Durham daily), there's really no reason other than preference for this to be necessary. In the end, living in either Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill or any one of the numerous suburbs gives one a primary anchor in the chosen community but also easy access to what the rest of the Triangle affords its residents.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:28 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,130,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
A murder is a murder is a murder...a robbery is a robbery is a robbery

I'd suspect that the states don't like the methodology are the ones that have the highest rates. Tennessee's crime rates are particularly (and surprisingly to me) high.
What 'methodology'? That's kinda the point, there is no uniform methodology for reporting crime, each state can report using whatever method they choose.
In TN a "murder is a murder is a murder...a robbery is a robbery is a robbery" isn't the way it's done. A murder is a murder and an assault and a robbery, if all those things go down during the murder. Three crimes reported for the price of one. See how that might make TN look a bit more violent than a place that would just report the one incident as the single crime of murder?

Old 01-24-2016, 09:32 AM

235 posts, read 331,022 times
Durham's crime is localized to east durham which no transplant would be likely to move to. It's also mostly crime against people that know each other.

Durham also has VERY solid biking and outdoor recreation opportunities in Durham. There's Duke Gardens which almost feels like a European city's public gardens. There's massive Duke Forest, Eno River State Park, Umstead State Park as well as some nice city parks. The Triangle Region easily has 100+ miles of interconnected paved bike trails. The most notable one in Durham is the American Tobacco Trail that runs from Downtown Durham to Jordan Lake south of the city.

I'm not familiar with Nashville but have had some friends live in the Triangle and Nasheville. From what they tell me, the Triangle feels less Southern and slightly more progressive overall.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:15 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,405,440 times
Raleigh for having better weather during the winter. Raleigh is 5 degrees warmer during January than Nashville.

Old 09-27-2016, 10:49 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel84 View Post
Durham's crime is localized to east durham which no transplant would be likely to move to. It's also mostly crime against people that know each other.

Durham also has VERY solid biking and outdoor recreation opportunities in Durham. There's Duke Gardens which almost feels like a European city's public gardens. There's massive Duke Forest, Eno River State Park, Umstead State Park as well as some nice city parks. The Triangle Region easily has 100+ miles of interconnected paved bike trails. The most notable one in Durham is the American Tobacco Trail that runs from Downtown Durham to Jordan Lake south of the city.

I'm not familiar with Nashville but have had some friends live in the Triangle and Nasheville. From what they tell me, the Triangle feels less Southern and slightly more progressive overall.
There is definitely more of an east coast vibe and provincial feel to Durham, and to a lesser extent in Raleigh. Nashville is more country artsy bohemian feeling, whereas Raleigh feels more corporate and basic.

Old 09-28-2016, 08:19 AM

345 posts, read 530,442 times
I'd pick Nashville personally.

And Nashville is hillier than Raleigh. It's actually one of the hilliest cities in the nation. Lots of hills and lakes. Plenty of outdoor activities.

Raleigh isn't lacking tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City