Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2019, 03:37 PM

12,807 posts, read 9,532,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Why is this something you have such trouble comprehending? Most Americans don't care about "better urban bones." They want safe neighborhoods/cities, good schools, good local economies with lots of relatively well-paying jobs, a low cost of living, and mild/warmer weather and Raleigh/the Triangle provides that. I think you're either unaware of or severely underestimate the high economic impact that the universities/RTP in particular have had on the region.
This damn board cares about bones. For a family, I would like Raleigh. Nashville didn't do much for me butto each their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 07:37 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,619,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Capital Blvd is the most congested and overbuilt road in the city that sticks car lots in between Wendy’s and Bojangles. Nothing else in Raleigh even begins to approximate the Capital Blvd experience.
Capital is definitely the most congested. I'm not unfamiliar with Raleigh, bro. Besides the fact that Capital is 10 lanes across in some places, it isn't the only poorly built Avenue in Raleigh; moreover, I gave some specificities as to what I don't like about Raleigh's layout and build that go beyond the congestion on Capital...

I mentioned Capital but the things I mentioned certainly don't only apply to Capital...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
That's the biggie. These things you pointed out are what separates Raleigh from some of it's peers. The amount of white collar job opportunities are plentiful. As a young professional, I am considering Raleigh for a healthcare administration position because I can actually afford a nice place in the city without worrying about crime or traffic like in Nashville. Raleigh retains a small-town feel with big city amenities. I prefer an urban dwelling or at the very least a new urbanism living area, but I am not about to pay Nashville prices for a place when there is no security, and I will be sitting in traffic for hours. Anyone saying Raleigh is boring or doesn't have anything to offer is proudly ignorant.
Come on through to Raleigh and we can go ahead and set that date up you been waiting years for!

Old 04-12-2019, 08:22 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,841,729 times
You complained about trees and same-looking houses/apartments you saw around Capital. I got nothing to say about trees (we have them!), but otherwise I can only note that Capital and points east is basically Raleigh’s Levittown with cheap housing and basic apartments that just sit on the major corridors. Most everywhere else in Raleigh suburbia, the neighborhoods are hidden from the main roads and the houses aren’t cookie-cutter. The Capital Blvd area layout and housing stock are specific to that area moreso than most anywhere else in Raleigh.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:00 PM

12,807 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
You complained about trees and same-looking houses/apartments you saw around Capital. I got nothing to say about trees (we have them!), but otherwise I can only note that Capital and points east is basically Raleigh’s Levittown with cheap housing and basic apartments that just sit on the major corridors. Most everywhere else in Raleigh suburbia, the neighborhoods are hidden from the main roads and the houses aren’t cookie-cutter. The Capital Blvd area layout and housing stock are specific to that area moreso than most anywhere else in Raleigh.
Not really sure I've met anyone who doesn't like trees.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:15 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,148,184 times
There's one particular poster in this thread that has a history of pooping on Raleigh and the Triangle at every turn and post. I don't think that I have to actually point out who that is.
In the end, Raleigh and the Triangle doesn't have to beg for people, or convince people to move to it and participate in its ascendance. There are more than plenty who come, and they make the Triangle more educated, diverse, interesting and dynamic. Raleigh is the sort of city that is playing in the company of cities in the Southeast and elsewhere that hadn't been looking behind them as Raleigh exploded over the preceding decades. Now that Raleigh is there, it's threatening to the status quo pecking order, and it's natural that people would want to knock it down.
But, you know, too late.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Okay, Doctor Literal...

I said I was in NE Raleigh and listed didn't single Capital out for anything other than the many lanes. My comments about the housing stock was not specific to Capital and I'm not sure why you took it that way...

Old 04-13-2019, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Okay, Doctor Literal...

I said I was in NE Raleigh and listed didn't single Capital out for anything other than the many lanes. My comments about the housing stock was not specific to Capital and I'm not sure why you took it that way...
You said you were in NE Raleigh near Triangle Town Center and were on one road and saw the same looking houses and apartments for miles and miles. You very specifically tied the area you were driving in to Capital as TTC sits on it. I knew you couldn’t have been on Durant or points north of 540 because that didn’t fit your description. Nor did any road heading west from Capital honestly. Running through the main roads you could be talking about, it sounded like you were on New Hope Rd. But even if not that exact road, the point remains. Cookie-cutter housing developments sitting on major roads for miles and miles are unique to one area.

Old 04-13-2019, 06:57 AM

Quote:
You said you were in NE Raleigh near Triangle Town Center and were on one road and saw the same looking houses and apartments for miles and miles. You very specifically tied the area you were driving in to Capital as TTC sits on it. I knew you couldn’t have been on Durant or points north of 540 because that didn’t fit your description. Nor did any road heading west from Capital honestly. Running through the main roads you could be talking about, it sounded like you were on New Hope Rd. But even if not that exact road, the point remains. Cookie-cutter housing developments sitting on major roads for miles and miles are unique to one area.
You're the only person reading my comment the way you are. What I didn't day was I saw cookie-cutter housing on just one road or that this housing was literally on Capital...

We're not arguing about this, guy. This is about the dumbest thing you could be cantankerous about...

Old 04-13-2019, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
You're the only person reading my comment the way you are. What I didn't day was I saw cookie-cutter housing on just one road
But you actually did say it was on one road. And you said near TTC (which means it had to be near Capital). I’m not sure why you are digging in on this point. I was just noting you picked the one area in Raleigh that fits a bad caricature description you provided.

Old 04-13-2019, 07:13 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,139 times
Well, for starters, Nashville is a more popular relocation destination for people from other parts of the South, which is better than being a popular relocation destination for people from Florida and the Northeast such as Raleigh, if you catch my drift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City