Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the better future?
Texas 121 55.00%
California 99 45.00%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2021, 02:23 PM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times

Advertisements

The Texas Deep Freeze of 2021
https://abagond.wordpress.com/2021/0...reeze-of-2021/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2021, 03:41 PM

841 posts, read 825,345 times
I had to vote for Texas. California has stunning scenery, a great climate in many/most areas, and endless things to do. The Bay Area is simply breathtaking, and other than New York, I can't think of another city I find more interesting just to walk around in than San Francisco.

Nevertheless, California is crazy expensive and overcrowded. I couldn't even fathom moving there from Alabama. We would have to step really far down in housing quality (I guess you substitute that with the great setting and things to see/do). That's going to be true for people in many parts of the country, aside from those living in overpriced large metros like DC, NYC, and Boston. On the other hand, Texas is still reasonably affordable and even very affordable in many parts. That has to be a big factor for many in making a decision about CA versus TX. Affordable housing leaves you with a lot more income to save and spend elsewhere. But I guess it really depends on what you value; I'm just wagering that many average families are going to place affordability ahead of stunning setting/climate with completely unaffordable housing.

Like many, I don't think the Arctic outbreak in Texas will be much of a lasting memory among those who may consider CA versus TX. Yes, Texas can get cold, but the problem with this event was the bizarre long duration. I think Dallas was below 20° for about 4 consecutive days? That is simply freakish and is the main reason for the frozen pipes, extreme overuse of power, etc. Sure, there are brief dips down to 10° or a little lower in occasional winters, but a long stretch like that in the single digits and teens? That is a historic outbreak that might be experienced a few times in an entire lifetime.

Old 02-21-2021, 06:41 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,359,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDave View Post
I had to vote for Texas. California has stunning scenery, a great climate in many/most areas, and endless things to do. The Bay Area is simply breathtaking, and other than New York, I can't think of another city I find more interesting just to walk around in than San Francisco.

Nevertheless, California is crazy expensive and overcrowded. I couldn't even fathom moving there from Alabama. We would have to step really far down in housing quality (I guess you substitute that with the great setting and things to see/do). That's going to be true for people in many parts of the country, aside from those living in overpriced large metros like DC, NYC, and Boston. On the other hand, Texas is still reasonably affordable and even very affordable in many parts. That has to be a big factor for many in making a decision about CA versus TX. Affordable housing leaves you with a lot more income to save and spend elsewhere. But I guess it really depends on what you value; I'm just wagering that many average families are going to place affordability ahead of stunning setting/climate with completely unaffordable housing.

Like many, I don't think the Arctic outbreak in Texas will be much of a lasting memory among those who may consider CA versus TX. Yes, Texas can get cold, but the problem with this event was the bizarre long duration. I think Dallas was below 20° for about 4 consecutive days? That is simply freakish and is the main reason for the frozen pipes, extreme overuse of power, etc. Sure, there are brief dips down to 10° or a little lower in occasional winters, but a long stretch like that in the single digits and teens? That is a historic outbreak that might be experienced a few times in an entire lifetime.
its not really the 20 degrees for four days. It is a lack of infrastructure, poorly constructed buildings with pipes breaking, weird politics ala support for an individual the likes of Ted Cruz, lack of following guidelines during the pandemic, and just so many oddities that would turn me off of a place like Texas. Of course I grew up in California, the two states are the ying and yang of America in my eyes, only surpassed by MA and TX.

Old 02-22-2021, 09:55 AM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDave View Post

I know right. That would be disastrous in the northeast where it never gets below 20 for four days.

Old 02-25-2021, 11:36 PM

6,725 posts, read 6,718,975 times
I'd say they have different futures. Texas raises about 1/50th the venture capital of California and isn't gaining on it. It's hard to see it ever becoming as innovative. At the same time, California's one of the worst run states and so many people here are willing to trade basic freedoms for bureaucratic controls. They're like left-wing QAnon believers, ignoring facts and data to commit to a nonsensical cause. So if you're not part of the innovative economy, it becomes very challenging to live here.

Old 02-27-2021, 08:20 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,396,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Gonna be hard to overpopulate a State as big as France with half the population and over a 3rd larger than California.
Not really since most people often live enclosed in certain metros.

Old 02-27-2021, 11:12 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,167,272 times
Both will have areas with bright futures, and within each there will be winners and losers.

The major cities of Texas will continue to be economic drivers and most people move for jobs, but prices are going up quickly in all except for San Antonio so the COL will not be as competitive in ten years or so. The influx will slow down at that time as fewer people move to escape high COL areas. Big swaths of the state like Gulf Coast and Panhandle will not really see much change IMHO.

Coastal California has natural beauty and weather and there will always be people who will pay a premium to live there. The less desirable parts of the state will stagnate or even decline like they're doing right now, but I don't see that trend accelerate unless the wildfires become too much. Some of the places in between like Sacramento will likely see growth.

Old 02-27-2021, 02:36 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,657,112 times
Texas. California is shooting themselves on the foot.

Old 02-27-2021, 09:38 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,801,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
The major cities of Texas will continue to be economic drivers and most people move for jobs, but prices are going up quickly in all except for San Antonio...
Houston and SA prices are similar. And having more amenities you get a better value for your buck.
DFW, and especially Austin are more expensive. But they also have stronger job markets.

Old 02-28-2021, 06:01 AM

6,540 posts, read 12,037,130 times
Not sure how much this would impact the future for the state as a whole, but Texas was stated to get the country's first true bullet train, likely before California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City