Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pacific Coast Beaches vs Atlantic Coast Beaches
Pacific Coast 30 38.46%
Atlantic Coast 48 61.54%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 07:10 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,990,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
You don't think places along the Atlantic Coast don't have a lot of that stuff too? Then what about places like the Jersey Shore with all the boardwalks/amusement parks? That stuff is comparatively lacking along the Pacific Coast.

For the most part I think the Atlantic Coast is more user friendly and has more going on along its coastline than the Pacific. Outside of Southern CA the Pacific Coast is sparsely populated with few cities or much going on, mostly just small tourist towns.
Yeah that doesn't really make any sense, you need more skill to handle the bigger waves of the west coast.

No I think you can do basically the same things on Pacific coast beaches than Atlantic coast beaches. except surfing and maybe boogie boarding. And the vibe of Southern CA beaches like Venice which is famous because its so unique and active.

Quote:
Then what about places like the Jersey Shore with all the boardwalks/amusement parks? That stuff is comparatively lacking along the Pacific Coast.
Santa Monica pier?, Hermosa Beach pier? Malibu Pier? not sure what the count is on the east coast. I would be interested in knowing that.

OK actually as a whole yes, the Beaches outside of Southern & Central CA are lacking compared to the entire Atlantic Coastline.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:10 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_winter_breeze View Post
Yes and no.

Smaller waves, means smaller momentum. Novices won't be able to catch them, they will stand up, fall back down.

Now bigger waves means more danger. Novices will have an easier time catching waves (if they have the balls to stand up - a lot of novices get very scared when the waves peak over 10' ) but also have an easier time being hurt.
Generally novices learn on small waves, you don't see them catching 6' waves their first time

Old 01-17-2016, 07:15 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
No I think you can do basically the same things on Pacific coast beaches than Atlantic coast beaches. except surfing and maybe boogie boarding.
You can't even comfortably swim outside of Southern CA or really do anything without a wetsuit. I think the thing most people do when they go to the beach, lay out and tan and go swimming people don't really do along the majority of the coastline.

The Pacific Coast has its advantages but I don't think beach activities is one of them.
Quote:
Santa Monica pier?, Hermosa Beach pier? Malibu Pier? not sure what the count is on the east coast. I would be interested in knowing that.
Santa Monica Pier is the only one that can even compare. Hermosa? Malibu? Those aren't remotely similar and are literally just piers with no amusement rides or anything on or near them. The count is far higher overall. I can only think of 3 on the entire west coast (Santa Monica, Santa Cruz, and Mission Beach) than can compare.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:20 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,990,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
You can't even comfortably swim outside of Southern CA or really do anything without a wetsuit. I think the thing most people do when they go to the beach, lay out and tan and go swimming people don't really do along the majority of the coastline.

The Pacific Coast has its advantages but I don't think beach activities is one of them.
Santa Monica Pier is the only one that can even compare. Hermosa? Malibu? Those aren't remotely similar and are literally just piers with no amusement rides or anything on or near them. The count is far higher overall. I can only think of 3 on the entire west coast (Santa Monica, Santa Cruz, and Mission Beach) than can compare.
Well... It seems that you are right overall. I was actually thinking of redondo beach not hermosa beach, which is going through a major renovation if you want to check it out. No amusement rides but still pretty nice.

But yeah, I'll take Southern CA beaches overall but outside of that then Atlantic coast.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:54 PM

822 posts, read 856,483 times
you all know there is more theres more to the Atlantic coast than just Florida. New England has a great coast.. variety of scenery from CT to Maine ... and the water on the south coast of RI and Cape Cod gets in the 70s

Old 01-19-2016, 09:24 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,167 times
If this doesn't include the Emerald Coast (Gulf), or the Western Coastline of Florida then the gap is not as big as some may seem. But if we're including the Gulfcoast, as well as the Keys I give it to the AC Beaches.

Old 01-19-2016, 02:20 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Basically all Atlantic Coast beaches, from ME to FL, are swimmable in the summer. Some (mostly FL) are even swimmable year round. On the West Coast, you can't really "enjoy" the beach (IMO, the way I like to enjoy it - laying on a warm sandy beach and being able to go into the ocean to cool off without freezing your butt off in the water) above California. Really Southern CA is where the best beach culture is at. Those beaches are beautiful, don't get me wrong, but water is colder than the East Coast. Yes, Maine water is pretty cold but in late August in Southern ME I've seen it in the low 70s, and it IS doable for most of the summer. Never been in Northern ME though. That/parts of New England in general may be the only areas on the East Coast that are a little too cold (ocean temps) to really enjoy in the summer. The further South you go, the warmer it gets and temps blow CA out of the water (no pun intended).

IMHO, comparing the entirety of both coasts, this is a no brainer for the East.

Old 01-19-2016, 02:39 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
NJ alone has six boardwalks/piers with amusement and/or water parks: Keansburg (on the Raritan Bay but still considered coastal), Point Pleasant Beach, Seaside Heights, Atlantic City, Ocean City, and Wildwood Crest. Other boardwalks also have small arcades or little rides for really little kids (Cape May has I think 2 arcades and tiny rides here and there, I mean tiny; also Seaside Park has part of the Seaside Heights boardwalk within it, including half of one of the piers and some arcades). I may be missing some in NJ... I probably am. I know there is an amusement park on LBI in NJ (a barrier island) but I don't think it's on a boardwalk.

Off the top of my head there is Coney Island in New York, Ocean City in Maryland, and Virginia Beach, VA. York Beach, Maine, has a beachfront arcade and bowling alley, and within walking distance to the beach there is an amusement park.

Old 01-19-2016, 02:42 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
OK actually as a whole yes, the Beaches outside of Southern & Central CA are lacking compared to the entire Atlantic Coastline.
The beaches north of southern Carlifornia have better scenery.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:55 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,173,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Basically all Atlantic Coast beaches, from ME to FL, are swimmable in the summer. Some (mostly FL) are even swimmable year round. On the West Coast, you can't really "enjoy" the beach (IMO, the way I like to enjoy it - laying on a warm sandy beach and being able to go into the ocean to cool off without freezing your butt off in the water) above California. Really Southern CA is where the best beach culture is at. Those beaches are beautiful, don't get me wrong, but water is colder than the East Coast. Yes, Maine water is pretty cold but in late August in Southern ME I've seen it in the low 70s, and it IS doable for most of the summer. Never been in Northern ME though. That/parts of New England in general may be the only areas on the East Coast that are a little too cold (ocean temps) to really enjoy in the summer. The further South you go, the warmer it gets and temps blow CA out of the water (no pun intended).

IMHO, comparing the entirety of both coasts, this is a no brainer for the East.
Southern California's coast had SSTs in the 70s from July through early November this year; the water even hit 80 F a few times in San Diego in August and September; warmer than your Jersey Shore. With these air temperatures in those months, you still consider it too cold to sunbathe and swim?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City