Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pacific Coast Beaches vs Atlantic Coast Beaches
Pacific Coast 30 38.46%
Atlantic Coast 48 61.54%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 02:54 PM

699 posts, read 605,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Except all the people in these threads and that link I posted:
//www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...arm-sunny.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...mperature.html

As well as this chart: SWIMMING AND WATER TEMPERATURE INDEX

You can have whatever preferences you want but stop trying to tell others what they find comfortable and what they don't.
You will die from hypothermia in 70 degree water within several hours, how is that comfortable? How is that a preference?

Some people prefer committing suicide I guess as well.

Old 01-25-2016, 02:57 PM

18,960 posts, read 32,424,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityguy7 View Post
Actually that's exactly where I'm lost in the whole point of your statement. Like I already said the Atlantic is still an ocean, you are a puny human being in comparison.

Even the tallest of dudes in a place like Daytona Beach for example, will have to stop after a certain point, because if they go any deeper the waves will be big enough to go over their heads, devour them, drown them, send them to the hospital, the morgue...
I never said anything about water depth, implied the Atlantic isn't as dangerous as any other ocean, or whatever and I really have no clue how you inferred this stuff from my statement about playing in the waves.

I remember boogie boarding in Daytona Beach so clearly they had big enough waves for that.

Quote:
If your goal is to break surfing records, yes you will find the Atlantic lacking in comparison (the US side anyways). Having large enough waves to play in with your physical body however is not among the issues. In fact it's better in the Atlantic strictly due to the fact that it's warmer. So yeah that's kind of where I'm lost on the point. Unless you were just comparing waves vs non waves in general, which might come in useful in some ocean vs lake debate.
Again I don't surf, the Pacific is better overall for waves and if you like playing in them. Though I'm sure parts of the Atlantic get decent enough waves to enjoy as well in summer, Daytona for example from what I remember.

And water temperature doesn't make surfing any better aside from a comfort perspective. Surfers prefer good waves over water temps. And isn't the best surfing in the Atlantic in winter, like most places, so in that case you're probably even worse off for water temps.

Old 01-25-2016, 02:58 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,423,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_winter_breeze View Post
I would love when Miami returns to the 80s, these 70s are too cool for me. Though tomorrow we will upper 70s.

I go in a couple weeks to Switzerland ski, I don't want to deal with cold weather before then.

Point is
.nobody else does.

Your weather sucks.

Old 01-25-2016, 02:59 PM

Quote:
You will die from hypothermia in 70 degree water within several hours, how is that comfortable? How is that a preference?

Some people prefer committing suicide I guess as well.
Nobody is staying in that long nor is anyone dying from swimming in 70 degree water so your point is completely irrelevant but you keep latching on to it because that's all you have at this point.

Old 01-25-2016, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Nobody is staying in that long nor is anyone dying from swimming in 70 degree water so your point is completely irrelevant but you keep latching on to it because that's all you have at this point.
If you're going to die within 4 hours. Even the first 10 minutes won't be comfortable.

Anyone can be a homer - and claim they like 70 degrees to win some silly CD thread. And anyone can be ignorant and think 70 degree water is warm - because they think it should be warm.

I'm here to keep you honest

Old 01-25-2016, 03:08 PM

Quote:
If you're going to die within 4 hours. Even the first 10 minutes won't be comfortable.

Anyone can be a homer - and claim they like 70 degrees to win some silly CD thread. And anyone can be ignorant and think 70 degree water is warm - because they think it should be warm.

I'm here to keep you honest
Find me some sort of chart or anything that says that . You basically made that up. If you're going to be honest then stop making up statements like that

Nobody is trying to win anything in the San Diego forum as it wasn't a competition, it's actually how they feel.

Old 01-25-2016, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Find me some sort of chart or anything that says that . You basically made that up. If you're going to be honest then stop making up statements like that
So you think that water will kill you inside 4 hours will be comfortable the first 10 minutes?

In what universe do you live in?

Old 01-25-2016, 03:11 PM

Quote:
After two hours in 60-degree Fahrenheit water, your risk of unconsciousness and death by drowning increases to 50 percent. When water is cold, your body sends more blood to your core -- away from the muscles in your limbs that you need for swimming. You can tolerate cold-water swimming for more time when wearing a wet suit, neoprene cap, gloves and booties. For example, USA Triathlon permits competitors to wear wet suits in water colder than 78 degrees.
What Water Temperatures Are Warm Enough for Swimming? | LIVESTRONG.COM

Anything colder than 78 is cold for the USA Triathlon.

Wow.

Old 01-25-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
So you think that water will kill you inside 4 hours will be comfortable the first 10 minutes?

In what universe do you live in?
Yes I do, I've swam in 70 degree water A LOT and after a few minutes am plenty comfortable. Other people have too.

I have provided two threads talking about how much people like swimming in 70 degree water. It's in a local forum and not a comparison or competitive thread so no one is trying to be a homer and win anything. You just have some extreme inability to recognize other people's preferences for some odd reason.

Old 01-25-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Water varying from 83-86 degrees Fahrenheit (28-30 degrees Celsius) is the most comfortable temperature for typical water fitness classes and general aquatic programming.
USA Swimming - AIR AND WATER TEMPERATURE GUIDELINES
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City