Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Los Angeles vs St Louis
Gateway City to the West (St Louis) 27 26.21%
City of Angels (Los Angeles) 66 64.08%
Horrible Horrible Cities 10 9.71%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 12:00 PM

16,075 posts, read 10,732,474 times

Advertisements

Silly comparison but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
Los Angeles vs St Louis

-Better Traffic -- StL
-Better Public Transportation -- LA?? LA highway congestion I guess coupled with two hour commutes?
-Cost of Living -- StL
-Better Sports -- StL (TTFN NFL) Rams won't be missed. Best baseball fans in America.
-Best Economy -- LA, duh -- 3rd behind NYC and Tokyo
-Best Theme Parks -- yawn....who cares?
-Hollywood Sign vs The Arch (Most Iconic) -- the Arch (the sign was cute...once)
-Most Iconic Sports Team -- StL Cardinals (what's a Laker?)
-Best Parks (Forrest Park in Stl is Great) (Griffith Park in L.A is Wonderful) StL
-Best to Live/Visit -- visiting LA is nice. Living in StL is nicer
-Best River -- StL
-Best Weather/temps - LA...when not on fire. StL can be brutal.
-Best Air Quality -- StL
-Best Beach -- LA
-Best Earthquakes -- hmmm...toss up
-Best History -- StL is older
-Best BBQ -- StL
-Best Sushi -- LA
-Best Housing (affordability) -- StL
-Best MLS team -- LA...to St. Louis' shame
-Best Access to Kardashians -- LA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 01:31 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,884,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
The Best Quality of Life in the Country is in the Los Angeles area.Even New Yorkers move out here for a better lifestyle.

Above all,St Louis is in trouble like Detroit is.A few cities may completely die out in the next 10 year.
What? There are people all over the country that moved out of LA because most people can't even afford to enjoy that quality of life.

Old 01-19-2016, 05:46 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,427,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
I think Sports teams are a poor way to measure the quality of life in a city. That said, the Lakers are way more iconic than the Cardinals. 16 titles (11 of them in LA). I have seen LA Lakers jerseys in Brazil and many other places. Not the St. Louis Cardinals.

As for cultural institutions: LA wins in a landslide.
I agree sports teams are a poor way as well; I think the recent Rams move is what spurred that category, but that's only an assumption obviously.

And LA may have better cultural institutions, however STL has free ones. The Art Museum has one of the largest collections of modern art, the Zoo is regularly ranked in the top 5, both of which are free (this is huge and contributes to the COL argument) among many other highly regarded cultural institutions.

And to be honest, your anecdote of seeing a Lakers Jersey in Brazil doesn't mean much. I've seen Cardinals hats in Paris; big f'ing deal.

Old 01-19-2016, 05:48 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,427,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Tell that to the ratings of the recent finals vs the world series NBA>MLB. NBA>MLB also from the entertainment standpoint as well.
He's talking about in terms of international popularity, not with American television viewer ratings.

Old 01-19-2016, 05:52 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,412,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanRam View Post
-Best to Live/Visit- to visit, LA wins hands down, but to live is a very different question. I think it all depends on your income level and your profession. As someone said earlier, middle class for STL, uber rich for LA. Not only is STL affordable, it also has a tremendous amount of free activities like a world-class Zoo.
So true. St. Louis is affordable enough where people in their 20's can own property. It's not a world-class city like LA is, but STL is a fine city in its own way.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:11 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,341,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
So true. St. Louis is affordable enough where people in their 20's can own property. It's not a world-class city like LA is, but STL is a fine city in its own way.
STL is definitely a city I wouldn't be too bummed about living in. It's no LA, but not many places are. Personally, I'm looking to live in a more affordable city for a while, pay my debts down much quicker, travel more, maybe move abroad, retire early, etc. That's not possible with LA prices.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:15 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,880,874 times
I would much rather "live" in StL. LA just doesn't appeal to me as place to live. San Francisco or San Diego, sure, but not LA.

StL is actually a pretty cool city and metro. It's too bad it's getting such a bad reputation.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:24 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,186,058 times
Quote:
He's talking about in terms of international popularity, not with American television viewer ratings.
The NBA and basketball is more popular than MLB and baseball internationally as well. The MLB is popular in the Americas and Japan. The NBA is popular in every continent.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:27 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,487,463 times
Quote:

And LA may have better cultural institutions, however STL has free ones. The Art Museum has one of the largest collections of modern art, the Zoo is regularly ranked in the top 5, both of which are free (this is huge and contributes to the COL argument) among many other highly regarded cultural institutions.
That's awesome, but LA has plenty of free well acclaimed cultural attractions as well: The Broad (contemporary art museum, just opened), the Getty museum, Griffith Observatory and the California Science Center, just to name some.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:32 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,412,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
STL is definitely a city I wouldn't be too bummed about living in. It's no LA, but not many places are. Personally, I'm looking to live in a more affordable city for a while, pay my debts down much quicker, travel more, maybe move abroad, retire early, etc. That's not possible with LA prices.
Yup same here. I'll never go back to living in one of the super expensive cities, mainly because I'm looking at buying a condo soon. And I find that cities like St. Louis can satisfy me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City