Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Denver vs Minneapolis
Denver 129 53.97%
Minneapolis 110 46.03%
Voters: 239. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 11:49 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,700,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
I imagine Denver has cleaned up the smog that used to hang in a low cloud around the city. My grandparents lived in Colorado, and each time we neared Denver, there was a cloud of light brown around the city. Granted, this was decades ago...that's why I assume it's been cleaned up. Actually, I just Googled it, looks like it's still there.

https://www.google.com/search?q=smog...NvwQ2FhVU8M%3A
Way to nitpick, Lol. Denver only looks like that during certain times. The weather patterns blow the smog out the city. It's not LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper23 View Post
Did not expect Denver to take down Minny like this.... always thought these were the two most evenly matched cities. Interesting...
C-D is a very inconsistent way to measure popularity though. If this poll was done a few years ago (which it has) Denver would have never been ahead of the Twin Cities
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Come on, dude. MSP is bleak? The landscape around here is generally rolling woodland and lush river valleys interspersed with farmland. In Minneapolis alone, there are scenic waterfalls, river gorges, a chain of popular and well-recreated lakes, and some of the finest urban parkland in the country.

Have you...ever seen the environment surrounding Denver? Sure, the Front Range is 20 miles on the horizon, but the actual city is in a treeless, semiarid wasteland. I mean, you're really grasping at straws for reasons to jab the Twin Cities.
It's unfair to say The Twin Cities are bleak. They have nice scenery and the landscape is generally nice to look at. But I have to say that you're wrong about Denver. Well, not completely. People always like to bring up how "treeless and flat" Denver is, but that's not even completely true. You can't use the airport and plains as a reference point. It may not be natural, but the city of Denver has plenty of trees and hilly landscape throughout the metro.

Last edited by Mezter; 02-13-2016 at 12:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2016, 08:03 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,597,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
C-D is a very inconsistent way to measure popularity though. If this poll was done a few years ago (which it has) Denver would have never been ahead of the Twin Cities.
I agree with this. I also think asking this question in the dead of winter causes people to look at the two cities differently than if this were asked during spring/summer/fall.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:48 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,985,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper23 View Post
Did not expect Denver to take down Minny like this.... always thought these were the two most evenly matched cities. Interesting...
Quote:
C-D is a very inconsistent way to measure popularity though. If this poll was done a few years ago (which it has) Denver would have never been ahead of the Twin Cities
Denver just happens to be the current flavor of the week for white hipsters and of course for those who insist on getting high on a regular basis. I guarantee the majority of people voting for Denver have never stepped foot in Minneapolis. Hell, I'm willing to bet a few of those same people have never been to Denver. I also see some of the regular trolls posting here and I'm 99.9% certain they voted for Denver. So, that's at least a handful of useless, troll votes that have gone towards Denver.

The fact is if one was to survey people who have lived in or actually visited both cities, the results would be a bit different and very close. I blew out one of my knees so, I no longer snowboard or ski, which makes CO less appealing to me. I still visit because I have family and friends throughout the range, but Denver is... meh IMO.

Last edited by YIMBY; 02-13-2016 at 12:05 PM..

Old 02-14-2016, 06:47 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,929,707 times
Denver by a long shot. Amazing mountains to climb nearby.

Old 02-14-2016, 06:53 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,072,296 times
"""Denver just happens to be the current flavor of the week"""

Flavor of the week?? Come on now! Don't be a silly homer! Denver has been one of the top 10 fastest growing cities for a decade now! Some articles here locally have said it is now the most expensive metro in the US for homes, that is not on the East or West coast. And Denver is only meh? Than what does that make minne? bleh? Admit it! Minne is loosing the poll. Denver has a TON of stuff going for it! And it's 60's and 70's all week!!!!!!!!

Old 02-14-2016, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
"""Denver just happens to be the current flavor of the week"""

Flavor of the week?? Come on now! Don't be a silly homer! Denver has been one of the top 10 fastest growing cities for a decade now! Some articles here locally have said it is now the most expensive metro in the US for homes, that is not on the East or West coast. And Denver is only meh? Than what does that make minne? bleh? Admit it! Minne is loosing the poll. Denver has a TON of stuff going for it! And it's 60's and 70's all week!!!!!!!!
Silly homer? Says one of the biggest, uneducated homers on this site. I've been to Denver enough to know that it doesn't blow Minneapolis away nor does it blow away any other major US city.

As far as your claim about Denver being one of the top 10 fastest growing cities for a decade - you might want to check your information because you're wrong. Also, you state Denver being the most expensive metro like it's something to be proud of. In addition to being overrated, the Denver market is overpriced; the prices are increasing much faster than income; and the supply of affordable homes and apartments for low and middle-income families is shrinking. If / when the Denver economy and job gains slow, good luck. One would be a fool to buy there right now. Anywho, the mountains are great and some of the mountain towns are cool, but most of Colorado's cities, Denver included, are nothing special - at all. You also ignorantly mentioned that Denver has a ton of stuff going for it. As does almost every other major US city. Seriously, get out and travel some.

Finally, I find it funny how all you Denvernites bring temps into the conversation like it never gets cold there. I've been to Denver during winter months and I know how cold it can get. Point is - if I or any of the other 3.5 million+ residents cared, Minneapolis wouldn't be part of this conversation.

Last edited by YIMBY; 02-14-2016 at 11:24 PM..

Old 02-15-2016, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
Denver just happens to be the current flavor of the week for white hipsters and of course for those who insist on getting high on a regular basis.
Okay, let's not downgrade Denver. The poll results may be inconsistent (and really don't even matter in the grand scheme of things) but Denver is a pretty popular place to be at the moment.
Quote:
Silly homer? Says one of the biggest, uneducated homers on this site. I've been to Denver enough to know that it doesn't blow Minneapolis away nor does it blow away any other major US city.
No, it doesn't blow the Twin Cities or most other major US cities away at all...but neither do the Twin Cities...

Quote:
As far as your claim about Denver being one of the top 10 fastest growing cities for a decade - you might want to check your information because you're wrong. Also, you state Denver being the most expensive metro like it's something to be proud of. In addition to being overrated, the Denver market is overpriced; the prices are increasing much faster than income; and the supply of affordable homes and apartments for low and middle-income families is shrinking. If / when the Denver economy and job gains slow, good luck. One would be a fool to buy there right now. Anywho, the mountains are great and some of the mountain towns are cool, but most of Colorado's cities, Denver included, are nothing special - at all. You also ignorantly mentioned that Denver has a ton of stuff going for it. As does almost every other major US city. Seriously, get out and travel some.
Maybe not for decades, but for the past decade or so Denver has been one of the top 10 fastest growing metros in the country. Of course this growth can't/won't continue forever and perhaps it may not be great for the economy in the long run, but for now the prices are due to high demand. Denver is not the only place that has a lot going for it, but we can't kid ourselves into thinking all cities are making huge strides.
Quote:
Finally, I find it funny how all you Denvernites bring temps into the conversation like it never gets cold there. I've been to Denver during winter months and I know how cold it can get. Point is - if I or any of the other 3.5 million+ residents cared, Minneapolis wouldn't be part of this conversation.
I'm well aware that Minneapolis has times where the weather is great. But overall, the winters are not comparable. Denver gets very cold, but when people say it doesn't last for weeks on end (like many northern cities) that's the truth. For instance, it's been/will be in the 60s and 70 after a huge blizzard, which isn't uncommon here. That's why it's considered a more mild 4 seasons climate. Not because it doesn't get very cold from time to time. Minneapolis has probably one of the most harsh 4 season climates on the other hand. Now, that's not to say it's unlivable or even a bad thing. Denver's winter climate is just a bit more bearable for most.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:56 AM

Quote:
No, it doesn't blow the Twin Cities or most other major US cities away at all...but neither do the Twin Cities...
Did I state that the Twin Cities blow other major US away? Nope.

Quote:
Maybe not for decades, but for the past decade or so Denver has been one of the top 10 fastest growing metros in the country.
You say metro whereas MilehiDenver says city. So which one is it?

Quote:
Denver's winter climate is just a bit more bearable for most.
I don't think anyone has tried to claim the opposite is true.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Did I state that the Twin Cities blow other major US away? Nope.
But where was it stated that Denver blows the Twin Cities away?

Quote:
You say metro whereas MilehiDenver says city. So which one is it?
Well A metro is a better way of measuring a cities growth and population, wouldn't you say?

Old 02-15-2016, 01:59 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,808,302 times
Quote:

As far as your claim about Denver being one of the top 10 fastest growing cities for a decade - you might want to check your information because you're wrong. Also, you state Denver being the most expensive metro like it's something to be proud of. In addition to being overrated, the Denver market is overpriced; the prices are increasing much faster than income; and the supply of affordable homes and apartments for low and middle-income families is shrinking. If / when the Denver economy and job gains slow, good luck. One would be a fool to buy there right now.
DEN is growing fast - up there with ATL/PHX/Orlando etc. You can't deny it's growing much faster than the Twin Cities and that more young people want to live in DEN.

You think DEN is overpriced? Try going ANYWHERE else on the coasts: SFO, LA, NYC, MIA, BOS, DC all more expensive. The avg price in the metro area is around 300K very reasonable compared to LA/NY/SF.

You spell doom and gloom for DEN but it's only because MSP is losing the poll and you're an obvious apologist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City