Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Denver vs Minneapolis
Denver 129 53.97%
Minneapolis 110 46.03%
Voters: 239. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 11:14 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,983,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
If anything the fact that people make the same amount of money but are willing to pay more for Denver speaks at lengths to it's desirability when compared to Minneapolis.

It almost seems as if low cost of living is a consolation for living in Midwestern states.
Geeezus. Another idiotic statement by someone who doesn't live in either Denver or Minneapolis. If anything, it's just more proof that Americans are really stupid. Honestly, moving to a city you can't afford - makes a lot of sense.

Let me guess - you will be moving to Denver with N610DL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 11:26 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,857,521 times
Denver. Milder winters and the Rockies overwhelmingly make Denver better than Minneapolis in my opinion.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:15 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,182,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
If anything the fact that people make the same amount of money but are willing to pay more for Denver speaks at lengths to it's desirability when compared to Minneapolis.

It almost seems as if low cost of living is a consolation for living in Midwestern states.
It shows some delusion, and some favoritism, yeah. Not the smartest investment choice, nonetheless, all other things being equal.

"Low cost of living" is the battle cry for almost everyone in the South as well. Do you also hate the South?

Old 02-17-2016, 08:20 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,182,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Denver. Milder winters and the Rockies overwhelmingly make Denver better than Minneapolis in my opinion.
This must be why Denver is one of the fastest growing metros in the country. I can respect that, and realize it's much more popular than Minneapolis, but am not sure it's necessarily always a good thing. One silver lining to a city like Minneapolis is that, no matter how bad the weather is, there are still people who choose to live there and deal with it because the city has that much to offer, which I think speaks volumes about the city, and keeps those with thin skin away.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:32 AM

591 posts, read 819,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
Geeezus. Another idiotic statement by someone who doesn't live in either Denver or Minneapolis. If anything, it's just more proof that Americans are really stupid. Honestly, moving to a city you can't afford - makes a lot of sense.

Let me guess - you will be moving to Denver with N610DL.
It's not an idiotic statement actually. You pay for what you get.
Things in SF (for example) would be leaps and bounds more exciting than things in Omaha (sorry Omaha). Most people can agree on that. But you have to pay a lot more for that excitement.
To some people, living in an environment like that in their 20's and 30's is worth more than saving a little more money in the long run. It's all personal preference.
And believe it or not, a lot of people can actually afford to live in those expensive cities!

Old 02-18-2016, 12:03 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,983,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper23 View Post
It's not an idiotic statement actually. You pay for what you get.
Things in SF (for example) would be leaps and bounds more exciting than things in Omaha (sorry Omaha). Most people can agree on that. But you have to pay a lot more for that excitement.
To some people, living in an environment like that in their 20's and 30's is worth more than saving a little more money in the long run. It's all personal preference.
I agree - personal preference. As I stated earlier, I no longer ski or snowboard so I don't take advantage of the mountains like I once did. Denver does nothing for me as it doesn't offer up anything more that what I expect or need in a major, US city. I'm not willing to pay more for the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper23 View Post
And believe it or not, a lot of people can actually afford to live in those expensive cities!
A lot, but not most.

Old 02-18-2016, 03:06 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,101,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
This must be why Denver is one of the fastest growing metros in the country. I can respect that, and realize it's much more popular than Minneapolis, but am not sure it's necessarily always a good thing. One silver lining to a city like Minneapolis is that, no matter how bad the weather is, there are still people who choose to live there and deal with it because the city has that much to offer, which I think speaks volumes about the city, and keeps those with thin skin away.
Yes the weather is milder but....

There's a different dynamic with Denver than with most city v. city comparisons. People move to Minneapolis because they like Minneapolis. People move to Denver because of an ongoing national romance with Colorado. The prospect of living next to the Rockies gets a lot of people very excited, perhaps even a little starry eyed.

Last year's Harris Poll has Denver as the #3 "Get to City" and the State of Colorado as #4. These folks don't care about MSA's or any other boring city statistic. Emotionally - They're gone.

Health & Life - The Beach Beckons: Florida, California, Hawaii Top States Where Americans Want to Live

Old 03-22-2016, 08:32 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,390,563 times
I prefer Minneapolis due to more population.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:31 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,088,722 times
Stay in the Midwest or move back to Menver...I'd rather stay in the Midwest. In Denver, you're paying ridiculous prices for basically Indianapolis (i.e. a land locked state capital that isn't exactly buzzing with excitement) near some mountains. Nobody goes to Denver for vacation. They fly into Denver and get out ASAP. It is also definitely one of the most smug and most pretentious cities in America.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:49 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,693,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
Stay in the Midwest or move back to Menver...I'd rather stay in the Midwest. In Denver, you're paying ridiculous prices for basically Indianapolis (i.e. a land locked state capital that isn't exactly buzzing with excitement) near some mountains. Nobody goes to Denver for vacation. They fly into Denver and get out ASAP. It is also definitely one of the most smug and most pretentious cities in America.
Literally no substance in this post. Denver isn't a vacation spot, but neither are the Twin Cities? If people wanted to get out of Denver so bad, it wouldn't be one of the top 10 fastest growing major US cities. Not that Indianpolis is bad, but they're not a like at all. What about them are the same? And lastly, how is Denver one of the most pretentious cities in the US?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City