Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Denver vs Minneapolis
Denver 129 53.97%
Minneapolis 110 46.03%
Voters: 239. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 10:13 AM

345 posts, read 809,789 times

Advertisements

based on quality of life, things to do, people, food, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 03:10 PM

no write ups yet?

Old 01-20-2016, 04:02 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,954,514 times
Denver.

I like the city in general and it is seeing a pretty strong amount of infill in the core (especially downtown and surrounding areas (especially LoDo)), aggressively expanding public transit, it was already hitting above its weight class on coverage there as it is, pretty healthy growth prospects and economy, a very outdoorsy culture in the surrounding areas (Boulder), pretty live and let live, a solid airport, coupled to go with solid diversity and food options. Pretty good nightlife, especially the drinking scene. Most of the stores and brands one could want is in Greater Denver, as are professional sports teams in all 5 of the major sports leagues (MLB, MLS, NBA, NHL, NFL). Pretty good in terms of college educated and knowledge based industries, successful sports teams relative to other cities, great infrastructure, and a progressive political climate both at city and state level. Not to mention the beautiful Rockies and proximity to awesome smalltowns like Aspen and Vail.

It is in the Intermountain West, one of my favorite regions of the United States (somewhere along with the Pacific Northwest, Desert Southwest, HI, AK, parts of CA, TX, FL, and the metropolitan areas of New York, New Orleans, and Madison).

Old 01-20-2016, 04:57 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
Minneapolis. While both cities offer similar things, mountain cities don't do much for me. I much prefer all the lakes and nature that Minneapolis has. Also, strictly as a city, MSP seems more urban.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:41 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,386,038 times
Denver, but it's very close. I've lived in each region where these were the hub cities, so within 2-3 hours drive and I have family in both.

The Denver of 10-15 years ago was better than the Denver of today, but that's off topic. Denver is closer to real skiing, so that's good. Both of them have hot summers, but Denver's winters are milder. Much drier and less bone-chilling. Both have hot summers, but again, Denver's are drier so more bearable.

Both are sprawled out, most folks live in suburbs of either.

People in MSP are much much nicer than Denverites many of whom tend to be nosy nouveau riche douchebags.

Like I said, It's very close.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:35 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
The Twin Cities are beautiful. Spent the first 10 years of my life about 100 miles southeast of there. That being said I'd never wanna live there. Hate the humidity in the summer and the drawn out and bone-chilling winters.

All those lakes are nice, but give me a mountain vista anyday.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:25 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,693,806 times
I really hate to be another one to mention climate (I know it can be annoying), but the winters in Minneapolis is the only thing really keeping me from truly considering it as a place to live. I can barely deal with the mild winters in Denver.

Cost of living is also slightly higher in the Twin Cities (I think?) so that's another thing. I do however like the superior greenery and lakes are nice to look at. These are probably one of the most comparable major US cities. I think I'd slightly prefer Denver however.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I really hate to be another one to mention climate (I know it can be annoying), but the winters in Minneapolis is the only thing really keeping me from truly considering it as a place to live. I can barely deal with the mild winters in Denver.

Cost of living is also slightly higher in the Twin Cities (I think?) so that's another thing. I do however like the superior greenery and lakes are nice to look at. These are probably one of the most comparable major US cities. I think I'd slightly prefer Denver however.
I believe Minn COL has been consistently affordable while Denver is on the rise

Old 01-23-2016, 12:45 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,983,660 times
Live in Minneapolis, but spend a lot of time in Denver. Gotta go with Minneapolis. I like the diversity Minneapolis and St. Paul has to offer in terms of people, food, local music scene, etc... Denver is attracting A LOT of douchey people, which I can't stomach. Plus the COL in Denver is kinda ridiculous for being so remote.

Old 01-23-2016, 01:02 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,983,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
I like the city in general and it is seeing a pretty strong amount of infill in the core (especially downtown and surrounding areas (especially LoDo)), aggressively expanding public transit, it was already hitting above its weight class on coverage there as it is, pretty healthy growth prospects and economy, a very outdoorsy culture in the surrounding areas (Boulder), pretty live and let live, a solid airport, coupled to go with solid diversity and food options. Pretty good nightlife, especially the drinking scene. Most of the stores and brands one could want is in Greater Denver, as are professional sports teams in all 5 of the major sports leagues (MLB, MLS, NBA, NHL, NFL). Pretty good in terms of college educated and knowledge based industries, successful sports teams relative to other cities, great infrastructure, and a progressive political climate both at city and state level. Not to mention the beautiful Rockies and proximity to awesome smalltowns like Aspen and Vail.
The exact thing can be said about Minneapolis
- pretty strong amount of infill in the core (especially downtown and surrounding areas)
- expanding public transit
- healthy growth prospects and economy
- very outdoorsy culture
- a solid airport
- solid diversity and food options
- Pretty good nightlife
- Most of the stores and brands one could want
- professional sports teams in all 5 of the major sports leagues (MLB, MLS, NBA, NHL, NFL). MLS just chose MPLS-STPL for expansion. MPLS also has WNBA.
- Pretty good in terms of college educated and knowledge based industries
- etc
- etc
- etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City