Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 10:18 AM

2 posts, read 2,296 times

Advertisements

Well. Me and 3 of my friends, were Irish. Aged 22-23 are moving to America in the next year or so. We are all just fresh out of college with degrees in areas such as Business, Advertising, Engineering, Airline Engineering. We're stuck on one problem, we don't know which state we should move to! We are looking for a state on the East Coast, or a state bordering an East Coast state. We will all be sharing a property, things that we need to keep in mind are where are there jobs in this sector for young people, where the cost of living for the likes if us would be low, good transport links as we don't intend to purchase more than one car and finally we love Snow and Sun! So to recap we need somewhere on the east coast or extremely close, snowy winters, good for students, low cost of living and good transport links.Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 11:41 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,346,611 times
New York City and Washington, DC are out because of cost of living. They're both very pricey. Boston would be a consideration, but again, it can be quite pricey. I would say Philadelphia. It's an old, historic East Coast city. Only about an hour from the beaches in New Jersey. They definitely get snow in winter. There are quite a few universities in the area and it is a very large city, so it should be good for college students and recent graduates. It's not "cheap," but compared to it's neighboring cities of NYC and DC, it is VERY affordable! The public transit isn't as good as NYC or DC, though, but it is still possible to live there without a car.

Old 01-20-2016, 12:06 PM

54 posts, read 65,729 times
Richmond, VA could be perfect for you. It has a great business sector with 7 fortune 500 companies in the metro area. The marketing/advertising market in Richmond is premier with the Martin Agency, ND&P, and so many other great companies. VCU has a large engineering school which has a lot of activity in the metro. In Richmond there is the Commonwealth Center for Advanced Manufacturing and the Commonwealth Center for Aerospace Propulsion Systems. Each of you could definitely gain employment in the city and the cost of living is extremely reasonable (just above the national average and very low for the region/income potential).

Here is a great link to a video showing the city of Richmond:
[vimeo]151211353[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/151211353

Old 01-20-2016, 12:11 PM

Would you really say Richmond is a "snowy" city with good public transit though?

Old 01-20-2016, 12:14 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,135,673 times
Well, Richmond is about to get a blizzard.

Old 01-20-2016, 12:18 PM

37,137 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Philadelphia seems to be the best answer. Maybe Baltimore which is smaller than Philadelphia, cheaper, and has a usable but less good transit system. Baltimore also allows you to enter the DC job market with a longer commute but a much lower cost of living. It's got pretty bad crime figures but that, like any other US city, shifts greatly from neighborhood. Maybe Pittsburgh and Cleveland are candidates--they're further inland and their transit isn't as good though serviceable for a US city, but they're large enough to have the variety of employment sectors you're looking for and have even lower costs of living.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 01-20-2016 at 12:31 PM..

Old 01-20-2016, 12:18 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,177,144 times
Delaware!

Old 01-20-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Well, Richmond is about to get a blizzard.
True, but for someone seeking a "snowy city," I don't think Richmond is the first that comes to mind. But also, Idk enough about it to comment on public transit. Is it good there since that was part of the criteria?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Philadelphia seems to be the best answer. Maybe Baltimore which is smaller than Philadelphia, cheaper, and has a usable but less good transit system. Baltimore also allows you to enter the DC job market with a longer commute but a much lower cost of living. It's got pretty bad crime figures but that, like any other US city, shifts greatly from neighborhood. Maybe Pittsburgh and Cleveland are candidates.
I was thinking Baltimore, also, to suggest. But in the city limits the public transit just isn't as good as Philadelphia. From what I hear, though, it is possible to use only public transit in Baltimore, and then the job market of DC is opened up to you which is amazing! But if I were given a choice between Philadelphia and Baltimore and public transit access was a top priority, Philadelphia would be a clear winner. But I guess if we're just throwing out option, Baltimore would definitely be my #2 suggestion.

Pittsburgh too. Wasn't sure if that was close enough to the actual East Coast for the OP. I was hesitant to mention it lol. Is the public transit in Cleveland good, though? I've only heard great things about Columbus, Ohio too. But I'm not sure if the public transit is good there.

Old 01-20-2016, 02:00 PM

37,137 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
True, but for someone seeking a "snowy city," I don't think Richmond is the first that comes to mind. But also, Idk enough about it to comment on public transit. Is it good there since that was part of the criteria?

I was thinking Baltimore, also, to suggest. But in the city limits the public transit just isn't as good as Philadelphia. From what I hear, though, it is possible to use only public transit in Baltimore, and then the job market of DC is opened up to you which is amazing! But if I were given a choice between Philadelphia and Baltimore and public transit access was a top priority, Philadelphia would be a clear winner. But I guess if we're just throwing out option, Baltimore would definitely be my #2 suggestion.

Pittsburgh too. Wasn't sure if that was close enough to the actual East Coast for the OP. I was hesitant to mention it lol. Is the public transit in Cleveland good, though? I've only heard great things about Columbus, Ohio too. But I'm not sure if the public transit is good there.
Yea, just some options. He'll have to weigh the pros and cons of all of them. Cleveland does have a fairly large system for a US city of its size. It's one heavy rail lines, two light rail lines, and two bus rapid transit lines along with the usual assortment of buses. Its rail system is about the size of Baltimore's but has lower ridership.

Old 01-20-2016, 02:28 PM

93,294 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Maybe Buffalo, but I'm not sure how the financial industry is with some changes with a couple of the bigger companies in that industry changing hands or downsizing. It would fit much or most of the criteria, but make sure to do your research if interested. This is one of the companies I thought of: https://www.firstniagara.com/About_U...s/Careers.aspx

Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City