Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who has the classiest, cleanest, most posh downtown as a WHOLE?
Atlanta 2 0.88%
Boston 35 15.42%
Chicago 60 26.43%
Dallas 13 5.73%
Denver 5 2.20%
Houston 5 2.20%
Los Angeles 1 0.44%
New York City 35 15.42%
Philadelphia 8 3.52%
Phoenix 0 0%
San Diego 6 2.64%
San Francisco 19 8.37%
Seattle 15 6.61%
Washington, D.C. 23 10.13%
Voters: 227. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 10:08 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,254,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
San Francisco is the dream residence of lots of people around the world.
Wonder the response of those worldly "dreamers" who arrive only to find the town smells oh so terribly of . . . pee:

"Public urination has gotten so bad in San Francisco that the city has painted nine walls with a repellent paint that makes pee spray back on the offender." San Francisco using repellent paint to fight public urination | New York Post

Now that's one classy city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 10:30 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,499,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Wonder the response of those worldly "dreamers" who arrive only to find the town smells oh so terribly of . . . pee:

"Public urination has gotten so bad in San Francisco that the city has painted nine walls with a repellent paint that makes pee spray back on the offender." San Francisco using repellent paint to fight public urination | New York Post

Now that's one classy city.
Haha the fact that SF still ranks so highly in so many global rankings seems to perplex you so.

Well, like it or not, some cities have such broad international appeal that people forgive their negatives because its positives are so overwhelming.

SF is one such city. Philly probably not so much. Keep trying tho.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:41 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,341,528 times
Quote:
Haha the fact that SF still ranks so highly in so many global rankings seems to perplex you so.

Well, like it or not, some cities have such broad international appeal that people forgive their negatives because its positives are so overwhelming.

SF is one such city. Philly probably not so much. Keep trying tho.
You're avoiding the topic now. Cool. Yeah. People move to SF to chase their dream of living there. This adds no weight to the argument of SF being the most elegant or classy downtown. LA is #14, Miami #17, SD #25. Meanwhile, Chicago and Boston are winning our poll, yet are at 43 and 47, respectively, in your map. LA and Miami are from having elegant and classy downtowns, they're pretty high up the list. SF attracts expats for its unique culture, natural beauty, and economy. Not for its cleanliness, class, and elegance. Yeah, there are some classy and elegant facades of buildings, but it's a filthy city. Clearly the culture and the economy outweigh the negatives of SF in terms of peoples' choice to live there, but for the purposes of this poll, the negatives of SF are exactly why it can't win.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
You're avoiding the topic now. Cool. Yeah. People move to SF to chase their dream of living there. This adds no weight to the argument of SF being the most elegant or classy downtown. LA is #14, Miami #17, SD #25. Meanwhile, Chicago and Boston are winning our poll, yet are at 43 and 47, respectively, in your map.
Yeah, sort of makes this thread look rather silly then doesnt it? People who can live anywhere prefer the two cities most chastised for smelling like urine.

Hmmmm, I wonder why that is?

Quote:
SF attracts expats for its unique culture, natural beauty, and economy. Not for its cleanliness, class, and elegance.
Cleanliness is not synonymous with class and elegance. Hardly.

Quote:
Yeah, there are some classy and elegant facades of buildings, but it's a filthy city. Clearly the culture and the economy outweigh the negatives of SF in terms of peoples' choice to live there, but for the purposes of this poll, the negatives of SF are exactly why it can't win.
Like I said earlier:
Unless your Downtown has a Chanel boutique, street cars from Milan, Michelin star rated restaurants, is the headquarters to a trillion dollar financial institution, and has office rents on par with Manhattan, then talk to the hand. Yawns.

Chicago and Boston might be 'cleaner', but classier? Nope.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Yeah, sort of makes this thread look rather silly then doesnt it? People who can live anywhere prefer the two cities most chastised for smelling like urine.

Like I said earlier:
Unless your Downtown has a Chanel boutique, street cars from Milan, Michelin star rated restaurants, is the headquarters to a trillion dollar financial institution, and has office rents on par with Manhattan, then talk to the hand. Yawns.

Let me quote the title of the poll.
"Who has the classiest, cleanest, most posh downtown as a WHOLE?"

The fact that people want to live there still does not mean SF is the classiest, cleanest, most posh downtown in the country.

You're right. Cleanliness is not a synonym for class or elegance. However, I am going exactly by what the OP stated. OP has included cleanliness with this poll. Therefore, I have taken into consideration, as should you. SF can be considered classy, elegant, and posh, but it will never be considered clean. Chicago and Boston are winning this poll because they strike a perfect balance of all of the categories on here. For example, if we had to give number rankings for each category, SF might beat Chicago and Boston in a category or two, but would lose so horrendously in cleanliness that it would have no chance of coming out on top.

Chicago has a Chanel boutique downtown. Who wants a street car from Milan? I'd rather have a subway system that actually gets me somewhere quickly. Chicago does have Michelin star rated restaurants. Chicago has 9 Fortune 500 companies and 22 Fortune 1000 companies. Meanwhile, SF has 5 Fortune 500 and 9 Fortune 1000 companies. I'm not sure how that, or office rents being on par with Manhattan equate to class, elegance, poshness, or cleanliness. It just means it's expensive. And every smart person knows that money=/=class.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:55 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,971,589 times
Chicago feels very clean and well kept year round. There's a strong sense of wealth and elegance too, ritzy hotels, flashy cars, fashionable people, etc.

Old 02-03-2016, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Chicago feels very clean and well kept year round. There's a strong sense of wealth and elegance too, ritzy hotels, flashy cars, fashionable people, etc.
No need more poop! Only SF can be classy because only SF has poop in front of Chanel and Tiffany's!

Old 02-03-2016, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Let me quote the title of the poll.
"Who has the classiest, cleanest, most posh downtown as a WHOLE?"

The fact that people want to live there still does not mean SF is the classiest, cleanest, most posh downtown in the country.

You're right. Cleanliness is not a synonym for class or elegance. However, I am going exactly by what the OP stated. OP has included cleanliness with this poll. Therefore, I have taken into consideration, as should you. SF can be considered classy, elegant, and posh, but it will never be considered clean. Chicago and Boston are winning this poll because they strike a perfect balance of all of the categories on here. For example, if we had to give number rankings for each category, SF might beat Chicago and Boston in a category or two, but would lose so horrendously in cleanliness that it would have no chance of coming out on top.

Chicago has a Chanel boutique downtown. Who wants a street car from Milan? I'd rather have a subway system that actually gets me somewhere quickly. Chicago does have Michelin star rated restaurants. Chicago has 9 Fortune 500 companies and 22 Fortune 1000 companies. Meanwhile, SF has 5 Fortune 500 and 9 Fortune 1000 companies. I'm not sure how that, or office rents being on par with Manhattan equate to class, elegance, poshness, or cleanliness. It just means it's expensive. And every smart person knows that money=/=class.
Haha my statement is not a challenge to Chicago in the least because Chicago is one of the few( like 1-2) cities that actually meets the requirements.

And dont talk to me about money=/= class because usually to attain lots of money, one has earned an education and is very successful, or inherited their wealth, and usually those kinds of people are cosmopolitan, traveled, appreciate the arts, are involved in charities etc.

I would characterize those people as sophisticated, elegant and classy and this group congregates more in SF than in any US city I know of except NYC.

So once again, what the hell do ninnies on C-D know?

Old 02-03-2016, 08:10 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,189,443 times
Quote:

Like I said earlier:

We're comparing downtown areas, right? I wouldn't declare that San Francisco has a more classy downtown than Chicago or Boston.

City as a whole I think San Francisco is more classy overall, but downtown areas, having been to all three cities dozens of times over the year, I actually think Chicago would be above San Fran in that aspect - and I'm not saying that as a knock on San Fran at all.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:19 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,045,903 times
Quote:
No need more poop! Only SF can be classy because only SF has poop in front of Chanel and Tiffany's!

presumably, the classy customers patronizing Tiffany's are leaving their classier poop out front.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City