Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Brighter future of the two?
Atlanta 94 47.47%
Seattle 104 52.53%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 12:01 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,926,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKirkland View Post
You can rent apodaments in the city for what he's saying - they're basically studios with shared kitchens in the building.

Ooh, ok. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 12:02 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
That doesn't seem right. Seeing how the average 1 br rent in Seattle is over twice the amount you paid-either you really lucked out or it was 1973.
An aPodment isn't a 1-bedroom or even a studio. It is a 200-square foot room that shares a kitchen with other units. It's basically a dorm room for adults. Or in other words, a boarding house. These units are basically targeting the young transplants who don't want to go through the hassle of finding roommates.

Old 01-29-2016, 12:15 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,926,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
An aPodment isn't a 1-bedroom or even a studio. It is a 200-square foot room that shares a kitchen with other units. It's basically a dorm room for adults. Or in other words, a boarding house. These units are basically targeting the young transplants who don't want to go through the hassle of finding roommates.
Yeah, makes sense.

Old 01-29-2016, 12:39 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,921,829 times
Housing prices are dictated by supply and demand. If there is a huge demand and or not enough supply the prices go up. Also you don't have to live downtown, you can live in the burbs or one of the other satilite cities. Though they will probably will be more expensive than most cities. Also Seattle has good paying jobs, a lot of people can afford it.

Old 01-30-2016, 06:12 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,644,714 times
Atlanta no doubt

Old 06-25-2016, 01:45 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,955,508 times
Default Increasing importance: Greater Atlanta or Greater Seattle

These are two of the fastest growing cities in the country and increasingly becoming more important by each passing year.

You can feel free to use MSA or CSA in this comparison. Whichever works for your argument really.

I personally go with CSA and by that metric the two cities are both booming to similar extents. The #1 similarity that I see is that both are around the same percentage wise in population growth. The Atlanta CSA is 7.70% while Seattle is literally just a hair behind at 7.67%. Both cities are seeing rapid employment and economic gains as well. Both have diversified economies, from my understanding. Both serve as logistical anchors to their entire regions (the Piedmont Atlantic/Southeast and Cascadia/Pacific Northwest). Both are Delta hubs.

Both cities are the unquestioned top dogs of their respective regions. Both are going through incredible boom cycles right now as well.

Some factors:

- Population growth
- GDP gains
- Income appreciation
- Corporate headquarter relocations
- Key industries
- Private Investment
- Colleges, universities, and research and development firms
- Medicine
- Growth in reputation and brand
- Law (legal field)
- Real-estate market
- Immigration gateway
- national security funding
- Presence of retail and hotel brands
- Presence of Class 4 or higher research laboratories
- Logistical purpose (airport, seaport, spaceport, rail ports, intermodal ports (inland port systems for delivery trucks))

I think both areas are trending up, without a doubt, and both are gunning to move up in the pecking order.

Old 06-25-2016, 11:31 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
We don't have current numbers for population. Even the latest Census estimates are 51 weeks in the past. So this should be past tense.

Atlanta is a bigger city and has typically grown much more quickly. It's one of the world's top crossroads. But Seattle has a much larger downtown and is a far bigger tech center. Seattle is more urban in every regard from transit usage to density.

The biggest similarity might be global health. Atlanta has the CDC and Seattle has Gates, and each has a constallation around those.

I'd put the HQs of Microsoft and Amazon ahead of most others...they probably total 80,000 HQ employees locally, and I doubt Coke and CNN have a significant fraction of that. But Altanta has a larger overall business presence.

Atlanta probably wins this one. But Seattle would win the "pound for pound" comparison as a city 2/3 the size.

Old 06-26-2016, 03:24 AM

1,462 posts, read 1,427,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
We don't have current numbers for population. Even the latest Census estimates are 51 weeks in the past. So this should be past tense.

Atlanta is a bigger city and has typically grown much more quickly. It's one of the world's top crossroads. But Seattle has a much larger downtown and is a far bigger tech center. Seattle is more urban in every regard from transit usage to density.

The biggest similarity might be global health. Atlanta has the CDC and Seattle has Gates, and each has a constallation around those.

I'd put the HQs of Microsoft and Amazon ahead of most others...they probably total 80,000 HQ employees locally, and I doubt Coke and CNN have a significant fraction of that. But Altanta has a larger overall business presence.

Atlanta probably wins this one. But Seattle would win the "pound for pound" comparison as a city 2/3 the size.
Coke I dont think has the most employess.That would be UPS,Delta,or Home Depot.

How does Seattle have a more transit usage when according to the numbers I see,MARTA has more ridership.In fact,its listed as ranked 8th on the US and 13th in North America.Seattle is nowhere in that list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_by_ridership

Old 06-26-2016, 09:44 AM

1,462 posts, read 1,427,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
These are two of the fastest growing cities in the country and increasingly becoming more important by each passing year.

You can feel free to use MSA or CSA in this comparison. Whichever works for your argument really.

I personally go with CSA and by that metric the two cities are both booming to similar extents. The #1 similarity that I see is that both are around the same percentage wise in population growth. The Atlanta CSA is 7.70% while Seattle is literally just a hair behind at 7.67%. Both cities are seeing rapid employment and economic gains as well. Both have diversified economies, from my understanding. Both serve as logistical anchors to their entire regions (the Piedmont Atlantic/Southeast and Cascadia/Pacific Northwest). Both are Delta hubs.

Both cities are the unquestioned top dogs of their respective regions. Both are going through incredible boom cycles right now as well.

Some factors:

- Population growth
- GDP gains
- Income appreciation
- Corporate headquarter relocations
- Key industries
- Private Investment
- Colleges, universities, and research and development firms
- Medicine
- Growth in reputation and brand
- Law (legal field)
- Real-estate market
- Immigration gateway
- national security funding
- Presence of retail and hotel brands
- Presence of Class 4 or higher research laboratories
- Logistical purpose (airport, seaport, spaceport, rail ports, intermodal ports (inland port systems for delivery trucks))

I think both areas are trending up, without a doubt, and both are gunning to move up in the pecking order.
- Population growth-Atlanta
- GDP gains-Atlanta by a hair but its close depending on which measure you use.Atlanta has the larger GDP overall
- Income appreciation-Seattle
- Corporate headquarter relocations-Atlanta
- Key industries-Atlanta
- Private Investment-Atlanta but not 100 percent sure.
- Colleges, universities, and research and development firms-Atlanta
- Medicine-Tie
- Growth in reputation and brand-Atlanta by far
- Law (legal field)-Atlanta
- Real-estate market -Atlanta
- Immigration gateway-Seattle
- national security funding-Tie
- Presence of retail and hotel brands-Atlanta has some of the biggest boutique and larger hotel brands anywhere.Its quite impressive as many of them are ranked quite high.
Intercontinental Hotel chain is one that is headquartered theire
- Presence of Class 4 or higher research laboratories-I think Atlanta.It is ranked 5th in the Bio-science industry
Atlanta

Old 06-26-2016, 09:51 AM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
I mean commute mode share by the Census. In the 2014 ACS, Seattle was 19.6% and Atlanta was 11.0%. CSA was 7.1% to 3.0%.

Your numbers are (a) reflective of Atlanta's much larger size and (b) for single agencies. Seattle has several transit agencies including two big ones.

Regarding companies, I doubt Home Depot, Delta, or UPS have really large headquarters. Thousands yes, but not tens of thousands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City