Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you consider to be the BETTER deal?
Chicago's COL 56 43.75%
LA's Weather 72 56.25%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 05:06 PM

5,355 posts, read 5,132,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Depends, a lot of those services are needed due to climate. Roads need to be repaired more often, streets salted/plowed, grass mowed more frequently and more intensive landscaping. You also have to hire more cops for higher crime rate. But then you do get things like the EL, a squeaky clean downtown and such. Schools are not so hot in Chicago.

Based oN the schools and crime in Chicago, I am not sure the higher taxes are yielding a noticeable amount of higher quality services. In the Chicago suburbs, I think Chicagoland shines better in this regard vs California.

California real estate is probably one of the most solid investments someone could make. And it is perfect hedge against inflation. Buying a house in LA is going to always be worth way more than a house in Chicago at the end of a traditional 30 year mortgage, even if purchased at the same price in both cities. It's been that way literally since the 1950's.

The greater point I am making is that Chicago is really not the bargain it's boosters claim it is. The property taxes in Chicago alone really take much of the steam out of the "housing is cheaper" claim Chicago people love to make. And average rents in LA and Chicago are closer to each other than either one is to say, NYC or SF.
True, there are more maintenance issues. I don't know why the whole great lakes region seems to have problems with schools.

I wouldn't call a house in Cali a solid investment. It's sitting on a fault, there's water issues, rising interest rates are really going to hurt if you have to stack 6% interest on a home mortgage instead of 3.5%, and houses usually don't just glide down to reflect changing values, they stumble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 06:41 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,010,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
True, there are more maintenance issues. I don't know why the whole great lakes region seems to have problems with schools.

I wouldn't call a house in Cali a solid investment. It's sitting on a fault, there's water issues, rising interest rates are really going to hurt if you have to stack 6% interest on a home mortgage instead of 3.5%, and houses usually don't just glide down to reflect changing values, they stumble.

I would not say the whole great lakes region has issues with schools. Most K-12 schools there are good. Just not the ones in the cities, which tend to have massive underclasses.

LoL not every house in California sits on a faultline. And really natural disasters is kind of strawman. Chicago could flood, have another great fire, a tornado, or go bankrupt.

If rising interest rates hurt California real estate, it's going to hurt Chicago too.

Like I said, you can look at real estate values for both Chicago and LA. Pretty much since WW2 LA real estate has been a better investment than Chicago. The return on investment is simply much larger in LA, when comparing homes sold at the same price point. Though Chicago does certainly have a much better "bang for your buck".

I mean I hear what you are getting at, I am just pointing out Chicago is nowhere near the bargain it's boosters claim it to be.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:54 PM

45 posts, read 53,566 times
The way you set up this question already prompted many people to choose LA. For ego reasons, some people won't want to sound or feel "cheap" by choosing COL. Actually, LA has better weather than SF but still cheaper than SF. So COL in LA is not that bad. The most complaints about LA are bad traffic, long commute, pretentious people, no tree and no water. COL in Chicago is lower than LA but not by a whole lot. Chicago's COL is only considered "very low" when compared with SF and NYC because it offers similar urban lifestyle.

Last edited by tina21; 01-26-2016 at 07:03 PM..

Old 01-27-2016, 02:30 PM

89 posts, read 179,376 times
Don't forget California's state income tax is considerably higher. I grew up and lived most of my life in LA & SF and liked both cities, but definitely don't like them enough to justify a 13.3% state income tax personally.

Old 01-27-2016, 05:03 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,761,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlcc View Post
Don't forget California's state income tax is considerably higher. I grew up and lived most of my life in LA & SF and liked both cities, but definitely don't like them enough to justify a 13.3% state income tax personally.
That's assuming you would be making over $1 million a year.

The median personal income of LA is around $28,000, while the median household income is about $56,000. With CA income tax brackets, someone like this would be taxed 4% and 9.3% respectively.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:39 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,010,597 times
And Illinois has a flat tax rate which is very conservative republican and regressive.

A dishwasher has to pay the same percent of their paycheck to taxes as a CEO.

That is part of the reason Illinois is in a much publicized budget crisis. It is so bad, that they were talking about today on NPR....The SAN FRANCISCO NPR station.....

Old 01-27-2016, 07:03 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,361,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Depends, a lot of those services are needed due to climate. Roads need to be repaired more often, streets salted/plowed, grass mowed more frequently and more intensive landscaping. You also have to hire more cops for higher crime rate. But then you do get things like the EL, a squeaky clean downtown and such. Schools are not so hot in Chicago.

Based oN the schools and crime in Chicago, I am not sure the higher taxes are yielding a noticeable amount of higher quality services. In the Chicago suburbs, I think Chicagoland shines better in this regard vs California.

California real estate is probably one of the most solid investments someone could make. And it is perfect hedge against inflation. Buying a house in LA is going to always be worth way more than a house in Chicago at the end of a traditional 30 year mortgage, even if purchased at the same price in both cities. It's been that way literally since the 1950's.

The greater point I am making is that Chicago is really not the bargain it's boosters claim it is. The property taxes in Chicago alone really take much of the steam out of the "housing is cheaper" claim Chicago people love to make. And average rents in LA and Chicago are closer to each other than either one is to say, NYC or SF.
Not true on the real estate assessment of Chicago v LA as far as real estate return. Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Logan Square, the south Loop and Wicker Park amongst ohers, if bought in the 90"s, would have netted you far more than many LA neighborhoods. Even in the west suburbs, a teardown on a decent lot valued at $200,000 in the early to mid ninties could go for $1M in towns like Western Springs and Hinsdale, just for the lot alone. I agree that towns like San Marino in the San Gabriel Valley are outrageously expensive, but where is return of investment on large swaths of LA such as in Bell Gardens, Garden Grove, Norwalk etc.? It is bad to generalize; but your point is well taken, Chicago is not cheap.

This is an apples to oranges comparison. Either you like warm weather and need it, or you like aspects of a big city that you just cannot get in LA. Since I moved from LA to Chicago, you can probably guess which one I prefer, but don't blame those who need the heat.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:18 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,794,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
Not true on the real estate assessment of Chicago v LA as far as real estate return. Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Logan Square, the south Loop and Wicker Park amongst ohers, if bought in the 90"s, would have netted you far more than many LA neighborhoods. Even in the west suburbs, a teardown on a decent lot valued at $200,000 in the early to mid ninties could go for $1M in towns like Western Springs and Hinsdale, just for the lot alone. I agree that towns like San Marino in the San Gabriel Valley are outrageously expensive, but where is return of investment on large swaths of LA such as in Bell Gardens, Garden Grove, Norwalk etc.? It is bad to generalize; but your point is well taken, Chicago is not cheap.

This is an apples to oranges comparison. Either you like warm weather and need it, or you like aspects of a big city that you just cannot get in LA. Since I moved from LA to Chicago, you can probably guess which one I prefer, but don't blame those who need the heat.
Care to explain what these aspects are? Los Angeles is more than just great weather.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:54 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,761,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post

Speaking of Norwalk, my aunt bought her home there in 1999 for $185,000. Zillow estimates its value now at $450k, and about $590k before the recession. Most areas in LA/OC have bounced back to or exceeded pre-recession levels, but Norwalk and probably surrounding areas like Cerritos, Lakewood, Cypress, much of inland south LA, not as much.

Old 01-28-2016, 02:46 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,406,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
Care to explain what these aspects are? Los Angeles is more than just great weather.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
Speaking of Norwalk, my aunt bought her home there in 1999 for $185,000. Zillow estimates its value now at $450k, and about $590k before the recession. Most areas in LA/OC have bounced back to or exceeded pre-recession levels, but Norwalk and probably surrounding areas like Cerritos, Lakewood, Cypress, much of inland south LA, not as much.

Considering he was 18 years old, from Orange county (Fullerton), and left SoCal in the 1980's, I would take his view of Los Angeles City with a grain of salt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City