Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you consider to be the BETTER deal?
Chicago's COL 56 43.75%
LA's Weather 72 56.25%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 07:02 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,008,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
You do realize that Buena Park is walking distance from Wrigleyville, Boystown, and Lakeview in general, right? It's sitting immediately north of Lakeview's border on Irving Park, and its one L stop further north than Wrigley Field. That's why Buena Park is attractive for a lot of people, in addition to beach access, which Lakeview lacks, and the Target off Wilson.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9540752,-87.6508781,15z

Not saying it isn't slightly cheaper than what you find in Lakeview, but Buena Park has essentially become Lakeview's spillover at this point. Uptown is also changing in general. Still not on Lakeview's level by though.
Apparently you missed the part where I said Buena Park is "nice for sure". But Uptown on a whole is pretty scuzzy. I went to the skatepark on Wilson with a family member several months ago. Needless to say going to the 'L' train station at night, it was sketch as all hell over there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 07:36 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,303,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Not sunny enough.
Well, 284 sunny days per year is quite a bit more than 218 (the average number of sunny days for New Orleans).

Old 01-29-2016, 07:40 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,991,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Well, 284 sunny days per year is quite a bit more than 218 (the average number of sunny days for New Orleans).
365 days never ever cold. I wish.

Old 01-30-2016, 07:31 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,720,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityguy7 View Post
Areas that will truly have that year-round warm/cool weather are places like Santa Monica or Huntington Beach, aka that area's version of a coastal San Diego. But common sense would tell you that they would also be a hell of a lot more expensive.
Lawndale, Inglewood, Hawthorne, Gardena, Carson and even Culver City aren't that expensive, and the weather in those communities isn't appreciably different to what you'd find along the immediate coastline in Santa Monica, Marina del Rey, Redondo Beach, etc.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:07 PM

317 posts, read 378,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Lawndale, Inglewood, Hawthorne, Gardena, Carson and even Culver City aren't that expensive, and the weather in those communities isn't appreciably different to what you'd find along the immediate coastline in Santa Monica, Marina del Rey, Redondo Beach, etc.
Would be somewhat interesting to see the COL of the places you listed in comparison to Chicago, but too lazy to look it up myself.

Old 01-30-2016, 11:22 PM

62 posts, read 69,086 times
I really don't like cold but I also don't know much about what Chicago has to offer.

The only time I've ever been to Chicago was when I was a teenager with my family during my dad's conference. The only places I actually got to go were at a Cubs' game and Lake Michigan. So yeah. My heart wants to pick LA, but my brain is not letting me be so bias.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:25 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,189,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Apparently you missed the part where I said Buena Park is "nice for sure". But Uptown on a whole is pretty scuzzy. I went to the skatepark on Wilson with a family member several months ago. Needless to say going to the 'L' train station at night, it was sketch as all hell over there.
Well not many in Buena Park would use the Wilson stop, most people in Buena Park don't go up near Wilson for anything. They mostly use the lakeshore express buses or the Sheridan station that borders the neighorhood (Wilson is up north of the neighborhood). Most of the ammenities people use are just to the south in Lakeview/Boystown/Wrigleyville as opposed to walking the same distance to the north were it's crappier and less options.

I lived right in the center of Buena Park and could walk to Boystown or Wrigley in around 10-12 minutes.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:32 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,189,443 times
Quote:
LoL no one is accusing you of hiding anything. You just seem to want to tip toe around reality.
Los Angeles property taxes are not going to cost more, assuming all things equal. Ie: If you buy a dwelling at 500k in LA vs 500k in Chicago, your tax burden is going much less in LA. There is really no other reality but this.
I'm just putting numbers up that are reported by the agencies. The LA Times reports all median property taxes in the county and for Los Angeles it's 1.22%. Chicago was reported as 1.86% overall (although I've never paid more than 1.4% on my three properties).

Median housing value housing in Chicago is $199,500 at a 1.86% rate is $3,710
Median housing value in Los Angeles is $562,800 at a 1.22% rate is $6,866

I'm not tip toping around, just as an accountant/finance guy in the real estate industry I'm stating the simple numbers.

Comparable housing in Chicago is going to be hundreds more a month if renting and hundreds more on a mortgage plus higher property taxes - for similar housing - you're going to need a greater average salary to pay this, and wages in Chicago are somewhat higher in Los Angeles, but you need a much larger salary in Los Angeles to buy a home.

It just is what it is....

Old 02-01-2016, 03:52 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,188,224 times
Quote:
Uptown as a whole is not "pretty scuzzy." The majority of Uptown is actually fine, and the neighborhood is continuing to change. Wilson is a problem area, but it's not in Buena Park, nor is it the L stop that's the closest to the majority of Buena Park's residents.

The Sheridan L stop, which straddles the border of Lakeview and Buena Park/Uptown, is the closer L stop for the majority of Buena Park residents, and, as Chicago60614 pointed out, the express buses are popular with many residents as well due to their proximity.

Old 02-01-2016, 03:56 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,958,025 times
Bargain or not, I would choose Chicago, and I hate the cold. I'm an easterner to the core, and don't really care for the LA culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City