Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer
Toronto 50 50.00%
Montreal 50 50.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 03:34 PM

345 posts, read 809,789 times

Advertisements

which do you think is more desirable between the two? are they about the same class? based on things to do, quality of life, scenery, culture, food, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 05:08 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,954,514 times
I became a fan of Toronto in 1999. Here I am voting for it in 2016. I last saw Toronto in 2014 and from 1999, it was a makeover.

I love both cities though, each are on my global shortlist.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:32 PM

832 posts, read 1,254,069 times
Most people who voted Montreal are Americans who believe that false myth that Montreal is like Paris... There is a reason why every year, the Toronto region receive more than 100 000 new inhabitants and that after 10 years, most French immigrant (who most settle in Montreal) leave (like only 20% stays, the rest moves out of Quebec, some go back to Europe, the rest to Ontario and Alberta (when that province had oil money)

Last edited by jayo2k; 01-26-2016 at 06:44 PM..

Old 01-26-2016, 06:42 PM

650 posts, read 867,111 times
Toronto. Montreal is ok but I love Toronto.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:28 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,224,536 times
I love both cities, but I would choose Toronto!

Old 01-27-2016, 07:16 AM

26,874 posts, read 38,004,819 times
For the average city-data person, Montreal is probably a more interesting city to visit, and Toronto is probably a more appealing city to live in.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:21 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
Most people who voted Montreal are Americans who believe that false myth that Montreal is like Paris... There is a reason why every year, the Toronto region receive more than 100 000 new inhabitants and that after 10 years, most French immigrant (who most settle in Montreal) leave (like only 20% stays, the rest moves out of Quebec, some go back to Europe, the rest to Ontario and Alberta (when that province had oil money)
I don't think anyone thinks that "Montreal is like Paris". That makes no sense. Is Dallas like London because they both speak English?

And the reason people move to Toronto is because it's English speaking, the biggest city in Canada, and has lots of jobs. Has almost nothing to do with relative appeal.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:54 AM

10,744 posts, read 23,801,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I don't think anyone thinks that "Montreal is like Paris". That makes no sense. Is Dallas like London because they both speak English?

And the reason people move to Toronto is because it's English speaking, the biggest city in Canada, and has lots of jobs. Has almost nothing to do with relative appeal.
I never thought Montreal looked or felt like Paris either. When visiting I notice how much urban infrastructure from the 1960's and 70's there is along with having a fairly similar appearance to many eastern American cities. That said it does have a different vibe and ambiance from most American cities, and that's primarily the reason tourists would likely prefer it, as it delivers more of different feel from your everyday American city than Toronto would. That and Quebec's drinking age is only 18 so it lures the party crowd in from the Northeast US.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 01-27-2016 at 08:07 AM..

Old 01-27-2016, 08:06 AM

832 posts, read 1,254,069 times
Quote:

Did you ever live in Montreal...? I do
I remember a few years ago I have a long discussion on this forum with people thinking that Montreal was like Paris... Just because they saw a couple of picture of 5% of old Montreal and saw some pictures of Paris, they though they knew better than me who actually grew up in Paris and said that it is very easy to tell the difference even between the old Montreal and Paris...

Most people sees Montreal like the postcard, the 1% of the city they see... Montreal is way bigger than just the old port which has its charm but very few next to nobody lives there... Cote des neiges, St Michel, riviere des prairies, Anjou, NDG, Mercier Hochelaga... And so on... Unless you really know Montreal, you can only base your jugement on the very small tourist part of the City... It is like going to Time square and then bragging about knowing NYC while you know nothing about where people actually live...
And also the fact that Montreal first language is french (not for long believe me) people tend to see it as exotic...

ps : on the french language part ; Montreal downtown is becoming more and more english (well always was majority english) and french speaking are actually moving out of Montreal to the suburbs and those who stay move to the east island (Anjou, Mercier, Rosemont...)

Old 01-27-2016, 08:08 AM

26,874 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:

This is not to slag on Toronto, which is a great city in its own right, but it's a better ''practical fit'' for more people. Not just for (other) Canadians and Americans, but even for people from abroad. Who these days have a greater chance of having some knowledge of English (either deep or at least basic) as opposed to French.

It's not uncommon in Canada to hear people say they initially wanted to ''try Montreal'' (based on perceptions - accurate or not - of it being more exotic, interesting and fun) but ruling it out for practical linguistic or employment reasons.

Of course, some people also want nothing to do with Montreal because it's ''French".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City