Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
El Paso 17 94.44%
Laredo 1 5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 10:16 PM

200 posts, read 392,014 times

Advertisements

Many people hate El Paso. But what about Laredo? Is it any better or is it any worse? I think El Paso is far worse. Mainly because it is ranked as #1 for the city most ditched. It is ranked as #1 in America for rudest people according to foresquare. It has a ranking in everything. But let's compare El Paso vs Laredo. In my opinion, I think Laredo is far better in many ways. One, it is likely more Americanized and has less Mexican influence. Two, there is likely a lot more to do. Three, people are so friendly and chill in Laredo. Four, it is far safer. El Paso does not feel safe. Five, it is the most preferred city over El Paso.

What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 11:38 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,114,193 times
If you say so.

Old 01-27-2016, 01:36 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,165,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirportFan View Post
Many people hate El Paso. But what about Laredo? Is it any better or is it any worse? I think El Paso is far worse. Mainly because it is ranked as #1 for the city most ditched. It is ranked as #1 in America for rudest people according to foresquare. It has a ranking in everything. But let's compare El Paso vs Laredo. In my opinion, I think Laredo is far better in many ways. One, it is likely more Americanized and has less Mexican influence. Two, there is likely a lot more to do. Three, people are so friendly and chill in Laredo. Four, it is far safer. El Paso does not feel safe. Five, it is the most preferred city over El Paso.

What do you all think?
Have you been to both? I can't speak for Laredo since I never be there but I find El Paso very unique. People anywhere can be rude, El Paso is no exception, but I'm pretty sure there are tons of nice people that live there as well. Laredo from what I've heard is somewhat of a dangerous place to live, either your a cowboy or gang banger is what some people describe the place. Others say it's a nice place to live, so I guess it depends on your view of the place. Also another thing is ALOT of drugs traffic through there since it's right on the border and is somewhat referred to as a "gateway hub" since it transports drugs to other cities like San Antonio, Austin, Houston, ect.

Old 01-27-2016, 03:10 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,409,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirportFan View Post
But let's compare El Paso vs Laredo. In my opinion, I think Laredo is far better in many ways. One, it is likely more Americanized and has less Mexican influence... Five, it is the most preferred city over El Paso.

What do you all think?
Haha! That made me laugh. Laredo looks, feels and may as well be in Mexico. I had family there and would go weekly for work for about a year.

Laredo is a hideous, rundown town. Almost nobody speaks English there, it is isolated, and the traffic is terrible. It looks and feels like you are in Mexico. I am from Corpus Christi, and Laredo makes it feel like a modern, class A, American city.

The couple of times I have been to El Paso, I can tell it is very heavily influenced by Hispanic culture. However, it still looks American and people actually speak English there. Plus it has mountains. Yes, it is isolated, but it is leaps and bounds ahead of Laredo.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:06 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,470,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
Haha! That made me laugh. Laredo looks, feels and may as well be in Mexico. I had family there and would go weekly for work for about a year.

Laredo is a hideous, rundown town. Almost nobody speaks English there, it is isolated, and the traffic is terrible. It looks and feels like you are in Mexico. I am from Corpus Christi, and Laredo makes it feel like a modern, class A, American city.

The couple of times I have been to El Paso, I can tell it is very heavily influenced by Hispanic culture. However, it still looks American and people actually speak English there. Plus it has mountains. Yes, it is isolated, but it is leaps and bounds ahead of Laredo.
...and you're saying El Paso doesn't?

Old 01-27-2016, 02:13 PM

El Paso by far has worse traffic than Houston or Dallas. I've been to both, and the reason I say this is because Houston and Dallas have huge highways systems that cover the entire Metro areas. In Dallas and Houston, traffic is better because you go from one highway to another. In El Paso, there is only one Highway which is I-10. I spend about 20 minutes a day commuting. Also, traffic jams are so common in El Paso. By far in the state of Texas, El Paso has worst traffic jams. I can't really speak for San Antonio or Austin, but I assume both have better traffic situations.

Old 01-27-2016, 03:50 PM

1,122 posts, read 923,638 times
You're about 2 hours from very respectable skiing (Ruidoso, NM) in El Paso.

There's nightlife and women in El Paso. El Paso actually has an insane stereo store.

Neither city has so much as a single thing to do.... which is why the women are all preggo.

You can get killed in either town +/- just over the border with ease.

Old 01-27-2016, 04:05 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,373,235 times
I'd choose El Paso over Laredo six days a week and twice on Sundays.

At least El Paso has the ability to bring in an abundance of new residents with the large military base and university.

Old 01-27-2016, 04:56 PM

Yea, I think more people would choose El Paso because it's a bigger city. It's also a major Texas city too. Laredo probably is just a small town. Though it has a mall, it does not look big.

Old 01-27-2016, 05:10 PM

17,777 posts, read 13,670,239 times
El Paso is on a different level than Laredo as far as it's size and amenities so El Paso has a lot more going on. Laredo feels much smaller and has been stated feels like Mexico in it's core around downtown and the border crossing. all in all Laredo wasn't as bad as I was expecting it to be ---------------------------------------------------
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City