Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most balanced state?
Tennessee 4 8.51%
North Carolina 12 25.53%
Ohio 31 65.96%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 06:38 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,960,126 times

Advertisements

These three are all pretty balanced states in terms of having their population spread out among multiple population centers, although that isn't unique by any means necessary as CA, TX, FL, NY and others have the same thing, BUT in the case of these three, the many population centers are within the same range or close to the same range as one another (often separated by just a bit over a million at most between the largest to smallest). Making them on par with one another whereas in CA, TX, FL, NY and others there is often a really big city (or two really big ones in some cases) and then the next set there is a massive drop off from the size of the large ones to other notable areas over 1 million people.

In Tennessee for example, there are 4 places that standout as "large" in the state and by places I mean their respective metropolitan areas/PCSAs. Nashville, Memphis, Knoxville, and Chattanooga in that same order in terms of size.

In North Carolina there are 3 places that are standouts in the state; Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, and Greensboro/Winston-Salem.

In Ohio there are also 3 places that are standouts in the state; Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Columbus (Ohio's 3 Cs).

These are each state's respective population centers. I'd like to encourage everyone to view Chattanooga as a place with 1 million people, even though it technically isn't, its growing and is close enough to that benchmark that we can give it the extra push early on.

Use this as a reference:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

Tennessee, 2014
1. Nashville-Davidson–Murfreesboro, TN Combined Statistical Area: 1,912,819
2. Memphis-Forrest City, TN-MS-AR Combined Statistical Area: 1,370,129
3. Knoxville-Morristown-Sevierville, TN Combined Statistical Area: 1,103,782
4. Chattanooga-Cleveland-Dalton, TN-GA-AL Combined Statistical Area: 945,148

North Carolina, 2014
1. Charlotte-Concord, NC-SC Combined Statistical Area: 2,537,990
2. Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, NC Combined Statistical Area: 2,075,126
3. Greensboro–Winston-Salem–High Point, NC Combined Statistical Area: 1,630,368

Ohio, 2014
1. Cleveland-Akron-Canton, OH Combined Statistical Area: 3,497,851
2. Columbus-Marion-Zanesville, OH Combined Statistical Area: 2,398,297
3. Cincinnati-Wilmington-Maysville, OH-KY-IN Combined Statistical Area: 2,208,450

Make your case here on which state you think is most balanced and which one offers a social environment where each of the state's large cities have parity with the other large cities in the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 06:44 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,226,267 times
I'm going with Ohio, it's second tier cities really help to balance out the population after the big three.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:51 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,174,514 times
Awesome thread idea, Red John. You're on a roll lately

As far as population parity, I believe Tennessee technically has the least amount of difference between its most and least populous metros. That said, I think Ohio has more parity in terms of social and economic power between its three C's. Cleveland has 3 pro sports teams, Cincy has 2, and Columbus has 1 (and an NCAA team that is pretty much semi-pro), and each metro anchors its own region of the state. All three are nationally on the map. TN seems to be more split between Nashville and Memphis in that respect, with the other two metros not really a factor nationally. And NC really seems to be the Charlotte show, with the Triangle and Greensboro coming in distant second and third, respectively (Carolinians, correct me if I'm wrong, but outside of college basketball, education, and *maybe* hockey, what do the other metros bring to the table that Charlotte doesn't?).

Edit: NC actually has the least difference between first and last, but TN is close behind, and has a close cluster between metros 2-4. The fact that TN has 4 metros as opposed to NC and OH really helps that case, as far as pure population balance. It's the other factors, though, that tilt towards Ohio (imo).

Old 01-28-2016, 07:21 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,235,306 times
I have to go with Ohio here - the three major cities/metros are all quite comparable in size and stature. Although Cleveland's CSA is significantly larger than Cincinnati's or Columbus', the MSAs are very close.

In North Carolina and Tennessee (in particular) there is a bit of a drop off in the significance of the population centers after the top 2.

Btw, it amazes me that the CSAs of Knoxville and Chattanooga are in the 1 million range. They certainly don't feel nearly as large as the secondary cities in my home state of New York -- Buffalo (1,214,960), Rochester (1,177,439), Albany (1,173,518), or even Syracuse (740,301). These cities just have bigger bones due to the time period in which they grew... but aside from maybe Rochester, they're all experiencing meager if any population growth at this time and will probably be surpassed in CSA population soon by Knoxville and maybe even Chattanooga.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:52 AM

93,246 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillinthesouth View Post
I have to go with Ohio here - the three major cities/metros are all quite comparable in size and stature. Although Cleveland's CSA is significantly larger than Cincinnati's or Columbus', the MSAs are very close.

In North Carolina and Tennessee (in particular) there is a bit of a drop off in the significance of the population centers after the top 2.

Btw, it amazes me that the CSAs of Knoxville and Chattanooga are in the 1 million range. They certainly don't feel nearly as large as the secondary cities in my home state of New York -- Buffalo (1,214,960), Rochester (1,177,439), Albany (1,173,518), or even Syracuse (740,301). These cities just have bigger bones due to the time period in which they grew... but aside from maybe Rochester, they're all experiencing meager if any population growth at this time and will probably be surpassed in CSA population soon by Knoxville and maybe even Chattanooga.
Albany is also growing a steady clip and Syracuse has the Utica-Rome and Ithaca metros within the same region...

As for the topic I'll also say Ohio not only due to the cities/areas mentioned there, but you also have areas like Toledo, Dayton and even Youngstown-Warren that also have quite a few people. I think that is what North 42 was referring to. With the other states, they are pretty much tapped out in terms of sizable areas.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:26 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,226,267 times
^^
That is what I was referring to, it's impressive to have 3 big metros in one state as well as 3 second tier metros that are all pretty urban.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:14 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,132,310 times
Off-topic: New York doesn't really seem spread out to be honest. I mean, it's really NYC, then Buffalo.

Anyways, I think it's Ohio, NC, then Tennessee.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:17 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,070,030 times
Ohio After the large three. You have Youngstown, Canton, Akron, Toledo and Dayton. Which covers all parts of the state except SE in decent population. Tennessee is good as it has metros on 4 corners of the state but after that suffers with 2 or three really small metros such as Bristol-Johnson City-Kingsport, Clarksville and Jackson. While North Carolina fairs a little better with Fayetteville, Wilmington, Asheville and a few small metros scattered around. I especially love how close the two Triangular metros are. If they were for example Houston and Dalla ssized they would have grown into each other quite easily then we would have our own Bonn-Koln-Dortmund region in the U.S.

Old 01-29-2016, 02:52 AM

93,246 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Off-topic: New York doesn't really seem spread out to be honest. I mean, it's really NYC, then Buffalo.

Anyways, I think it's Ohio, NC, then Tennessee.
Rochester and Albany-Schenectady-Troy both have a similar CSA population as Buffalo. Syracuse has a smaller CSA(about 740,000), but shares the Central (Upstate)NY region with the Utica-Rome MSA(about 300,000) and the Ithaca CSA(about 150,000), as they all are continuous. Poughkeepsie-Newburgh-Middletown is a former MSA(670,000) within the NYC MSA/CSA as of 2013. So, I guess it is better to say NY State north of NYC is more spread out.

CT and SC could also be viewed as states with a more balanced population.

Old 01-29-2016, 03:26 AM

1,731 posts, read 1,891,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Awesome thread idea, Red John. You're on a roll lately

As far as population parity, I believe Tennessee technically has the least amount of difference between its most and least populous metros. That said, I think Ohio has more parity in terms of social and economic power between its three C's. Cleveland has 3 pro sports teams, Cincy has 2, and Columbus has 1 (and an NCAA team that is pretty much semi-pro), and each metro anchors its own region of the state. All three are nationally on the map. TN seems to be more split between Nashville and Memphis in that respect, with the other two metros not really a factor nationally. And NC really seems to be the Charlotte show, with the Triangle and Greensboro coming in distant second and third, respectively (Carolinians, correct me if I'm wrong, but outside of college basketball, education, and *maybe* hockey, what do the other metros bring to the table that Charlotte doesn't?).

Edit: NC actually has the least difference between first and last, but TN is close behind, and has a close cluster between metros 2-4. The fact that TN has 4 metros as opposed to NC and OH really helps that case, as far as pure population balance. It's the other factors, though, that tilt towards Ohio (imo).
Lol, The Charlotte Show
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City