Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer
Houston 56 60.87%
San Jose 36 39.13%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 01:40 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,041,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wipe0ut View Post
There is great diversity in the landscaping of Houston gardens, just that it is easy to get distracted by the magnificent green canopy of many neighborhoods. Too the untrained eye, yes, it can all look like "the same green all around," but in actuality, the green is coming from multiple types of trees. And if you look at the biodiversity maps I posted earlier in this thread, you will find that Houston naturally has more diversity in trees than the Bay Area.

I've already explained how draconian HOAs are in many areas of Houston, such that they always enforce the same landscaping theme, and will ticket anyone who gardens in such a way even slightly deviant from the norm. It could be that 18Montclair wound up in some of those neighborhood types, if he/she even went to Houston at all.

And no, not everything will thrive in the Bay Area climate.

Houston does have trees, its semi tropical, humid and gets tons of rain. I dont see more diversity though. The bay area will be able to grow virtually anything except some less tolerant tropicals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 01:50 AM

172 posts, read 206,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Houston does have trees, its semi tropical, humid and gets tons of rain. I dont see more diversity though. The bay area will be able to grow virtually anything except some less tolerant tropicals.
In terms of natural landscape, the Houston area has greater tree/plant diversity than the Bay Area. In the cultivated landscape, the diversity is indeed present, however, you just have to learn not to be distracted by the thick canopy in certain neighborhoods; furthermore, you have to learn to distinguish between the different trees of the canopy. Without such skill, everything ends up "looking the same," sort of like saying "all Asians look alike."

Once again, I've already explained the existence of HOAs in certain areas of Houston, and how they contribute to the lack of variety in plant life in those areas.

The Bay Area climate cannot grow plants that need heat, humidity, wet climates to survive.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:57 AM

23,771 posts, read 28,844,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
You can't grow (edible) avocados in the Bay Area. And Houston has more to offer than San Jose...16 years in the Bay and I never found a reason to visit SJ more than once. Other than a Sharks game or a concert at HP Pavilion, I can't imagine why someone from SF or Oakland would visit SJ unless they had friends/family there.
coming from further on up the coast, isn't it necessary to drive thru San Jose to get to the nicer places to the south? What route would you take if you wanted to bypass San Jose completely?

Old 02-05-2016, 10:26 AM

172 posts, read 206,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I simply made an observation that I continue to stand by and WipeOut is feverishly trying in vain to counter what I stated, but he's failing miserably.
I'm just trying to have a reasonable, intelligent discussion with you, so I can try to understand what you are meaning in your assertion. But, the problem is, you've established no basis for your observation; as in, you never said what areas of Houston you went to (if you even went there at all), nor are you showing me examples of the great variety of flowers a neighborhood in the Bay Area has. Instead, you just make a vague assertion of certain areas of Houston "having nothing but crabgrass," that is as valid as me saying that "areas of San Francisco don't even have a garden to begin with."

Old 02-05-2016, 10:46 AM

9,699 posts, read 6,335,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Given the state of that team recently, is that really a huge point over Houston? It's a win, but if anything, Houston just has mediocre sports franchises in general.
Mediocre franchises? Just because Golden State has a great season right now doesn't mean anything. The Rockets have more far more legends, back to back champs, etc. The Rockets also have the best history of big men in the league. Before you say mediocre franchises

Old 02-05-2016, 10:51 AM

9,699 posts, read 6,335,889 times
Quote:
Houston DOES NOT have 'better' dining than San Jose. Where did you get that idea from?

The South Bay/ Peninsula has 7 Michelin star rated restaurants, including Manesa, which has 3 stars.

The foodie scene in the South Bay is vibrant and very diverse.
Houston's dining scene kills San Jose. And the dining foodie scene is definitely more diverse in Houston than in San Jose. San Francisco, that's an argument. San Jose. Never

Old 02-05-2016, 11:17 AM

36,623 posts, read 67,123,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Houston's dining scene kills San Jose. And the dining foodie scene is definitely more diverse in Houston than in San Jose. San Francisco, that's an argument. San Jose. Never
Sorry, but San Jose has restaurants that are in the same class as New York's finest restaurants according to the most selective and prestigious restaurant guide in the world, Michelin.

Houston's food scene isnt even strong enough to be included in the Michelin guides. Only 3 North American areas are, NY, the Bay Area and Chicago.

Also, San Jose's proximity to the freshest ingredients blows Houston out of the water.

So while I know Houston has good food, its not really on the Bay Area's level.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:57 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,733,547 times
Quote:
Sorry, but San Jose has restaurants that are in the same class as New York's finest restaurants according to the most selective and prestigious restaurant guide in the world, Michelin.

Houston's food scene isnt even strong enough to be included in the Michelin guides. Only 3 North American areas are, NY, the Bay Area and Chicago.

Also, San Jose's proximity to the freshest ingredients blows Houston out of the water.

So while I know Houston has good food, its not really on the Bay Area's level.
All that and I've never seen San Jose itself ranked above Houston on any food list.

There are only fourteen Michelin-starred restaurants in the entire nation, split between six metro areas, so the idea that a city somehow has an inferior food scene due to lacking one is illogical. You're essentially saying that even Las Vegas has better cuisine than Seattle, San Diego, Boston, Miami, DC, Philly, etc (or any other major city you'd be less willing to insist isn't "strong" enough to be compared to San Jose).

Did you ever specify what part of Houston your surgeon relative lived in?

Old 02-05-2016, 12:23 PM

36,623 posts, read 67,123,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
All that and I've never seen San Jose itself ranked above Houston on any food list.

There are only fourteen Michelin-starred restaurants in the entire nation, split between six metro areas, so the idea that a city somehow has an inferior food scene due to lacking one is illogical. You're essentially saying that even Las Vegas has better cuisine than Seattle, San Diego, Boston, Miami, DC, Philly, etc (or any other major city you'd be less willing to insist isn't "strong" enough to be compared to San Jose).

Did you ever specify what part of Houston your surgeon relative lived in?
No, there are well over 100 Michelin star-rated restaurants in the US and well over 200 more Michelin Bib Gourmand restaurants.

They are located in the only 3 US regions covered by Michelin: NY, the Bay Area and Chicago.

I really have no clue how anyone could say that Houston outright beats SJ as far as food. As if.

San Jose actually has excellent, world class cuisine.

Old 02-05-2016, 01:03 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,733,547 times
Quote:
No, there are well over 100 Michelin star-rated restaurants in the US and well over 200 more Michelin Bib Gourmand restaurants.

They are located in the only 3 US regions covered by Michelin: NY, the Bay Area and Chicago.
Corrected. I was only looking at 3-star establishments. Still, to be clear, you are suggesting that San Jose actually has a more impressive selection of restaurants than a host of cities that are commonly ranked above it.
Quote:
I really have no clue how anyone could say that Houston outright beats SJ as far as food. As if.

San Jose actually has excellent, world class cuisine.
I wouldn't expect you to have a clue, since I'm skeptical about you having even been to Houston in the first place. I've admittedly never been to San Jose and never claimed to be any sort of expert on it, but it is much smaller and arguably less diverse than Houston, so the the assertion that it would have less impressive cuisine isn't far reaching. Again, show me a list (other than your own personal one) where SJ ranks higher than Houston. Having a great food scene is far more than just a city's count of exclusive establishments that the average person probably cannot afford to eat at anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City