Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer
Houston 56 60.87%
San Jose 36 39.13%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 01:32 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,499,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wipe0ut View Post
All I'm just saying is that the Houston area is very bio-diverse in terms of general species richness; the species may not be confined specifically to the Houston area (although many are confined to the geographic region it sits in), but still, Houston, in general, just plain has loads and loads of biodiversity regardless (more consistently high compared to the SF Bay Area, if anything), and it dues have superlatives, particularly in bird and reptile biodiversity. The maps I put up don't even have all the types of organisms available, missing out on many types, including vascular plants (other than trees), invertebrates, etc.

The Bay Area is singled out because its biodiversity is unique and disappearing fast (since it covers small areas naturally), not necessarily because it has more species than other areas, or even because of simply having more unique species than other areas.

But, here is a cataloging of the biodiversity you see in the Houston area:
Houston Wilderness
Actually uniqueness in bioversity is exactly what that map details:

Quote:
The Florida Panhandle is one of the nation's six "biological hot spots," which means it has many rare species, and many of these rare species are found only in small areas. (The other five areas are Hawaii, the southern Appalachians, the San Francisco Bay area, the Death Valley region, and southern California.)
Im not saying that Houston is not biodiverse, but the Bay Area's mediterranean climate means that I can have have orange trees, lemon trees, palm trees, magnolias, redwood trees, a beautiful bouganvillea vine, a bird of paradise, roses, tulips, etc. all in one backyard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 01:36 PM

Now that I think about it, Houston( my brother is a surgeon there and I visit him about once of twice a year), the landscaping in Houston tends to be very bland compared to the Bay Area.

Old 02-02-2016, 02:19 PM

172 posts, read 208,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Actually uniqueness in bioversity is exactly what that map details:
The map details uniqueness in biodiversity combined with the level of disturbance the habitat as a whole has experienced. The southern US coastal plain is bio-diverse, but it covers a large geographic area, so even if an area of the region has been disturbed, larger portions of the environment would still be intact. On the other hand, the bio-diverse area in the SF Bay is smaller in area, so any habitat destruction there would be more threatening to the environment as a whole, and come closer to wiping it out. Furthermore, the larger size of the southern coastal plain means that organisms unique to that region would likely range throughout the entire large geographic span of the region (thus not unique to any one city), whereas organisms in the Bay Area would be more centered around the Bay Area. The two reasons mentioned (high number of unique species within the area, plus threat of destruction) are the only reasons why the Bay Area is a hotspot.

As I have shown on the maps I've posted, being a biodiversity hotspot doesn't necessarily mean that the area have more total species richness (in general) than an area that isn't. On those maps, Houston was shown to have more consistently high total biodiversity across various organism groups than the SF Bay area; Houston is more species rich than the Bay Area, its just that many of the species aren't confined to the Houston area (although quite a few actually are), instead ranging through the coastal plain of the Gulf Coast as well.

Quote:
Im not saying that Houston is not biodiverse, but the Bay Area's mediterranean climate means that I can have have orange trees, lemon trees, palm trees, magnolias, redwood trees, a beautiful bouganvillea vine, a bird of paradise, roses, tulips, etc. all in one backyard.
You can have all that in a Houston backyard as well.

Quote:
Now that I think about it, Houston( my brother is a surgeon there and I visit him about once of twice a year), the landscaping in Houston tends to be very bland compared to the Bay Area.
Where in Houston do you visit?

Old 02-02-2016, 03:08 PM

Quote:
The map details uniqueness in biodiversity combined with the level of disturbance the habitat as a whole has experienced. The southern US coastal plain is bio-diverse, but it covers a large geographic area, so even if an area of the region has been disturbed, larger portions of the environment would still be intact. On the other hand, the bio-diverse area in the SF Bay is smaller in area, so any habitat destruction there would be more threatening to the environment as a whole, and come closer to wiping it out. Furthermore, the larger size of the southern coastal plain means that organisms unique to that region would likely range throughout the entire large geographic span of the region (thus not unique to any one city), whereas organisms in the Bay Area would be more centered around the Bay Area. The two reasons mentioned (high number of unique species within the area, plus threat of destruction) are the only reasons why the Bay Area is a hotspot.

As I have shown on the maps I've posted, being a biodiversity hotspot doesn't necessarily mean that the area have more total species richness (in general) than an area that isn't. On those maps, Houston was shown to have more consistently high total biodiversity across various organism groups than the SF Bay area; Houston is more species rich than the Bay Area, its just that many of the species aren't confined to the Houston area (although quite a few actually are), instead ranging through the coastal plain of the Gulf Coast as well.

You can have all that in a Houston backyard as well.

Where in Houston do you visit?
No, I dont think so. Indeed the landscaping there is definitely a lot blander than San Jose-I rarely see an actual lawn but rather crabgrass. The trees and shrubs are all the same, you rarely see flowers, rarely see fruit trees, rarely see anywhere near the intensity in the above mentioned things as one finds in the Bay Area.

And we're in the midst of a drought, but we are spoiled with the most beautiful climate( San Jose is close to perfect) and that is condusive to people caring more about their homes.

Its really not the same at all.

Old 02-02-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
No, I dont think so. Indeed the landscaping there is definitely a lot blander than San Jose-I rarely see an actual lawn but rather crabgrass. The trees and shrubs are all the same, you rarely see flowers, rarely see fruit trees, rarely see anywhere near the intensity in the above mentioned things as one finds in the Bay Area.
Again, where do you go when you go to visit your brother in Houston? What areas of the city do you see? Because there are lots of flowers, fruit trees, and intensive vegetation throughout Houston. All of your mentioned plants can grow in Houston, some to greater form, than in the SF Bay Area.

Quote:
And we're in the midst of a drought, but we are spoiled with the most beautiful climate( San Jose is close to perfect) and that is condusive to people caring more about their homes.

Its really not the same at all.
This is why I am asking: where in Houston do you visit when you go to see your brother? Different areas of the city have different attitudes, regulations, etc, which can indeed extend to the landscaping seen in the city.

Old 02-02-2016, 03:32 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
You did read the part where I said the frontage roads were a factor in Houston's ugliness, so in a way, you're agreeing with me about the built environment that makes Houston as ugly as it is.

s.
Probably the most thing I dislike about Houston. Those feeders are the epitome of bad urban planning. It's an example of what not to do. I find far to many negatives about those frontage roads than positives.

Old 02-02-2016, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Again, where do you go when you go to visit your brother in Houston? What areas of the city do you see? Because there are lots of flowers, fruit trees, and intensive vegetation throughout Houston. All of your mentioned plants can grow in Houston, some to greater form, than in the SF Bay Area.
Okay, youve said this now more than once but thinking back over the years Ive visited, the more I stand by my position.

Lots of green I suppose, and canopy sure, but as far as flowers, fruit trees, etc--the Bay Area most definitely beats Houston. Gardening seems much more of a luxury there than here.

Quote:
This is why I am asking: where in Houston do you visit when you go to see your brother? Different areas of the city have different attitudes, regulations, etc, which can indeed extend to the landscaping seen in the city.
The fact that you wonder where I went and when I came really proves my point.

In the Bay Area, it's pretty much in every areaand at any time of the year.

It's just not the same.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Okay, youve said this now more than once but thinking back over the years Ive visited, the more I stand by my position.

Lots of green I suppose, and canopy sure, but as far as flowers, fruit trees, etc--the Bay Area most definitely beats Houston. Gardening seems much more of a luxury there than here.
You just aren't making sense. In the Houston area, you will see citrus of various kinds, tamarind trees, loquats, jujube trees, pomegranates, sugar cane, bananas, even mangoes, papayas all being planted and grown. Various types of flowers in Houston too, whether from azaleas, bougainvillea, and camellias, or from crape myrtles, jasmine, or plumbago.

Maybe people in the Bay Area are more adventurous in gardening than those in Houston, but no, plant growth in Houston is far superior to that of San Francisco. Houston has a warm, wet, humid subtropical climate, typical of the US Southeast, with lots of precipitation year-round; as far as plants are concerned, that climate is heavenly; Med climates are mild in temperature, but too prone to severe drought and dry periods during summer, which is very detrimental to plants. Go look at the old gardens and boulevards at Savannah or Charleston for example of what can be done in a humid subtropical climate in regards to gardening.

Quote:
The fact that you wonder where I went and when I came really proves my point.

In the Bay Area, it's pretty much in every areaand at any time of the year.

It's just not the same.
No it doesn't; different areas of Houston have different demographics, leading to different attitudes in regards to gardening. Some areas in the city have draconian HOAs that restrict how gardening is done in the city, ending up so that plantings across many houses look the same up front.

So again, I ask: What part of Houston do you go to when you go to visit your brother? Where you even within city limits? Because for all I know, you could just be making this whole thing up, and really never have stepped foot in Houston.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:25 PM

Quote:
You just aren't making sense. In the Houston area, you will see citrus of various kinds, tamarind trees, loquats, jujube trees, pomegranates, sugar cane, bananas, even mangoes, papayas all being planted and grown. Various types of flowers in Houston too, whether from azaleas, bougainvillea, and camellias, or from crape myrtles, jasmine, or plumbago.
I feel like we're now delving into fantasy. Apparently you think Houston is Hawaii.

Azaleas, camellias and bouganvillea would be special in Houston but actually normal over here.

Furthermore, California grows half the nation's produce so...

Figs 99% of US Total
Walnuts 99% of US Total
Kiwi 97% of US Total
Celery 95% of US Total
Tomatoes(Processing) 95% of US Total
Nectarines 95% of US Total
Plums 95% of US Total
Broccoli 93% of US Total
Strawberries(Processing) 93% of US Total
Apricots 92% of US Total
Avocados 90% of US Total
Leaf Lettuce 90% of US Total
Grapes 89% of US Total
Cauliflower 86% of US Total
Fresh Market Strawberries 86% of US Total
Garlic 86% of US Total
Lemons 86% of US Total
Peaches 86% of US Total
Fresh Market Spinach 83% of US Total
Romaine Lettuce 83% of US Total
Dates 82% of US Total
Head Lettuce 76% of US Total
Honeydew Melons 72% of US Total
Carrots 66% of US Total
Spinach(Processing) 63% of US Total
Raspberries 61% of US Total
Canteloupe 55% of US Total
Asparagus 52% of US Total
Bell Peppers 48% of US Total
Chili Peppers 43% of US Total
Onions 38% of US Total
Tangerines 37% of US Total
Navel Oranges 34% of US Total
Fresh Market Tomatos 33% of US Total
Pears 28% of US Total
Cherries 27% of US Total
All Oranges 26% of US Total
Cabbage 22% of US Total
Agaricus Mushrooms 20% of US Total
Squash 19% of US Total
Corn 16% of US Total
Watermelons 16% of US Total
Valencia Oranges 15% of US Total
Beans 11% of US Total
Pumpkins 11% of US Total
Cucumbers 10% of US Total
Grapefruits 10% of US Total
Apples 4% of US Total
Blueberries 6% of US Total
Boysenberries 3% of US Total
Pecans 1% of US Total

California and the Bay Area is a geography that far outproduces and outgrows Houston as far as fruits and vegetables-its not even a question.

So while you apparently think Houston is Hawaii(lol), that is clearly not the norm in person.

Quote:
Maybe people in the Bay Area are more adventurous in gardening than those in Houston, but no, plant growth in Houston is far superior to that of San Francisco. Houston has a warm, wet, humid subtropical climate, typical of the US Southeast, with lots of precipitation year-round; as far as plants are concerned, that climate is heavenly
Yes, youve said this now several times but in person the city is very green but not very colorful.

Quote:
Med climates are mild in temperature, but too prone to severe drought and dry periods during summer, which is very detrimental to plants.
Haha we have thing called irrigation.

Quote:
So again, I ask: What part of Houston do you go to when you go to visit your brother? Where you even within city limits? Because for all I know, you could just be making this whole thing up, and really never have stepped foot in Houston.
Likewise, you claim that Houston is a tropical cornicopia but that seems like an outright exaggeration to me. In person its flora and fauna is actually quite boring compared to here.

Old 02-02-2016, 05:05 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Does BART run a train system to San Jose? If not, I wouldn't be quick to give public transit to San Jose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City