Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities would you choose?
Philadelphia 78 43.33%
Baltimore 23 12.78%
Washington D.C. 79 43.89%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 12:01 PM

283 posts, read 463,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
Well yeah I realize that but if you look at the poll it's not like it's neck and neck, Philly is killing DC and I find that shocking. I wouldn't be surprised if they were tied or at least close.
Well considering this is a website full of urbanists, I'm not surprised at all. The core of Philly is much bigger and denser than DC's, which more history, (arguably) better design, and (arguably) a lot more character.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 12:21 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
There's nothing bad about DC. I just find Philly to be more urban and historic. And DC is known for being pretentious and uppity with all the suit n tie folks. Of course there are plenty of people who don't fall into that category, but Philly is more down to earth. Categories were things Metro, Education, Population, Economy, etc. The DC Metro is good, but so is SEPTA. Neither is NYC or Chicago though. Both have great universities. The people of Philly are more down to earth and COL is much lower. Philly has a lower unemployment rate. Philly has more local culture since DC is a city of transplants and is more transient.

DC is a great place too though. Great metro system. Beautiful neighborhoods. Lots of restaurants and nightlife. Walkable and urban. Plenty of culture and things to do. There are just obviously more people who prefer Philly for one reason or another.

Old 02-04-2016, 12:22 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Thanks - interesting report. I note this report defines each city's "downtown" as the area within a 1 mile radius of their city hall. This is, of course, an arbitrary and random standard. Nevertheless, my impression of the area of Baltimore within a mile of city hall are a collection of neighborhoods without a contiguous relationship. For example, I certainly don't imagine anyone in Fells Point feeling that are of the same urban fabric as Mount Vernon or Federal Hill. There is too much brownfield between them. Although the authors of this report feel otherwise, it doesn't comprise what I consider a "downtown" for Baltimore. Over time, however, if Baltimore continues to gentrify as it is currently doing, these neighborhoods may infill and create a more cohesive "downtown" for the city.

I understand others may have a different understanding of what comprises a "downtown," hence my question. I appreciate you taking the time to post this report (+1).
The neighborhoods that you mentioned are adjacent to the Baltimore's CBD, and almost completely build up. Federal Hill is just south, Mount Vernon meshes seamlessly to the north, and Fells Point to the east. There are no breaks in the urban fabric between any of these neighborhoods and downtown. However, Harbor Point is a new neighborhood, currently under construction, just south of Harbor East which also has more projects soon to start construction, which fills in the are between Fells Point and the CBD. So those adjacent areas are well connected to the CBD.

Old 02-04-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Well yeah I realize that but if you look at the poll it's not like it's neck and neck, Philly is killing DC and I find that shocking. I wouldn't be surprised if they were tied or at least close.
They're both beating Baltimore, and I for one won't rest on the fact that "Baltimore should be happy just to be invited," I certainly feel, after spending time in Philly and DC, that Baltimore, at least on some criteria at the city level, gives DC and Philly a run for their money. Baltimore is probably the most underrated city in the country.

Old 02-04-2016, 12:32 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
They're both beating Baltimore, and I for one won't rest on the fact that "Baltimore should be happy just to be invited," I certainly feel, after spending time in Philly and DC, that Baltimore, at least on some criteria at the city level, gives DC and Philly a run for their money. Baltimore is probably the most underrated city in the country.
It's definitely not a distant third in any category, I just think DC and Philly do most things slightly better than Baltimore. They all have plenty to offer and no city runs away with this comparison. Just in a poll, you only get one choice, and to most people, Philly eeks out a slight win.

Old 02-04-2016, 12:48 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
The neighborhoods that you mentioned are adjacent to the Baltimore's CBD, and almost completely build up. Federal Hill is just south, Mount Vernon meshes seamlessly to the north, and Fells Point to the east. There are no breaks in the urban fabric between any of these neighborhoods and downtown. However, Harbor Point is a new neighborhood, currently under construction, just south of Harbor East which also has more projects soon to start construction, which fills in the are between Fells Point and the CBD. So those adjacent areas are well connected to the CBD.
I am familiar with Baltimore. It is one of my favorite cities. Perhaps you and I interpret the definition of downtowns differently, as I stated in my post. I certainly don't consider using a 1 mile radius from city hall as an accurate way to designate and compare "downtowns." I now know, however, how you came up with the figure of 44K people a few pages back. That was the intent of my question.

Old 02-04-2016, 12:53 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I am familiar with Baltimore. It is one of my favorite cities. Perhaps you and I interpret the definition of downtowns differently, as I stated in my post. I certainly don't consider using a 1 mile radius from city hall as an accurate way to designate and compare "downtowns." I now know, however, how you came up with the figure of 44K people a few pages back. That was the intent of my question.
http://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore...-of-major.html

Quote:
Washington, D.C., jumped ahead of Baltimore on the list of U.S. cities ranked by downtown populations. Baltimore's downtown population ranks ninth, with 41,606 people, about 3,500 people behind D.C.'s eighth-ranked 44,120, according to Downtown Partnership.
He wasn't that far off.

Old 02-04-2016, 01:06 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
The 41K figure is pulled from the same study which designates each city's "downtown "as the area within a 1 mile radius of their city hall: http://baltimoredevelopment.com/wp-c.../2014-SODT.pdf

That is the methodology I question as arbitrary and random. Repeating it in a business journal doesn't make it any more true.

Old 02-04-2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Thanks. I can't find the source for the numbers I used, but it had Downtown DC's population slightly higher as well. I'll stick to 41k going forward until I can locate my source.

Old 02-04-2016, 03:29 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:

Never fear this isn't the first poll involving the two, plenty of Philly boosters this time around though I assume.

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...vs-boston.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City