Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is San Francisco more prominent then Chicago and LA?
Yes 35 13.67%
No 183 71.48%
Maybe 3 1.17%
Depends on the Situation 35 13.67%
Voters: 256. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 04:02 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWright View Post
I don't know what metrics are being used to equate D.C., S.F., Philly, Boston and even Atlanta with Chicago on some arbitrary "tier" but it's ridiculous...

Chicago is a mega-city by U.S. standards, Chicago's downtown is to every other city what Manhattan is to Chicago and it's not even close. Chicago has like 2,000 high rises and counting. 14 more on October's Plan Commission Agenda alone. The urbanity and scale is laughable by comparison. There is no other city in the U.S. that could give that "New York vibe" and Alpha+ global feel that Chicago oozes.

There is no area from universities, education, to cuisine, shopping, sporting history/legacy, markets, architecture, arts, industry, media, culture, infrastructure, transit, airports, theater, comedy, music, parks, festivals, business, company headquarters, political machines, innovation, organized crime, tourism, diversity, unions, attractions...etc. etc. etc.....that Chicago isn't near the top of or a leader in or was a leader in for decades.

These other cities are simply not on this level....Metro populations and being prominent and known globally for 1 or 2 defining aspects does not compare to America's true "Second City." Tech and politics are for S.F. and D.C. what the auto industry was for Detroit in the mid 20th century. Detroit was never in Chicago's league either.

The "metro population/GDP" gymnastics used here so often and wrongly greatly understates the massive difference in what "cities" are and were intended to be. Relatively high murders totals and some population loss have done wonders for underrating what a behemoth of a (city) Chicago truly is and it's significance in the world both currently and historically.
It's the metro areas/ regions surrounding those cities that only can compare to "Chicagoland". Not the cities themselves in terms of size, skyline or scale. Chicago is the #2 city undisputed in that respect. Although I do think specifically DC gives Chicago a run within the city proper, not on size, skyscrapers or urban feel, but on major institutions and prominent buildings within the city limits simply due to being the capital.

Otherwise it's only when you extrapolate some of the cities you mentioned to metro area or larger, does Chicago come down to balance out on their tier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2018, 04:06 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,894,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
It's the metro areas/ regions surrounding those cities that only can compare to "Chicagoland". Not the cities themselves in terms of size, skyline or scale. Chicago is the #2 city undisputed in that respect. Although I do think specifically DC gives Chicago a run within the city proper, not on size, skyscrapers or urban feel, but on major institutions and prominent buildings within the city limits simply due to being the capital.

Otherwise it's only when you extrapolate some of the cities you mentioned to metro area or larger, does Chicago come down to balance out on their tier.
Yeah, for skyline and downtown I would definitely give that to chicago over even LA downtown Chicago is awesome, and very dynamic. However, for even city limits I wouldn't put Chicago over LA, and don't even get me started on metro areas, or even economic might.

Old 10-06-2018, 07:31 PM

567 posts, read 431,125 times
San Francisco is beautiful but I don't believe it beats LA in terms of international prominence.

Old 01-25-2019, 05:58 PM

567 posts, read 431,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theterribleone View Post
This is it, that's why I put the link to the guardian in the OP. It seems like everyone talks about SF now. LA not so much.
In Toronto you may hear a lot of talk about SF but that's not the case state side. IMHO, in the lower 48 you're going to hear a lot more chatter about NY, LA and even Chicago, than SF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City