Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2016, 03:56 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,527,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKIQkmRrrC8

Last time I checked, April 28, 2015 is within the past 20 years. Also last time I checked, for a team to be a better franchise, they would have to beat the other team if they faced in the playoffs.
My turn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaYTyqWtFw8

Oh and this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2u7wLopWyw

All of this in the last 20 years and all of this in the 21st century. Show me the rockets success besides winning a 1st round playoff series in that same time span. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 04:03 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Don't count on it. I still can't explain 2007 myself. Never will. Don Nelson absolutely abused Avery Johnson.
They choked.

The Dallas Mavericks were a very successful franchise in the 2000s during the regular season and even had postseason success by getting far and deep in the playoffs but when it came to the crunch and taking the title they always choked in that time period. In 2006 they went to play Miami in the NBA Finals (they were favored to win that too), Dallas won the first 2 games only to get swept in the next 4 straight. This last happened to the Los Angeles Clippers a couple of seasons ago versus the Memphis Grizzlies in the first round. Won the first two games, in a decisive manner, only to choke out the next 4 and lose the series (the Clippers are perennial chokers). After choking away the win in 2006, Dallas choked away and wasted Dirk's MVP season in 2007. A 67-15 team beaten by a scrappy Monta Ellis led Warriors squad? Terrible look. Worst upset (or best, if you're the Warriors) in NBA history between a powerful 1 seed and a lowly "just happy to be here" 8 seed. Though last year had Atlanta fallen in the first round to Brooklyn, it would've been worse given how crappy the Nets were all of last year. The Nets went into the playoffs as the only team with a losing record and took a 60-22 "juggernaut" to 6 games, almost 7, and at times in the series looked like the superior team.

It wasn't until 2011 that Dallas and Dirk redeemed themselves. I have to be honest, I was under the impression they would get beat the hell up in that round but I was pleasantly surprised to see the Mavericks win it. Not that I cared to pick sides in that matchup but for having a hall of fame career, Dirk was due for at least one ring, and it was nice to see that. It is nice that he and the Mavericks caught wind of their ABSOLUTE LAST title window and capitalized on it. They haven't been real contenders since that championship. Had they not won in 2011, they more than likely would never be able to win in the Dirk era.

Now they are just contending for a playoff spot, not an actual ring. Sort of like the Clippers, except, while very early, I don't ever expect the Clippers to win a title or even get to the conference finals (not with the Paul and Griffin core). Like the 1990s and 2000s Phoenix Suns led by Charles Barkeley (1990s) and Steve Nash (2000s) they are a good regular season team that cannot execute a win in the postseason to go deep. They wont be able to either because they have to play the Warriors in the second round this year (assuming the Clippers don't screw up in the first round - you never know with this team). Dallas would've been like that, had it not won a title in 2011.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 02-17-2016 at 04:20 PM..

Old 02-17-2016, 04:27 PM

Oh yeah that was a massive choke in 2007. Going 67-15. My thing is, why did Avery change up his lineup to answer a 41-41 team. You're 67-15. You let that team play to your strengths that got you that record. Barkley couldn't believe what Avery did in game 1 of that series. It was as Avery was scared of Golden State before that series began. That series reminds me of the 2011 series between the Grizzlies and Spurs.

Old 02-17-2016, 04:49 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,592,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Don't count on it. I still can't explain 2007 myself. Never will. Don Nelson absolutely abused Avery Johnson.
The Mavs blew out the Warriors this year though. Yeah, yeah Curry was out, who cares no excuses. That should give them SOME inspiration

Old 02-17-2016, 05:10 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
The Mavs blew out the Warriors this year though. Yeah, yeah Curry was out, who cares no excuses. That should give them SOME inspiration
The Mavericks have to get through the Thunder in the first round, the Spurs in the second round (assuming Portland doesn't upset them), and then get the Warriors in the third round (assuming they aren't upset in the prior two rounds). Each round getting harder and harder than the last, literally, in terms of competition and matchups.

Just getting to play the Warriors is an uphill battle for Dallas, they have the hardest path to the NBA Finals of any projected playoff team.

Anything can happen, but I would wager that Dallas isn't going to be surprising us this year in the postseason. In any of the 3 rounds, in my opinion. Those are the 3 best teams in the NBA today, all 3 in the West. If they somehow get passed those teams, then they have to most likely face Cleveland in the NBA Finals (the 4th best team in the league - in my opinion). The Mavericks upsetting the Thunder alone would be big news and an accomplishment, but upsetting the Thunder, the Spurs, AND the Warriors is literally unimaginable. Upsetting the Thunder, Spurs, Warriors, and Cavaliers is just unearthly of a task for this Dallas squad.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 02-17-2016 at 05:36 PM..

Old 02-17-2016, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
Heh. The Warriors would run them out of the building.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:26 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,799,060 times
The Mavericks have at least given people in the DFW area something to sheer about. Their football team? Not so much. Someone needs to remind Jerry Jones it's not 1996, the last time the Cowboys did anything, and he needs to change his ways because its obviously not working.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
The Mavericks have at least given people in the DFW area something to sheer about. Their football team? Not so much. Someone needs to remind Jerry Jones it's not 1996, the last time the Cowboys did anything, and he needs to change his ways because its obviously not working.
To be quite frank, The Stars, Rangers, and Mavs have given DFW something to cheer about this century. Most people in DFW realize what the real problem with Dallas. Even Texas Monthly wrote an article about it.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:11 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,897,353 times
In fact, not only are the Stars are THE best team in the Metroplex at the moment, they're one of the best in the league.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:41 PM

401 posts, read 551,730 times
Philly fans are extremely loyal. Besides the Flyers, all their teams are horrible or mediocre.

Loved the passion the city had for its' teams no matter how bad they were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City