Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you ever see San Francisco surpassing Chicago in terms of stature?
Yes 30 33.33%
No 60 66.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 08:41 AM

306 posts, read 479,932 times

Advertisements

Chicago crime is overblown in the media. Sad,yes, but as if it affects 0 of the area's where travelers who visit Chicago go to.

San Fran is absolutely beautiful, but walking around downtown there still is a homeless problem that is not seen in downtown Chicago.

Chicago is the absolute cleanest Big American city in the downtown area with everything contained in a walkable area from North Michigan - Mil Park,- Theatre District-riverwalk-Navy Pier-Art Institute-literally 1000's of restaraunts-lakefront-lake and river cruises-Grant Park- old and new architecture-planeterium,shed, etc. etc.

I have yet to meet someone who does not love Chicago when they visit(even in the winter) and most first timers are blown away.

Don't let the internet message boards skew that because there is crime taking place on small pockets of the south and west side.

Again not saying it is not tragic and bad, but simply google homicides in chicago and it is far less than the 1990s, just have social media, etc now.
And again, the person visiting Chicago will have no encounter with the area.

Old 02-06-2016, 08:49 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,102,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameunavailable View Post
Until Chicago gets control on its crime it will continue to take a hit in most peoples eyes.
Forget the media proganda and its push for ratings. The violent crime in Chicago is concentrated in the South and West sides. But go to the Loop, the Northside, Downtown, etc. and it's a whole 'nother world. I can't tell you how many times tourists walk up to me in a day when I visit Chicago and ask me for directions to some popular restuarant or some historic landmark or famous local tourist destination, and half of them have foreign accents. Don't believe (or perpetuate) the hype.

Last edited by NoClueWho; 02-06-2016 at 08:57 AM..

Old 02-06-2016, 08:54 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,102,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tocoto View Post
No one believes this but a few on CD. It's like Chicago dropped off the face of the earth which it hasn't, and cities like Boston, Houston, Dallas, Seattle, Miami, Philly, Atlanta don't exist. Very provincial thinking.
AMEN!!! I'm glad someone finally said this. Some folks are blatant boosters and others just need to get off City-Data and get out and visit and explore the places they think and claim they know so well more.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:04 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,360,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
Not talking about today's city rankings, but projecting out into the future (meaning 10+ years from now), do you see a scenario where San Francisco surpasses Chicago as a city and metro area in terms of stature?

What do you guys think?
I think you/ve been eating too much candy. Chicago has been taking a hit because of crime issues on s and w sides, but in size and in the downtowns and many neighborhoods, no comparison, although SF is a pretty city no doubt. Now go eat some vegetables!

Old 02-06-2016, 10:34 AM

832 posts, read 1,254,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westburbsil View Post
Chicago crime is overblown in the media. Sad,yes, but as if it affects 0 of the area's where travelers who visit Chicago go to.

San Fran is absolutely beautiful, but walking around downtown there still is a homeless problem that is not seen in downtown Chicago.

Chicago is the absolute cleanest Big American city in the downtown area with everything contained in a walkable area from North Michigan - Mil Park,- Theatre District-riverwalk-Navy Pier-Art Institute-literally 1000's of restaraunts-lakefront-lake and river cruises-Grant Park- old and new architecture-planeterium,shed, etc. etc.

I have yet to meet someone who does not love Chicago when they visit(even in the winter) and most first timers are blown away.

Don't let the internet message boards skew that because there is crime taking place on small pockets of the south and west side.

Again not saying it is not tragic and bad, but simply google homicides in chicago and it is far less than the 1990s, just have social media, etc now.
And again, the person visiting Chicago will have no encounter with the area.
More than 62 people have been murdered in Chicago since January 1st 2016... nuff said

Old 02-06-2016, 12:45 PM

538 posts, read 658,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
More than 62 people have been murdered in Chicago since January 1st 2016... nuff said
I think it is in the 70s now. Compared to 24 for NYC.

Old 02-06-2016, 01:05 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,593,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
I think you/ve been eating too much candy. Chicago has been taking a hit because of crime issues on s and w sides, but in size and in the downtowns and many neighborhoods, no comparison, although SF is a pretty city no doubt. Now go eat some vegetables!
I actually don't really eat candy lol. Sweets aren't my thing

Old 02-06-2016, 04:08 PM

832 posts, read 1,254,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameunavailable View Post
I think it is in the 70s now. Compared to 24 for NYC.
72 now... Well, by the time someone quote this post, the count would have got up lol

Old 02-06-2016, 10:56 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,700,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
I know Chicago has good areas and the media can blow things up. But I'm sorry...this is TRAGIC. An absolute tragedy

Old 02-06-2016, 11:11 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
This.

When it comes to national prestige, its New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and DC...and then Chicago.
No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City