Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you ever see San Francisco surpassing Chicago in terms of stature?
Yes 30 33.33%
No 60 66.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 02:35 AM

3,814 posts, read 4,008,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
You are clueless dude. job centers were all the way up the peninsula and the majority of the eastern half of San Francisco were job centers not just downtown.

The port of Redwood City was quite active in the 1960's and 70's. South San Francisco had Bethlehem Steel, Swift, Armour and Dubuque Packing. Fuller O'Brien Paint, Folgers, etc. SSF was known as the industrial city for a reason.

Similar deal in the East Bay on the western side of the hwy 17 corridor (now 880). All the job centers back then were located north of San Jose in what is now the San Francisco MSA. You know absolutely zilch about the history of the Bay Area and how the South Bay region came to be what it is.

I don't need to get second hand memories/stories from my parents. I seen it first hand. Fruit orchards were nearly gone in the Santa Clara Valley by 1970 except as I mentioned along the old Monterey Hwy corridor and locations in the western sections of the MSA.

Woah yea, because the peninsula is totally San Fransisco!

Are you really trying to talk about Bethlehem steel? Dude the steel industry DIED in the 1970's due to foreign competition.

Is your memory so shot that you do not remember the 1970's as the beginning of the decline in American Manufacturing? Did you completely miss what happened to those industries which pretty much died between 1960 and 1980?

You keep trying to paint this fantasy of San Jose being a suburb of SF, but yet everyone of your examples is every city BUT SF.

But yea keep your fantasy narrative. Anytime you have any factual evidence to suggest San Jose developed because of job centers in the city of SF I will be waiting.

But pretty much every study on the economy of San Jose notes that the city went from agriculture based in 1940, to dominated by technology by 1970. Apparently you think somehow in those 30 years in between, it became a "suburb" of SF. HAHAHA!

Last edited by WizardOfRadical; 02-09-2016 at 02:45 AM..

Old 02-09-2016, 12:53 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
I am not grossly exaggerating, you are just imagining things. First it is 48 miles city hall to city hall. I said 50, that is not "grossly" exaggerating. That is nearly spot on.

Secondly, it is not 32 miles, city limit to city limit. Please just stop. The extreme west end of San Jose is like 40 miles from the sf city limit. And even then, so what? It's not like the extreme south end of SF was a job center, and it is not like all of San Jose lived on the extreme western border. All the SF jobs were pretty much downtown back then.

Please just stop. Your fantasy of San Jose being a suburb of SF is not substantiated in any factual reality.

And there were plenty of orchards in Silicon Valley after the 1960's. My parents saw it with their own eyes going to college at Santa Clara and Standford. Again, please just stop.

You did exaggerate and it was gross. Closer to 32 miles on city limits. I didnt say it was a suburb. More like a node with lots of housing.
Standford? Stanford is located in Palo Alto a suburb of San Francisco.

Old 02-10-2016, 12:31 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,347,216 times
Palo Alto is not even in the same metro as San Francisco. It's part of Santa Clara County.

Old 02-10-2016, 02:17 PM

43 posts, read 62,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Palo Alto is not even in the same metro as San Francisco. It's part of Santa Clara County.
That's SF for you, trying to leech and claim anything remotely relevant they can find as their own. LA is kind of like that too.

The real question here really is if the San Francisco-San Jose combo will really have as significant a lead on tech/internet in the future as it does now. Other places will obviously work on reducing it.

Old 02-10-2016, 05:20 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,983,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Fremont is further from San Francisco than Palo Alto and it's in the SF metro. You want to put an imaginary line on the Menlo Park/Palo Alto county line because some geek at the census bureau decides the metros are split at the county line go right ahead.

Palo Alto is no more a suburb of San Jose as it is to San Francisco. The only suburbs to San Jose are Campbell, Cupertino, Milpitas and to a lesser extent Los Gatos.

Many years ago there was only one metropolitan area. San Jose annexed so much land and sprawled that the census bureau decided to split the metros. Even now with San Jose larger than San Francisco, it's not designated a control city until you reach Salinas on northbound 101.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:14 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Obviously I'm in the minority looking at the votes but I think SF has already surpassed Chicago and will only continue separating itself as a more interesting and creative place.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:23 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,008,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Obviously I'm in the minority looking at the votes but I think SF has already surpassed Chicago and will only continue separating itself as a more interesting and creative place.

No one is saying it is not more interesting or creative. Hell, Seattle and Boston are more interesting and creative than Chicago.

But Chicago is an economic powerhouse and very influential politically speaking.

SF does not even have an economy that can compare to San Jose, let alone Chicago. SF is only politically relevant when politicians need money for fund raising, otherwise it might as well be Minneapolis or Denver.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:27 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,405,508 times
Quote:
No one is saying it is not more interesting or creative. Hell, Seattle and Boston are more interesting and creative than Chicago.

But Chicago is an economic powerhouse and very influential politically speaking.

SF does not even have an economy that can compare to San Jose, let alone Chicago. SF is only politically relevant when politicians need money for fund raising, otherwise it might as well be Minneapolis or Denver.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:21 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,983,735 times
Quote:

San Jose is a bedroom community that loses population during the day to the real silicon valley city job centers (Menlo Park/Palo Alto/Mountain View/Sunnyvale/Santa Clara/Cupertino) while other cities like San Francisco gains close to 200,000 a day. Your SJ homerism is reeking to astronomical levels. SF metro has a much higher GDP than the SJ metro.

Talk about a city that needs it's satellite cities to boast it's economy, San Jose is a big benefactor of that.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:29 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,941,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameunavailable View Post
Until Chicago gets control on its crime it will continue to take a hit in most peoples eyes.
...and gets control on its finances as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City