Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cleveland vs. New Orleans
Cleveland 45 32.61%
New Orleans 93 67.39%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 09:23 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,858,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
So does Cleveland! Largest Hungarian population and Slovenian population outside of their respective countries.

About the Hungarian Americans of Cleveland Website : The Cleveland Memory Project
Slovenian National Home | Cleveland Historical
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
You quite clearly don't know anything about Cleveland. I will continue to tell you this because all of your posts reek of no actual concrete knowledge.
And your posts reek of arrogance. I've been visiting Cleveland most of my life and I've visited New Orleans several times. It's not even a contest. Even my hometown of St. Louis, which probably is one of the most similar cities to Cleveland, pales in comparison to the richness of New Orleans' history, music scene, culture, architecture etc. Cleveland is not that unique, not like New Orleans. Quit bugging me with your whining. Same to all the other pro Clevelanders in this topic. Go away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2016, 09:39 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Lol I can't believe this is still going.

Old 03-04-2016, 10:01 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,737,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
And your posts reek of arrogance. I've been visiting Cleveland most of my life and I've visited New Orleans several times. It's not even a contest. Even my hometown of St. Louis, which probably is one of the most similar cities to Cleveland, pales in comparison to the richness of New Orleans' history, music scene, culture, architecture etc. Cleveland is not that unique, not like New Orleans. Quit bugging me with your whining. Same to all the other pro Clevelanders in this topic. Go away.
Great post! Agree completely. To claim Cleveland is as unique and as urban as New Orleans shows zero knowledge of the Big Easy outside the Quarter. Maybe Cleveland could have compared in 1960? But it is not even close today. Not even close at all. This is a perfect example where CSA means diddly squat, and folks in a run down industrial part of Canton do nothing to raise the urban profile of Cleveland.

The only areas Cleveland may beat NO? Some cultural institutions like the CMA, or the Zoo. Certainly Cleveland has better transit. But its not like Cleveland has some big city transit system.

Old 03-04-2016, 10:10 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,122,775 times
Quote:
Where in Cleveland have you visited? It makes a big difference. If you've only been to Downtown and the suburbs, you don't really know the city.

Old 03-05-2016, 06:36 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Wow you take things personally. All your whining and defensiveness still doesn't make you know anything though. You know you're no good at discussion when you are the first one to say you're taking your toys and going home.

What's amazing is that I've never once said that Cleveland is better than New Orleans. I've said and been backing up how it is a very interesting place with a very grand history and culture. This is the claim. You New Orleans homers are SO irrational you can't even admit to that. Talk about childish. I mean seriously, two places can simultaneously be worthy and have have their own histories. You really should read about Cleveland before making a fool of yourself.

Now in addition to "unique" (a word you've used incorrectly like five times) you have to look up "arrogance" too. You guys accusing a place of millions of being the same as pretty much anywhere, while New Orleans is somehow amazing cultural mecca, is arrogance.

This is still an unbelievably stupid conversation. I have to reason to believe you've ever been to Cleveland still, other than your CONSTANT assertions and claims to higher knowledge than me about my hometown. Now that is arrogant!

Would you mind running through a basic history, demographic, and cultural summary of all Cleveland St Louis, Detroit etc and show me why exactly they're exactly the same? Give it a try. I can't wait to destroy more baseless claims.

Have a nice day, friend.

Last edited by bjimmy24; 03-05-2016 at 06:51 AM..

Old 03-05-2016, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Wow you take things personally. All your whining and defensiveness still doesn't make you know anything though. You know you're no good at discussion when you are the first one to say you're taking your toys and going home.

What's amazing is that I've never once said that Cleveland is better than New Orleans. I've said and been backing up how it is a very interesting place with a very grand history and culture. This is the claim. You New Orleans homers are SO irrational you can't even admit to that. Talk about childish. I mean seriously, two places can simultaneously be worthy and have have their own histories. You really should read about Cleveland before making a fool of yourself.

Now in addition to "unique" (a word you've used incorrectly like five times) you have to look up "arrogance" too. You guys accusing a place of millions of being the same as pretty much anywhere, while New Orleans is somehow amazing cultural mecca, is arrogance.

This is still an unbelievably stupid conversation. I have to reason to believe you've ever been to Cleveland still, other than your CONSTANT assertions and claims to higher knowledge than me about my hometown. Now that is arrogant!

Would you mind running through a basic history, demographic, and cultural summary of all Cleveland St Louis, Detroit etc and show me why exactly they're exactly the same? Give it a try. I can't wait to destroy more baseless claims.

Have a nice day, friend.
He's not from New Orleans. Most of the people here aren't from New Orleans.

I would call the bolded statement fact and not arrogance. Vast majority of people consider New Orleans a cultural mecca and Cleveland not.

Old 03-05-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
He's not from New Orleans. Most of the people here aren't from New Orleans.

I would call the bolded statement fact and not arrogance. Vast majority of people consider New Orleans a cultural mecca and Cleveland not.
So Cleveland is pretty much the same as anywhere else. Arrogance again, sorry.

And the vast majority of people consider nyc, Paris, London cultural Meccas. New Orleans isn't close. Not even almost.

Old 03-05-2016, 08:43 AM

Quote:
So Cleveland is pretty much the same as anywhere else. Arrogance again, sorry.

And the vast majority of people consider nyc, Paris, London cultural Meccas. New Orleans isn't close. Not even almost.
Cleveland is a city that probably looks like most American cities, no? It's a city where the foods and accents and traditions are part of life in other American cities? Am I wrong?

New Orleans doesn't look like most American cities, it feels like another country when you go into Orleans Parish. Creole and Cajun restaurants can be found in most 1st world countries. It's a city that mostly identifies with the Caribbean and southern European cultures and that influence is still palpable today and is the reason for 10 million tourists. Cleveland is more representative of the region around it and New Orleans isn't.
Can you say the same for Cleveland?

New York, Paris, London, Miami, AND New Orleans are unique cultural meccas recognized around the world.
Cleveland beats New Orleans in many areas but not this one. You're reaching way too far and look foolish.

Old 03-05-2016, 08:50 AM

1,046 posts, read 1,535,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Great post! Agree completely. To claim Cleveland is as unique and as urban as New Orleans shows zero knowledge of the Big Easy outside the Quarter. Maybe Cleveland could have compared in 1960? But it is not even close today. Not even close at all. This is a perfect example where CSA means diddly squat, and folks in a run down industrial part of Canton do nothing to raise the urban profile of Cleveland.

The only areas Cleveland may beat NO? Some cultural institutions like the CMA, or the Zoo. Certainly Cleveland has better transit. But its not like Cleveland has some big city transit system.
One can only shake their head and laugh when the transit system is mentioned as if it's some kind of "1-UP" on another city.

"New Orleans the most unique place in the US? Oh yeah... well we got a transit system!!"

There are more than 6.2 million annual riders on the Red line and the Blue/Green line has more than 2.7 million annual riders but get this..... I worked for a fortune 500 company right in the heart of Cleveland where folks had easy access to the transit system and out of the hundreds of employees that worked there, literally 3 people used it. Everyone else drove to work. Why? Because people who can afford to not take public transportation have no desire to watch Cleveland bus drivers deliver uppercuts to their passengers on their way to work. Just search youtube for Cleveland bus driver uppercut.

These attempts to try and make Cleveland be more than it really is are getting old and tiresome. The same posters have over 200 threads which mention things like "Cleveland Orchestra" or "Little Italy". Do a search and see for yourself. These folks need to give it a rest. It's now reached absurd levels where we have Cleveland vs New Orleans comparisons being made in an attempt to hang on it's coat tails in an effort to prop up Cleveland! Just stop the antics already, no one is buying it.

Last edited by maxmodder; 03-05-2016 at 09:46 AM..

Old 03-05-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Cleveland is a city that probably looks like most American cities, no? It's a city where the foods and accents and traditions are part of life in other American cities? Am I wrong?

New Orleans doesn't look like most American cities, it feels like another country when you go into Orleans Parish. Creole and Cajun restaurants can be found in most 1st world countries. It's a city that mostly identifies with the Caribbean and southern European cultures and that influence is still palpable today and is the reason for 10 million tourists. Cleveland is more representative of the region around it and New Orleans isn't.
Can you say the same for Cleveland?

New York, Paris, London, Miami, AND New Orleans are unique cultural meccas recognized around the world.
Cleveland beats New Orleans in many areas but not this one. You're reaching way too far and look foolish.
I'm not saying Cleveland is similar to New Orleans. Why does t New Orleans get credit for its Caribbean and French background but clevelands unreplicated eastern and southern Slavic background is called "the same" as other places?

Cleveland doesn't look like other cities. Have you ever been there, or are you just assumin you know? Again, that is arrogance. Not trying to start a fight, I just think it's unreal that so many people already have opinions without facts or experience.

And New Orleans does not beat Cleveland in classical arts. New Orleans has jazz which is great, but why does nobody talk about the FACT that Cleveland is he home of rock n roll? Nobody talks about the punk that started here or groups like death of Samantha or pere ubu or any number of those bands that used to rock the flats all the time that influenced music around the globe. New Orleans has a unique contribution as does Cleveland. Have you EVER done research into Cleveland? You look foolish. I really can't believe how many experts we have here.

Cleveland actually beats New Orleans in most all categories except in the areas where New Orleans has excelled historically (not really sure about now) in terms of food and music. Even there, plenty of people can recognize and appreciate that, but still prefer Cleveland.

I've said his before, most people go to New Orleans to drink. I'm sorry but that is true. I haven't heard you or anyone else really explain New Orleans culture except "omg you are an idiot and foolish for not appreciating hundreds of years ago when French and carribeans lived here. Cleveland sucks, even though I've never been there, read about it, and don't plan to." complete ignorance.

Please tell me the history of Cleveland and its cultural traits and compare them to all the myriad of other cities just like it. Shouldn't take you more than a minute since this is apparently so obvious to all of you. Then tell me how my claim of "New Orleans is cool, but you guys are discounting quite a lot of what makes Cleveland great" is at all controversial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City