Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cleveland vs. New Orleans
Cleveland 45 32.61%
New Orleans 93 67.39%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 12:33 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,424,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Cleveland is not a great tourist city. It is however a great city to live.
Actually, Cleveland is a decent tourist city. It's not remotely on the level with NO as tourist attraction, however.

You would be surprised if you noodled through tripadvisor.com, about how Cedar Point, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum and Ohio Amish Country are significant international tourist attractions. The Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton is a major North American tourist attraction, now in conjunction with the Rock Hall; the two HOFs even offer combo ticket packages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 12:37 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
die thread, die

Old 03-07-2016, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmodder View Post
Bjimmy, WRnative, and Cleverfield are well known on this board for their pro Cleveland bias. I used to live 2 hours from New Orleans and visited there almost every other weekend. None of them have as much experience with both locations as I do.

Inb4 the reason is because you just didn't visit the right places in Cleveland. *rolls eyes*
First, I don't believe anything you say for documented reasons. I would ask others if they believe that anyone, unless for reasons not disclosed here (e.g., romance), would drive four hours every other weekend to visit a city for jazz, food, or whatever. What hellhole did you live in if such trips were necessary???

Second, I've acknowledged bad things about Cleveland. You're bashing is preposterous, as I've repeatedly documented, and yet you retract nothing, just repeat your bashes and add new ones (persons don't ride RTA because of physically abusive drivers).

Your claims and statements are incredulous, and, for example, I've lived Greater Cleveland many more years than you, as well as elsewhere in the U.S., and am very widely traveled, and I know you are a shameless basher of Cleveland for whatever reason. Ghetto-like Beachwood Mall experiences, six-hour winter drives on interstates for the 40 miles between Akron and Cleveland in unremarkable winter weather, and now physically abusive RTA drivers scaring persons from RTA mass transit; all are claims exaggerated from isolated incidents, and the Akron to Cleveland story is beyond my imagination. You're pathetic in your bashing.

Last edited by WRnative; 03-07-2016 at 12:56 PM..

Old 03-07-2016, 12:51 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Quick history lesson: there was a mass migration from the South to the North in the 20th century, roughly from 1920-1970, in search of jobs in the industrialized urban centers in the Northeast and Midwest from the rural, agrarian South. The migration also included folks migrating from the rural South to the urban South, so a city like New Orleans wouldn't have experienced as much outflow as other areas of the South.
lol and that had nothing to do with racial discrimination?

Might wanna know who you're talking to before you start spouting off about history lessons...

Old 03-07-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by First24 View Post
Cleveland's in a tough spot here. Any city going head to head against New Orleans based on cultural significance and urban vibe would struggle.

Also, New Orleans is aguably the most beloved major city in the U.S. by Americans.
Are we talking about New Orleans as a tourist destination, or as a place to live?

NO wins the tourist destination battle, hands-down, but Cleveland, especially for those interested in high culture and economic conditions and future (rising sea levels) should win the place to live contest for anybody not planning to be a short-term transient.

Old 03-07-2016, 12:55 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
You speak like most people I've met who have never been to New Orleans, so it was only natural for me to suggest that you actually see the city for yourself in order to know what I know.

But if you want something objective detailing things that most people here already know...um, okay, here's a video I guess:

I would say that I've never seen such blind homerism, but that would be a lie, because I've been a City Data member for years.
You still haven't read anything I've actually written.

My claim for the 100th time: Cleveland is actually much more historic, cultured, and interesting than a lot of people on here seem to think.

That's literally all I've said and now the peanut gallery of simpletons goes into full HOMERISM mode!

Maxmodder, I'm glad you think I'm well known. Apparently you don't read my posts in the Cleveland forum where I do post negative things. I even have disagreed with your best friend WRnative on several Cleveland related things. I also post quite a lot of good and bad things about my current home, Boston. But I guess that doesn't fit your narrative. Easier to just scream people down for having the gall to say that two places can be interesting at the same time. It's always a zero sum game for you people. Makes zero sense.

Oh and back to you Gunion Poweder, an hour long commercial is not objective. You keep using that word. I'm not sure you know what it means.

Old 03-07-2016, 12:58 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,535,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
First, I don't believe anything you say for documented reasons. I would ask others if they believe that anyone, unless for reasons not disclosed here (e.g., romance), would drive four hours every other weekend to visit a city for jazz, food, or whatever. What hellhole did you live in if such trips were necessary???
And that is why you will never see past your pro bias of Cleveland. I lived in Hattiesburg MS for 4 years, and trust me...once you've exhausted all the things to do there, you travel to New Orleans on the weekends. Go see my posts in the MS section on the site. I'm afraid that every time you question my credibility and I prove you wrong, you lose more and more credibility.

Quote:
Second, I've acknowledged bad things about Cleveland. You're bashing is preposterous, as I've repeatedly documented, and yet you retract nothing, just repeat your bashes and add new ones (persons don't ride RTA because of physically abusive drivers).
You've acknowledge a few bad things, but they are lost in your ever growing sea of pro bias. I posted exactly how many people ride the RTA per year in my original post! I stated Millions! I also stated that no one I know used it but 3 people. That doesn't mean that persons don't take it. I provided exactly how many millions do take it. However, I PERSONALLY had no use for it, so excuse me if I refuse to see the benefit of something that has no benefit to me. Glad to see the city taxes I paid to Cleveland are at least helping somebody.

Quote:
Your claims and statements are incredulous, and, for example, I've lived Greater Cleveland many more years than you, as well as elsewhere in the U.S., and am very widely traveled, and I know you are a shameless basher of Cleveland for whatever reason.
And exactly what other places have you lived at in the U.S and for how long?

My claims and statements are spot on.....regardless how much the pro Clevelanders wish they weren't so.

Old 03-07-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
lol and that had nothing to do with racial discrimination?

Might wanna know who you're talking to before you start spouting off about history lessons...
Yeah, many communities in the South would actually arrest blacks trying to migrate north for better wages and living conditions. See "Problems of Leave-Taking" on page 2 here:

http://www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/1987/03/art5full.pdf

They probably don't teach that in Southern schools.

Old 03-07-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmodder View Post
I also stated that no one I know used it but 3 people.
That was NOT your original statement. You said you worked in an office of hundreds and that "literally" only three persons used RTA to commute to work. After I challenged the ridiculousness of this statement, in typical Maxmodder fashion, you're changing your story.

You also said that persons didn't ride RTA because of abusive drivers. You later modified your reasons that RTA might not be widely used by commuters to include the point that I first made, that it's relatively cheap to commute by car to downtown Cleveland, but you never retracted your preposterous original statements.

See your posts 159, 162, 164, and 167. As I said, your Cleveland bashes are pathetic and I don't believe much written by you, especially about Cleveland.

Old 03-07-2016, 01:12 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
This is embarrassing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City