Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more desirable?
San Diego 154 57.89%
Philadelphia 112 42.11%
Voters: 266. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 01:56 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
San Diego: Republican
Philly: Democratic
Except that both the city, (highly) and county, (barely) trend Democratic in San Diego. The city is distinctly blue, (my neighborhood and district would be down right indigo), the county, purple. Of course there are suburban areas that trend highly republican, but they are offset by the populated urban core.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 02:11 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
Those saying there is nothing to see or do outside of center city in Philly are ridiculous. I would rather have a city where I can bike around and see/eat/discover new things every day. I just don't find streets or neighborhoods like this that appealing: San Diego

Today was the first day I ever really explored Brewerytown outside of just driving through, took a few pictures.

I always tell my gf Philly reminds me of the 70s' Charlie and the Chocolate Factory town:

This neighborhoods rowhouses had a ton of character:

High School in the neighborhood:

Girard College's Campus has a handle of amazing buildings, I think it is a bordering school now:

Great city to adventure on a bike. Saying Philly is just center city is selling the city unbelievably short.

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 02-20-2016 at 02:39 PM..

Old 02-20-2016, 02:17 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
^^^

You really think showing a suburb miles from the city is an honest depiction of a neighborhood in the city?

As if Philadelphia doesn't also have boring suburbs miles from the city where it would be boring to walk in and around. My neighborhood looks nothing like that and is exactly the type of neighborhood that people walk around and seek out to live in.

http://www.southparksd.com/

Last edited by T. Damon; 02-20-2016 at 02:37 PM..

Old 02-20-2016, 02:39 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,734,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Try working 12 hours a day in Center City Philly or NYC dealing with massive amounts of stress and you might understand what I am talking about. If you were born in SD and have never left your view of the real world may be distorted.

By the way Dont you have a bonfire to get to down at Coronado? Don't forget the marshmallows
Don't even try to compare to working environment of Philly to NYC. The average Philadelphian isn't working 12 hour days because it's not a center of media, banking, investments or fashion. I've walked around Center City day and night and the area around Market St. is deserted after 6pm. Nice try, though.

Really, a bonfire in Coronado? For someone who represents the the 5th largest city in the country (Soon to be 6th), the points you bring up are more akin to someone living in Youngstown, OH.

Quote:
I was referring to the Philadlephia Region not just the city . From the Atlantic Ocean on westward there are no impediments to build and live. Thats certainly not the case for SD which is geographically challenged.
Between 2010 and 2014, Metro San Diego has grown at rate of 5.43%, while Metro Philly grew by just 1.44% (Embarrassingly ranking 26th as far as growth rates among the 30 largest metros), so I don't know what being "Geographically challenged" has to do with anything.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tistical_Areas

Quote:
Not trying to cherry pick but here is the first SD pic that popped up on my Google search. It kind of verifies that this particular part of SD is not as walkable as most parts of Philadelphia. Im sure
there are much better images of SD so pardon me if I picked a bad one.
No one is arguing as to which city is more walkable overall, clearly the answer is Philly, but so what? Walkability isn't the only reason people choose to live where they live.

Old 02-20-2016, 02:42 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
^^^

You really think showing a suburb miles from the city is an honest depiction of a neighborhood in the city?

As if Philidelphia doesn't also have boring suburbs miles from the city where it would be boring to walk in and around. My neighborhood looks nothing like that and is exactly the type of neighborhood that people walk around and seek out to live in.

South Park, San Diego Official Website - Welcome
No doubt, that looks like a cool neighborhood. I can't lie my experience's in SD revolve around spending a couple summers with my cousins out near Scripps Ranch so my perception of the city might be a bit skewed, but I think there is a lot more to find in the neighborhoods of Philly than it is given credit for.

Old 02-20-2016, 02:47 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Except that both the city, (highly) and county, (barely) trend Democratic in San Diego. The city is distinctly blue, (my neighborhood and district would be down right indigo), the county, purple. Of course there are suburban areas that trend highly republican, but they are offset by the populated urban core.
It's common knowledge that the San Diego region is conservative: San Diego cities among state’s most conservative, study finds | FOX5 San Diego - San Diego News, Weather, Traffic and Sports | KSWB. Most military cities are conservative, so it's no big surprise.

The last Republican to serve as Philly's mayor left office in 1952. Since that time, San Diego voters have chosen 8 Republicans to serve as their mayor, including their current mayor.

There is nothing wrong if folks enjoy living in conservative cities. It's just not my thing.

Old 02-20-2016, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneKane View Post
I never said there aren't any young people that like the slow lifestyle like old retirees. It's cute that you need to throw a hissy fit about that though. Most people that aren't retirees usually move somewhere over jobs btw, in case you weren't aware of how things worked in life.

While San Deigo has beaches, they are cold and the town in general is kind of bland, so I wouldn't call it nice... Miami, Tahiti, Sydney those places are nice....

That type of logic makes better sense that your posts.
Why would anything related to Philly give me a hissy fit? It's not like anyone is moving there in droves and dreams of living there or anything. Those aspirations are best left for NYC. Philly is a great town to unwind in after visiting NYC since it's much quieter, less crowded and less vibrant. The slower pace is what I like about it, ie, uncrowded sidewalks, less people, less vibrant, smaller, etc. Like I said before, it's a great city, but don't try to make it bigger and better than it is because it just makes you look desperate. And let's be honest here, once you leave done Center City and the surrounding nabes, you've seen it all.

Old 02-20-2016, 03:08 PM

Quote:
It's common knowledge that the San Diego region is conservative: San Diego cities among state’s most conservative, study finds | FOX5 San Diego - San Diego News, Weather, Traffic and Sports | KSWB. Most military cities are conservative, so it's no big surprise.

The last Republican to serve as Philly's mayor left office in 1952. Since that time, San Diego voters have chosen 8 Republicans to serve as their mayor, including their current mayor.

There is nothing wrong if folks enjoy living in conservative cities. It's just not my thing.
Did you miss part of there being more registered Democrats than Republicans in SD in the link you posted?
Sure, it's the most conservative of the big cities but it's not as red as you would like it to be.

And instead of worrying about San Diego's political leanings, why don't you try and figure out why Philly is the slowest growing and cheapest area along the BoWash Corridor and let us know.

Old 02-20-2016, 03:17 PM

414 posts, read 508,092 times
Quote:

"Among the Most Conservative Cities in California"

As in, San Diego is "conservative" because California is suuuper liberal.

The report found San Diego to be the 27th most liberal city of all cities with populations above 250,000.

Seeing that there are exactly 81 cities with populations over 250,000, San Diego ranks in the top 3rd most liberal cities in the country. I'd hardly call that "conservative". You should do more research or familiarize yourself with the city/region.

Old 02-20-2016, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julianpieohmy View Post
"Among the Most Conservative Cities in California"

As in, San Diego is "conservative" because California is suuuper liberal.

The report found San Diego to be the 27th most liberal city of all cities with populations above 250,000.

Seeing that there are exactly 81 cities with populations over 250,000, San Diego ranks in the top 3rd most liberal cities in the country. I'd hardly call that "conservative". You should do more research or familiarize yourself with the city/region.
And it's not like Philly is among the Top 10 liberal places, either. San Diego isn't that far behind it in this ranking by The Economist. You'd think a city with an Ivy League school would have smarter people living there but I guess I was wrong.

Daily chart: Urban ideologies | The Economist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City