Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more desirable?
San Diego 154 57.89%
Philadelphia 112 42.11%
Voters: 266. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 10:05 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Coronado is definitely very expensive but I personally would never pay to live there with so many gawking tourists walking around; Kind of funny how it's such a huge tourist magnet. That's not the case for wealthy neighborhoods with beautiful homes in the Philly area, but there is just so much more history and notable sites for tourists to see here.
Most of the wealthy areas in SD are by the beach so that's why they attract tourists. The wealthier parts that are inland don't of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 10:17 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,872,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
most of the last many pages are weird and confusing...

and this claustrophobic thing is confusing me as well
Yeah, people may as well argue over what is better: water or fire. These cities are strikingly different to me. If you want a big, urban city where you can live easily without a car in a four season climate amidst older/thinner streets surrounded by history, then Philly is a great option. If you want a big, beautiful semi-urban city with many amenities and a laid back lifestyle (not completely, but moreso) and direct access to the Pacific ocean in a moderate climate, San Diego is a great option. Definitely of an oversimplification (both have history, both can support car-less lifestyles, etc.), but it makes the point.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:26 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Most of the wealthy areas in SD are by the beach so that's why they attract tourists. The wealthier parts that are inland don't of course.
Makes sense-La Jolla had many tourists too, but not everywhere which was nice.

Old 03-07-2016, 11:24 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,213,400 times
Quote:
So weird how nature makes you feel claustrophobic but not being in the middle of 60 million people doesn't.
Ive never considered the desert nature. There are few exceptions but mainly the desert is more of a inhospitable wasteland in my eyes.

Keep in mind 60 M people are spread out over tens of thousands of sq miles. Lush, green miles with bays,rivers,lakes streams,dense forests.

By the way whats the E-W distance for SD between the Pacific Ocean and the hostile desert? 30 Miles perhaps? Yeah thats not constrictive at all to someone from the east coast. Ive got 400 miles of a Napa Valley Like setting surrounding me

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858
Yeah find another word...
No!

Old 03-07-2016, 11:35 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Ive never considered the desert nature. There are few exceptions but mainly the desert is more of a inhospitable wasteland in my eyes.

Keep in mind 60 M people are spread out over tens of thousands of sq miles. Lush, green miles with bays,rivers,lakes streams,dense forests.

By the way whats the E-W distance for SD between the Pacific Ocean and the hostile desert? 30 Miles perhaps? Yeah thats not constrictive at all to someone from the east coast. Ive got 400 miles of a Napa Valley Like setting surrounding me

No!
Well it is and it's completely wide open unlike the more "claustrophobic" forests of the eastern US. Seems the varied geography out west scares you, it's ok, it's dramatic but it won't bite you.

Yeah I get that but it's still a lot more densely populated overall and you're never that far from some sort of development/town.

More like 60-90 miles driving distance. Hostile desert? Are coming across it in a covered wagon or something? lol.

Old 03-07-2016, 01:34 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Well it is and it's completely wide open unlike the more "claustrophobic" forests of the eastern US. Seems the varied geography out west scares you, it's ok, it's dramatic but it won't bite you.

Yeah I get that but it's still a lot more densely populated overall and you're never that far from some sort of development/town.

More like 60-90 miles driving distance. Hostile desert? Are coming across it in a covered wagon or something? lol.

obviously anything that does not Rain often on Rocks would be hostile

Old 03-07-2016, 02:26 PM

5 posts, read 7,474 times
Philly is the clear choice. San Diego is just a giant suburb, subsidized by the US military. Talk about a lack of personality. Philly has character.

Old 03-07-2016, 05:13 PM

414 posts, read 508,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryporter View Post
Philly is the clear choice. San Diego is just a giant suburb, subsidized by the US military. Talk about a lack of personality. Philly has character.
*Has never experienced San Diego*

Old 03-07-2016, 05:57 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,488,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
. Are you saying would be ok for me to wander around South Philly or the area around Temple on my own?
Clearly you are ignorant. Yes, many parts of South Philly are perfectly safe to go walking around at all hours of the day and night. Queen Village, Passyunk Square, Easy Passyunk, and Graduate Hospital are all very safe and very lively neighborhoods of South Philly. I should know because I live there.

Also, the area around Temple has gentrified quite a lot in recent years. Its clearly safe for thousands of Temple students to walk around in at night.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:54 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
most of the last many pages are weird and confusing...

and this claustrophobic thing is confusing me as well

Obviously he's confused and using claustrophobic when he means isolated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City