Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more desirable?
San Diego 154 57.89%
Philadelphia 112 42.11%
Voters: 266. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 01:31 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times

Advertisements

Terrible, 6 homicides in one night.

NBA player's brother among Tuesday's 6 homicide victims
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 02:06 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,514,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Yesterday was one of the worst day in years. It has been nearly 80 degrees the past two days. People are coming outside and doing messed up stuff in the hood. What are you guys trolling the internet for negative news now.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:01 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
San Diego is one of the safest cities in the US-kudos, but very different history/demographics from areas in cities like Philly/Chicago. But don't pretend to be concerned. This is an issue deeply personal to some of us, and PinetoVine did a great job outlining where work is being done and it's being addressed.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Yesterday was one of the worst day in years. It has been nearly 80 degrees the past two days. People are coming outside and doing messed up stuff in the hood. What are you guys trolling the internet for negative news now.
Not at all this was front page on yahoo news plus the connection to an nba player made it more newsy.

Old 03-09-2016, 11:43 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,213,400 times
Quote:
You must be a blast at parties.

A different slice of Philadlephia that you have been trying to portray over the past 40 pages.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7349/...7cfbcbbf_b.jpg
You seem obsessed with pointing out the comparitively tiny, dysfunctional, detrimental parts of the Philadlephia region .

So Lets bust out a random suburb of Philly. Doylestown PA ,Bucks County. Bucks County is 1 of about 12 suburban counties directly surrounding Philadlephia. Bucks County has a population of 650,000 and its annual homicide count can be counted on 1 hand.

http://www.discoverdoylestown.com/im.../xmas-2015.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...6778d68608.jpg

http://www.buckscounty.org/Sitefinit...ry/slide-2.jpg

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-10-2016 at 03:27 AM..

Old 03-09-2016, 11:52 PM

^^Just guessing those are not your photos? Especially the "future" skyline?
Doylestown doesnt look very diverse

Old 03-10-2016, 04:30 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,393,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Not all year, in fact this Winter was pretty mild except for the major storm we had, but I understand your preference. But today it's already warmer in Philly than it is San Diego!

I think Philly gets a bad rap for weather just for 2.5 Months of the year, which admittedly can be tiresome-but I am different than you in that I do like a little snow, Four distinct Seasons and the (first half) of Winter haha.
To each their own on weather preferences; however, from a San Diego/So.Calif perspective the east coast climate is not just bad in winter, it is horrible in summer too.

I grew up in So.Calif. and lived for a few years in the NYC and DC areas. The common refrain I'd hear from locals was, "You are from So.Calif., you must hate our winters." To which I'd reply, "Actually, it is the summers I can't stand."

Old 03-10-2016, 06:42 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
To each their own on weather preferences; however, from a San Diego/So.Calif perspective the east coast climate is not just bad in winter, it is horrible in summer too.

I grew up in So.Calif. and lived for a few years in the NYC and DC areas. The common refrain I'd hear from locals was, "You are from So.Calif., you must hate our winters." To which I'd reply, "Actually, it is the summers I can't stand."
Hah-that's funny. Yeah-to each their own, I love Summer here especially our warm nights. San Diego got so chilly at night-comparatively and the beach is great but good beach weather to me is not low 70's but mid 80's and even 90's, with water temp in the low 70's. Did you get your dose of nice weather in Spring and Fall at least?

Old 03-10-2016, 07:28 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,756,430 times
Quote:
^^Just guessing those are not your photos? Especially the "future" skyline?
Doylestown doesnt look very diverse
The buildings shown are either already there or are currently being constructed. It also left out at least one new high rise that exists right now. What's shown, in that down town picture, isn't fiction; it's true. All of it.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:47 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times
Quote:
Yet all of these homicides occurred in rough and rundown areas. That's the point, there are nice areas of the city and rundown areas of the city. Nobody is denying that. But to act like crime is an issue citywide is ridiculous.

I live in Center City and had no idea about any of these homicides until reading your post right now. Clearly crime has no affect on me and where I live.

All of these homicides occurred in North, West and Southwest Philadelphia. These are where the majority of the rough parts of the city are. Still, there are plenty of nice areas in Center City, North, West, South, Northwest, Northeast, and even Southwest.

No one is arguing that Philadelphia is safer than San Diego, but there are nice and rough areas in Philadelphia.

Even with a higher crime rate, Philadelphia is still the better city.

Philadelphia is more walkable, bigger, better public transit, better nightlife, better restaurants, better museums, theaters and cultural amenities, larger economy, better architecture, taller buildings, better universities, better primary schools (mainly suburbs but some city schools as well), better shopping (mainly suburbs), better location, more development currently, better suburbs, etc. etc. The list goes on and on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City