Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more desirable?
San Diego 154 57.89%
Philadelphia 112 42.11%
Voters: 266. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 11:40 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
San Diego Avg Lows:
June - 62
July - 65
August - 67
Sept - 65

Philly Avg Lows:
June - 64
July - 69
August - 68
Sept - 60

Yeah really big difference there with the lows during summer....
Probably has to do with the humidity in Philly-but then again I guess I wasn't in San Diego long enough, it could have just been the time I was there. There's no doubt that weather is one of San Diego's strong points, but I still think Philly gets an unfair bad rap on weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 01:06 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Maybe it's time, once again, for another re-posting of great Philly neighborhood pictures that you're so good at. Don't leave out the Wissahickon Valley.

Have at it, as long as they are his own pics...

This is an apples n oranges thread. People just happen to prefer oranges.....

Old 03-10-2016, 01:24 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
San Diego Avg Lows:
June - 62
July - 65
August - 67
Sept - 65

Philly Avg Lows:
June - 64
July - 69
August - 68
Sept - 60

this doesn't factor humidity, 68 and high humidity is warm in many ways

to someone earlier that said the summers are worse then the winters for the NE or Philly, I for one generally would agree. Summer feels more extreme than does winter most years. Spring (today actually is amazing 82 degrees right now in Philly, but wont last though spring is coming)and fall are amazing. Winter and summer can have some nasty days all in all Philly is really not that bad weather wise, SD is even better and not many places in the US in that regard actually

Summer high 90s and high humidity and hazy can be pretty nasty a few days of wind and 12 degrees are not fun either but they are not the norm really, more HHH summer days generally IMHO

I like both places a lot

Old 03-10-2016, 01:32 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
this doesn't factor humidity, 68 and high humidity is warm in many ways

to someone earlier that said the summers are worse then the winters for the NE or Philly, I for one generally would agree. Summer feels more extreme than does winter most years. Spring (today actually is amazing 82 degrees right now in Philly, but wont last though spring is coming)and fall are amazing. Winter and summer can have some nasty days all in all Philly is really not that bad weather wise, SD is even better and not many places in the US in that regard actually

Summer high 90s and high humidity and hazy can be pretty nasty a few days of wind and 12 degrees are not fun either but they are not the norm really, more HHH summer days generally IMHO

I like both places a lot
At those temps humidity isn't exactly a big factor which is why you don't see a heat index at that temperature level.

Old 03-10-2016, 01:37 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
At those temps humidity isn't exactly a big factor which is why you don't see a heat index at that temperature level.

it does a little also it seems closer to coast in SD with off shore breezes it can feel chillier at those temps; that said 65 and cool breeze is just about perfect for me in the evening so I would not complain

Old 03-10-2016, 02:07 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
it does a little also it seems closer to coast in SD with off shore breezes it can feel chillier at those temps; that said 65 and cool breeze is just about perfect for me in the evening so I would not complain
You don't see off shore breezes during summer in SD except in Sept. And if you do it will actually pull in tropical monsoonal moisture from the Gulf of CA and push temps and humidity even higher than those temps.

Old 03-10-2016, 08:39 PM

193 posts, read 204,170 times
I can't think of two cities that are more unlike than San Diego and Philadelphia, so to ask which is "better" or "more desirable" seems ridiculous to me. It's a matter of personal preference--if you like a less dense, newer, warm winter, coastal city then San Diego seems the logical choice. If you prefer a dense, historic, architecturally rich and walkable city with four distinct seasons, you'll go with Philly. I prefer what Philadelphia has to offer, so to me Philly is "better" and "more desirable" than SD, but obviously the San Diegans who've posted in this thread think the opposite. Fine--to each his own I just think we're all lucky to live in a country that offers such diversity and where we are free to live where we choose.

This debate reminds me of one I had with my physician years ago when I lived in Fort Lauderdale. When I mentioned to him that I had decided to move to Philadelphia for quality-of-life reasons, he looked at me like I was crazy and proceeded to cite all the negative stereotypes about Philadelphia, many of which I've seen in this thread. I told him I wanted to live in the heart of Philadelphia to be near all of the great attractions this city has to offer and to be rid of my automobile once and for all. I wasn't sure it would work out as I hoped, but it has. I've lived in Philly for fourteen years now and I love it here. And from what I've read in this thread, many San Diegans seem to love their city just as much. So like I said, to each his own.

Old 03-10-2016, 08:57 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,208,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTinPhilly View Post
the San Diegans who've posted in this thread think the opposite. Fine--to each his own
I like to refer to them as SAPS(Sandiegans Against Philadelphia Syndicate).

Try posting a positive quality about Philadlephia. Then watch them come out of the woodwork.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:55 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTinPhilly View Post
This debate reminds me of one I had with my physician years ago when I lived in Fort Lauderdale. When I mentioned to him that I had decided to move to Philadelphia for quality-of-life reasons, he looked at me like I was crazy and proceeded to cite all the negative stereotypes about Philadelphia, many of which I've seen in this thread. I told him I wanted to live in the heart of Philadelphia to be near all of the great attractions this city has to offer and to be rid of my automobile once and for all. I wasn't sure it would work out as I hoped, but it has. I've lived in Philly for fourteen years now and I love it here.
Lol - my experience with a twist. I retired to Philly from Houston about 5 years ago. When coworkers my age started planning retirement, we use to share our plans. Places like Pugent Sound, Denver, Tennessee and the Carolinas were popular locales. When friends asked where my DH and I were retiring, I of course replied Philly. Then it became interesting because I'd get 2 nearly predictable responses:

1. The first group took on puzzled looks as iif they misheard me. Then followed the predictable stereotypes of Philly.

2. The 2nd response was interesting. My company partnered with Wharton for our leadership development program, sending the "up and comers" to programs for extended stays in Philly. The general response from those folks can be summed up as "Wow - you're going to a great city!"

The dense gritty cities of the northeast are not everyone's cup of tea. But neither is laid back SoCal. Given this poll currently shows 45% prefer Philly, I would guess that most of those respondents, like the second group of coworkers I referred to above, are working with first hand experience rather than relying on 2nd hand stereotypes.

Like you with your 14 years in the city, we couldn't be happier well into our 6th year in CC.

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 03-11-2016 at 08:13 AM.. Reason: Typos

Old 03-11-2016, 08:39 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
Quote:
San Diego Avg Lows:
June - 62
July - 65
August - 67
Sept - 65

Philly Avg Lows:
June - 64
July - 69
August - 68
Sept - 60

This is a very incomplete picture. When the temp is 87 degrees and humid all day, it takes almost all night to reach those lows. For example, you might get two hours (5am - 7am) of 67 degrees with humidity because the day hit the high 80s. So, while the average low temps aren't too far off from one another, San Diego is going to cool off much quicker from the day. And humidity, even in the high 60s is a factor, especially when the city still has absorbed that heat. For those of us living in the dense parts of Philly, the city is a serious heat island. A city row house soaks up the day time heat and never loses it during the night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City