Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city in the Midwest has the best dining outside of Chicago?
Minneapolis 28 23.73%
St. Louis 24 20.34%
Cleveland 23 19.49%
Detroit 8 6.78%
Milwaukee 8 6.78%
Cincinnati 4 3.39%
Kansas City 15 12.71%
Indianapolis 4 3.39%
Des Moines 2 1.69%
Columbus 1 0.85%
Omaha 1 0.85%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 01:27 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I've heard of Jets here in Cleveland, and heard great things about it! Is this Detroit-style?
Idk about getting down to extreme detail but at a first glance yeah. It's the square shape deep dish pizza.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 04:37 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,161,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
Zomg. Must have. Looks delicious. I had Chicago Deep Dish, but found it a tad too much. This sounds perfect tho. I wonder if they're are any Detroit style pizza spots in LA?

On a different note, what is this "middle eastern/Mediterranean " food in Detroit? I mean, specifically...the Middle East is a broad region, and I would say that LA'S Middle Eastern cuisine is strongly represented by Iranians/Persians, Armenians (I'm a big fan of Armenians style pizza!), Lebanese (my favorite) and to a smaller extent, Israelis. Down here in Anaheim (south of LA), is largely Palestinian. What are we talking about in terms of Detroit?
The Middle Eastern people here are mostly from Iraq and Lebanon and Yemen.

Also, downtown Detroit used to have a neighborhood called Greektown. All of the Greeks left, but there is a 1-block section of the district where about 4 or 5 old-style Greek restaurants still remain. They offer food like the flaming cheese, saganaki.

We have these greasy spoon restaurants all around the area called Coney Islands, which offer both standard American greasy food and Greek-inspired food like gyros, greek salads, and moustaka. That's why I say we have "Mediterranean" because Greece and a lot of the Middle East is next to the Mediterranean Sea.

For the Middle-Eastern food - The Shawarma is really big here. Most of the Middle East restaurants have food like falafel, tawook, fatoush, tabouli, kabobs, etc.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:36 AM

3,814 posts, read 4,011,395 times
People from the Minneapolis forum flooding City v City to upvote Minneapolis. LOL

While it is a lesser cuisine city, their posters do have civic pride. I'll give them that.

Cleveland has the best deli's and ethnic white food outside of the east coast/Chicago. And great soul food.

Detroit has the best Halal, Pizza, and soul food outside of Chicago.

Outside of Asian food and I guess Somali, Minneapolis does not really do not seem to have any stand out cuisine, IMO.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:47 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
If Louisville could be considered Midwestern, it would win the poll. Otherwise, it's between Cleveland & St Louis (I chose CLE).

Old 02-22-2016, 05:04 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,658,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
If Louisville could be considered Midwestern, it would win the poll. Otherwise, it's between Cleveland & St Louis (I chose CLE).
Haha, good one.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:53 AM

3,415 posts, read 5,127,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
Haha, good one.
Louisville wins at everything!!!!

Old 02-22-2016, 08:08 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Louisville wins at everything!!!!
Here I think we all agree.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:14 AM

32 posts, read 26,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
People from the Minneapolis forum flooding City v City to upvote Minneapolis. LOL
I voted for Minneapolis.

The foodie scene in Minneapolis is the most similar to the foodie scene back in California compared to other midwestern cities. A lot of emphasis an organic and locally grown produce, innovative gastro-chic restaurants, a great craft beer scene, and a better variety of asian food (besides Chicago*).

**Detroit can be added here if you include Windsor, Canada. A very nebulous addition considering you need a passport to cross the border.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:34 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,192,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post

While it is a lesser cuisine city, their posters do have civic pride. I'll give them that.

Cleveland has the best deli's and ethnic white food outside of the east coast/Chicago. And great soul food.

Detroit has the best Halal, Pizza, and soul food outside of Chicago.

Outside of Asian food and I guess Somali, Minneapolis does not really do not seem to have any stand out cuisine, IMO.
It's probably a conspiracy to make you look ignorant!

Old 02-22-2016, 06:49 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,011,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX2MIA4 View Post
I voted for Minneapolis.

The foodie scene in Minneapolis is the most similar to the foodie scene back in California compared to other midwestern cities. A lot of emphasis an organic and locally grown produce, innovative gastro-chic restaurants, a great craft beer scene, and a better variety of asian food (besides Chicago*).

**Detroit can be added here if you include Windsor, Canada. A very nebulous addition considering you need a passport to cross the border.
Well since you are no longer a member of city data, I can only imagine you used several of your accounts to up vote Minneapolis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City