Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 09:42 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
I think it's worth distinguishing between traditional Natural History Museums and hands on science museums. Cleveland has both (though I wouldn't list either one at the top in the country). I assumed we were talking about the more hands-on kind.
So does Philadelphia: Academy of Natural History( managed by Drexel University) and the Franklin Institute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 12:29 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
So does Philadelphia: Academy of Natural History( managed by Drexel University) and the Franklin Institute.

There is also the Please Touch Museum which is very hands on and geared at even younger children with a science hands on theme geared at children 8 and under I believe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdvrUqmXwCM#t=27

Old 02-19-2016, 12:52 PM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
There is also the Please Touch Museum which is very hands on and geared at even younger children with a science hands on theme geared at children 8 and under I believe

We actually took my girlfriend's 2.5 and 3.5 year old there on the drive back from DC last year. In DC, we did the National Zoo, Air and Space, and Natural History museums. They enjoyed Please Touch more than the others. It's a great spot for little kids.

As for MoS Boston, I have a lot of respect for it and I enjoy visiting, but it needs major updating. It feels stagnant and dated. It hasn't changed much since I was a kid. I hope it sees some investment soon.

Old 02-19-2016, 01:02 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
We actually took my girlfriend's 2.5 and 3.5 year old there on the drive back from DC last year. In DC, we did the National Zoo, Air and Space, and Natural History museums. They enjoyed Please Touch more than the others. It's a great spot for little kids.

As for MoS Boston, I have a lot of respect for it and I enjoy visiting, but it needs major updating. It feels stagnant and dated. It hasn't changed much since I was a kid. I hope it sees some investment soon.

well maybe the most age appropriate of the bunch

I hear you on the redoing Franklin Inst. in Philly seemed to stay stagnant for a while then had a lot of redos. Sometimes is bout the cycle of the museum and ones better today may feel more dated a decade from now, this probably ebbs and flows as to the best ones in this regard from time to time

Since you were there, a fun fact is the museum sits in memorial hall which was the main building for the centennial worlds fair in 1876. In the entry lobby (and a grand building in and of itself) is a replica of the arm and torch of the Statue of Liberty - this arm and torch was first housed in Philadelphia during the centennial worlds fair to be moved to NYC (Jersey) with the completion of the Statue of Liberty

http://l7.alamy.com/zooms/695eb9d9d6...hia-d2nc41.jpg

Old 02-20-2016, 08:10 AM

Quote:

I rode that Monorail when it was in the old Wanamaker's dept. store!

Old 02-20-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:
well maybe the most age appropriate of the bunch

I hear you on the redoing Franklin Inst. in Philly seemed to stay stagnant for a while then had a lot of redos. Sometimes is bout the cycle of the museum and ones better today may feel more dated a decade from now, this probably ebbs and flows as to the best ones in this regard from time to time

Since you were there, a fun fact is the museum sits in memorial hall which was the main building for the centennial worlds fair in 1876. In the entry lobby (and a grand building in and of itself) is a replica of the arm and torch of the Statue of Liberty - this arm and torch was first housed in Philadelphia during the centennial worlds fair to be moved to NYC (Jersey) with the completion of the Statue of Liberty

http://l7.alamy.com/zooms/695eb9d9d6...hia-d2nc41.jpg
Memorial Hall, also housed, I believe, the city's art collection before the PMA(Philadelphia Museum of Art) was built.

Old 02-20-2016, 01:05 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,108,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
San Francisco's California Institute of Science is my favorite from the ones I've been to. Not just favorite but I'd say probably one of the absolute best ones. A pet peeve of mine is to go to art and science museums (also Holocaust museums) if the city has it when I am there.

Love San Francisco's though, always so crowded but the planetarium is awesome.
Do you mean the Academy of Sciences in SF? I love that place, it is what I recommend to visitors along with the Alcatraz night tour and a Giants game for some touristy activities that I actually enjoy as a resident.

Similar to what another poster said, I thought this thread was more about the hands on science facilities as opposed to most natural history musuems (the California Academy of Sciences in SF is both). The Exploratorium in SF is a fantastic hands on lab (although, I haven't been since it moved from the Palace of Fine Arts in 2013).

Old 02-25-2016, 01:36 AM

60 posts, read 133,446 times
Check out the Perot Museum of Science in Dallas! It's amazing! Opened in 2013ish.

Old 02-25-2016, 05:37 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Chicago and St Louis seem to be two of the best I have been to.

Old 02-25-2016, 04:56 PM

1,844 posts, read 3,937,716 times
I went to Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry once when visiting Chicago in 1956. It was mind boggling and an experience I will never forget. It even had a Foucault pendulum! And I loved the smaller exhibits and experiments, which were fascinating and easy for even an 8-year-old like me to understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City