Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city does Baltimore have more in common with: D.C. or Philadelphia?
Philadelphia 64 77.11%
Washington, D.C. 19 22.89%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 07:09 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,138,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post
Indeed, with Philly being but a two hours' drive from Baltimore and a little less from NYC, you have the opportunity to visit two completely different cities with ease. This cannot be done in many places.
I actually live in northern Delaware, not Philadelphia. So I get the "spillover" from both sides, if you will. But I understand the sentiment--thanks! I do feel quite blessed to have so many amazing cities within spitting distance of me--and I don't even have to drive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 07:44 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,044,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
I actually live in northern Delaware, not Philadelphia. So I get the "spillover" from both sides, if you will. But I understand the sentiment--thanks! I do feel quite blessed to have so many amazing cities within spitting distance of me--and I don't even have to drive
I would assume that there is more Philly influence there. Would I be correct in doing so?

Old 02-25-2016, 08:04 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,838,373 times
Quote:
Indeed, with Philly being but a two hours' drive from Baltimore and a little less from NYC, you have the opportunity to visit two completely different cities with ease. This cannot be done in many places.
Baltimore and Philadelphia are similar not different.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:23 PM

Quote:
I would assume that there is more Philly influence there. Would I be correct in doing so?
Yes, you would be. As I mentioned in my previous post, this is Philly country. We don't have any T.V. news channels of our own, as the Philly stations report our weather/news. They put up Eagles billboards in my neighborhood, and that's the majority of fans. The 76ers have a developmental team here (87ers). It is free and quick on a good day (25 min for me) to drive to Philly city limits. We are also linked by commuter rail (SEPTA) directly to Philly. Delaware as a state is probably majority transplants, and out of that, the first tier of transplants is from PA/NJ, then MD (Baltimore)/NYC, then DC/VA.

I've mentioned the notable Baltimore connections already, but we're not as close to them. There are at least 2 tolls going south on 95 in that direction. We don't receive their T.V. or radio stations (if I go further south on a good day, I can sometimes pick up 92Q). Our accent is Philly lite (ask someone to say 'Acme' and you'll hear it). We don't do that thing with our o's like Baltimore does. And there's no commuter rail connection to the Bmore MSA (though it's picking up steam, due to the interconnectivity between New Castle and Cecil counties).

Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Baltimore and Philadelphia are similar not different.
The truth is somewhere in the middle, honestly. I personally find NYC and Philly more similar, but Baltimore is definitely there. And Baltimore actually reminds me more of the Hampton Roads area more than D.C. or Philly in many respects (prominent water culture, strong AA culture with weird accents, military presence with FT Meade/Annapolis and D.C. spillover, etc). I'd personally say Baltimore has the Philly aesthetic (row houses), the D.C. white collar/inner city dichotomy, and the 757's strong AA/water culture. But of course, Baltimore is Baltimore, as Philadelphia is Philadelphia.

Last edited by qworldorder; 02-25-2016 at 08:39 PM..

Old 02-25-2016, 08:26 PM

10,071 posts, read 9,841,047 times
Quote:
This is purely a light hearted, tongue in cheek question, but how fast are you driving if it takes two hours to get from Philly to Baltimore? I've gotten from Target in South Philly to the Baltimore beltway in an hour. Now that I think about it, how fast was I driving.. Lol

Old 02-25-2016, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Yes, you would be. As I mentioned in my previous post, this is Philly country. We don't have any tv news channels of our own, as the Philly stations report our weather/news. They put up Eagles billboards in my neighborhood, and that's the majority of fans. The 76ers have a developmental team here (87ers). It is free and quick on a good day (25 min for me) to drive to Philly city limits. We are also linked by commuter rail (SEPTA) directly to Philly. Delaware as a state is probably majority transplants, and out of that, the first tier is PA/NJ, then MD (Baltimore)/NYC, then DC/VA.

I've mentioned the notable Baltimore connection already, but we're not as close to them. There are at least 2 tolls going south on 95 in that direction. We don't receive their tv or radio stations (if I go further south on a good day, I can pick up 92Q). Our accent is Philly lite (ask someone to say 'Acme' and you'll hear it). And there's no commuter rail connection to the Bmore MSA (though it's picking up steam).

The truth is somewhere in the middle, honestly. I personally find NYC and Philly more similar, but Baltimore is definitely there. And Baltimore actually reminds me more of the Hampton Roads area more than D.C. or Philly in many respects (prominent water culture, strong AA culture with weird accents, military presence with FT Meade and D.C. spillover, etc). I'd personally say Baltimore has the Philly aesthetic (row houses), the D.C. white collar/inner city dichotomy, and the 757's strong AA/water culture. But of course, Baltimore is Baltimore, as Philadelphia is Philadelphia.
Sorry but Baltimore is culturally linguistically and politically more like Philly than the Hampton Roads. Reality check.

Old 02-25-2016, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Sorry but Baltimore is culturally linguistically and politically more like Philly than the Hampton Roads. Reality check.
Reality check? Have you been to any of these cities? I have, and I gave my personal reasoning for my opinion. Last I checked, Philadelphia, Baltimore, DC, Richmond, and Hampton Roads are all a part of the Mid-Atlantic--there are visible/cultural similarities between all the cities in the region, with Philly as the northern terminus, and the 757 as the southern terminus (imo). It's a gradual gradient. Linguistically, the Baltimore accent sounds nothing like the Philadelphia accent. Have you ever heard them pronounce a word like "do" or "two"? "Murrland"? Not even close, no matter what nerd map you pull up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8zavPW3Bus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xAaknXZBy4

Old 02-25-2016, 09:12 PM

10,071 posts, read 9,841,047 times
Quote:
Reality check? Have you been to any of these cities? I have, and I gave my personal reasoning for my opinion. Last I checked, Philadelphia, Baltimore, DC, Richmond, and Hampton Roads are all a part of the Mid-Atlantic--there are visible/cultural similarities between all the cities in the region, with Philly as the northern terminus, and the 757 as the southern terminus (imo). It's a gradual gradient. Linguistically, the Baltimore accent sounds nothing like the Philadelphia accent. Have you ever heard them pronounce a word like "do" or "two"? "Murrland"? Not even close, no matter what nerd map you pull up.

I'll say that I've rarely heard an accent as heavy as Snoop's. I have a hard time understand what the hell she was saying and I'm from Baltimore. That 2nd video is a parody. I had a Northeast Baltimore accent which is light compared to other areas of the city.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:20 PM

Quote:

I haven't been to Philly I've been to Baltimore and I've been to DC. I'm sorry but just google dialect maps and you will see that Baltimore and Philly are grouped apart from the Hampton Roads area and are grouped together...also google Southern dialect maps and you'll see almost always that Baltimore is almost always placed north of the line and Richmond and Hampton Roads well to the south of it. I don't need to show you a map it's all over google but I will anyway. This was a professional study done by the University of Pennsylvania. This qualifies a lot more than your youtube videos, which don't sample the white people living there. And I'm sorry they do sound alike...it's backed up by both maps I'm posting. if they don't sound alike, why do so many dialect maps place them together in the same region? I've made my point here I'm done. If you don't want to agree with the maps that's your issue, not mine, and I'm not interested in ripping you apart either. Have a good day.

http://www.yorku.ca/earmstro/speech/...rn/NatMap1.gif

https://zigzagmags.files.wordpress.c...andialects.png

Last edited by U146; 02-25-2016 at 10:39 PM..

Old 02-26-2016, 06:59 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,769,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I guess the question is when do you ever see Philadelphians pressed to be associated with Baltimore. It's not an association that's particularly welcome.

Baltimore, on the other hand, seeks greater association with Philadelphia because it doesn't want to be perceived as Southern. Call Baltimore southern and the first thing you will hear is "Baltimore can't be Southern because it's just like Philly."
^This
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City