Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city does Baltimore have more in common with: D.C. or Philadelphia?
Philadelphia 64 77.11%
Washington, D.C. 19 22.89%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 05:24 PM

830 posts, read 1,017,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
White Baltimoreans don't have a Southern accent. Linguistics maps prove Baltimore and Philly talk in the same accent.
"Prove" is a strong word. Evidence shows that they are absolutely similar but not the same. In this part of the country, as with the cities themselves, nothing is in absolutes because there are many overlapping influences.

In this case, Baltimore exhibits physical characteristics of Philly that correspond to being key American ports of entry, industry and urban density during a particular era. Baltimore and DC also share an entirely different layer of history/culture that doesn't really have anything to do with Philly just as Philly and NY have a history/culture identity that has its own parallels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 07:06 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,054,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
White Baltimoreans don't have a Southern accent. Linguistics maps prove Baltimore and Philly talk in the same accent.
Dew as you dew: Baltimore Accent and The Wire | Word. The Online Journal on African American English

1. Watch the last video, please.
2. I said "IZED".
3. Please strengthen your reading comprehension.
4. White Baltimoreans don't say "mi-en (mitten)", " bettah", "tawk", "fahrrist (forest)", or "Beggels (bagels)".
5. They do say "maund (mind)", " hayouse (house)" and "Holluntown" (Highlandtown).
6. They don't eat "hoagies" nor do they know what "mischief night" is or what the "L" is.

Old 02-20-2016, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
"Prove" is a strong word. Evidence shows that they are absolutely similar but not the same. In this part of the country, as with the cities themselves, nothing is in absolutes because there are many overlapping influences.

In this case, Baltimore exhibits physical characteristics of Philly that correspond to being key American ports of entry, industry and urban density during a particular era. Baltimore and DC also share an entirely different layer of history/culture that doesn't really have anything to do with Philly just as Philly and NY have a history/culture identity that has its own parallels.
Thank you for this level-headed post.

Old 02-20-2016, 07:21 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post
Difficult: like U146 said, Demographically DC and Balt are more similar, though Balt (I don't consider this city to be rust-belt) and Philly (not sure if it's rust belt) both have similar urban decay at present (DC once did). Interestingly, the Baltimore "white" accent is like a southerners l southernized "white" Philly accent, while the "blaccents" of Balt and DC sound similar.

Another thing to consider is the two centuries of southern history that Balt and DC have, which Philadelphia lacks.

The densities of DC and Philly aren't too far apart and are nothing like Baltimore (which has "suburban" neighborhoods that can be very well within city limits), which gives it a different feel from the other two cities and like neither of them.
1. The "white" Baltimore accent isn't southern. Definitely unique, and had a very blue collar, port city sound, but not southern.

2. The "Black" Baltimore and DC accent are nothing alike.Even an untrained ear can easily spot the difference between the two accents. The Baltimore accent very unique and like no other city on the planet. DC's accent sounds like a mash up of Boston and NC.

3. Baltimore is no more "suburban" than either of the other two cities. Name a suburban neighborhood well within Baltimore city limits... Don't worry, I'll wait.

4. Baltimore is quite a bit older than DC, so there is some history that DC wasn't even around for. And their histories aren't that similar at all. A city built to house the Federal Government vs a port city and immigration hub.

Old 02-20-2016, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
1. The "white" Baltimore accent isn't southern. Definitely unique, and had a very blue collar, port city sound, but not southern.

2. The "Black" Baltimore and DC accent are nothing alike.Even an untrained ear can easily spot the difference between the two accents. The Baltimore accent very unique and like no other city on the planet. DC's accent sounds like a mash up of Boston and NC.

3. Baltimore is no more "suburban" than either of the other two cities. Name a suburban neighborhood well within Baltimore city limits... Don't worry, I'll wait.

4. Baltimore is quite a bit older than DC, so there is some history that DC wasn't even around for. And their histories aren't that similar at all. A city built to house the Federal Government vs a port city and immigration hub.
I quoted because outsiders think those areas are in the county. Somebody in the Baltimore forum asked how long the commute was from Ednor Gardens to the city. I coughs name dozens; I grew up in one myself.

-Ashburton
-Roland Park
-Tuscany-Canterbury
-Northwood
-Woodbourne Heights
-Garwyn Oaks
-Windsor Hills
-Cheswolde
-Lauraville
-Hamilton
-Ten Hills
-Gardenville
-Cedonia
-Overlea
-Ednor Gardens
-Arcadia
-Belair-Parkside

off the top of my head.
These places aren't suburbs to me, but are to people from other places. Most of these areas are in northern Baltimore, beyond 33rd street (unless you're at the edges of East and West Baltimore). The large areas like this allow there to be a nearly 4000K/sq.mi. density difference between Baltimore and Philadelphia.

Have you ever lived in Baltimore City?

When I said "history," I was referring to their southern-ness. You are correct in that Baltimore and Philadelphia have industrial pasts.

DC and Balt accents:
-Murrland
-Fahv (five) even among younger generations unless you have a light accent.
-Both site l sound like off southern accents.

I have been talking about the difference between 'similar' and 'same' the whole time. Of course one can distinguish them, but like Bmore and Philly's white accents, Bmore and DC's black accents are best grouped with each other than with other places. Thus makes sense, considering that the black people in both cities have influence from North Carolina and are living in a place where the whites have a different accent that is still fully (DC) or borderline (Baltimore) southern accents.

I'm not the one calling the Baltimore accent southern.

http://baltimorestyle.com/1407/fe_bo....8OJGZ7qw.dpuf

"When I moved to Bolton Hill from Cincinnati in 1951, there was a thick Southern accent here,” says Shivers, the 80-year-old local historian, who still lives there. “It had its own culture and you had to get used to it. The main reason to meet people was to find out where they came from. They were very interested in one’s background and if there was any Southern heritage to it. If you measured up, you were fine."

Last edited by ialmostforgot; 02-20-2016 at 09:12 PM..

Old 02-20-2016, 09:09 PM

173 posts, read 198,560 times
I would definitely go with Philadelphia. I associate Baltimore and Philadelpha together because of their northeast big-city layout, somewhat similar demographics, and rich history that goes back well before 1900. Baltimore and DC, on the other hand, are built differently and seem culturally different as well.

Quote:
Some people in this site lump Baltimore and DC together (I personally hate that people do that), but doing that, will invariably distort people's perception since Baltimore and DC aren't really anything alike.
I've done that, but when I do, it has more to do with their geographic proximity and the way they, to some degree, function as one metropolitan area.

Old 02-20-2016, 09:12 PM

20,513 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:

Have come to the same conclusion the past few years. Or I should say, I can tell the differences myself instead of saying they sound nothing alike.

Old 02-20-2016, 10:41 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Quote:
Dew as you dew: Baltimore Accent and The Wire | Word. The Online Journal on African American English

2. I said "IZED".
4. White Baltimoreans don't say "mi-en (mitten)", " bettah", "tawk", "fahrrist (forest)", or "Beggels (bagels)".
5. They do say "maund (mind)", " hayouse (house)" and "Holluntown" (Highlandtown).
6. They don't eat "hoagies" nor do they know what "mischief night" is or what the "L" is.
We know what mischief night is....
You don't seem to know much about Baltimore, I'm noticing.

Last edited by KodeBlue; 02-21-2016 at 12:11 AM..

Old 02-20-2016, 10:54 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,840 times
There seems to be more of a relationship between DC and Richmond, while Baltimore and Philly are arguably more similar. At the same time, Baltimore still has some southern traits if you glance at history that Philly lacks. However, in this day and age, I guess Baltimore and Philly are more similar. DC isn't quite as gritty and blue-collar, too.

Old 02-20-2016, 11:45 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,857,521 times
Quote:

2. I said "IZED".
Sorry, but the University of Pennsylvania dialect maps group Baltimore in with Philly, not with the South. If you think you have such a strong case and are smarter than these people than tell them they're wrong and change the map.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City