Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better
Jacksonville 21 43.75%
Omaha 27 56.25%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 08:36 AM

2 posts, read 2,602 times

Advertisements

Where would you rather be? Based on quality of life, things to do, and places to see
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 10:38 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Yet another thread comparing Jax to a city I've never been to. But I feel fairly confident in picking Jax on an objective level. I've looked into Omaha a decent amount as it's intrigued me for a long time (though I've tried often, I just haven't had a good opportunity to visit) and it also is an area that might be very good for one of my businesses, and ultimately through my research I would imagine it is lacking in a handful of the amenities I enjoy in Jax. For its size, it seems to offer a lot, especially in regards to the economy, but culture, weather, and sports leave it on a different tier than Jax. And for me personally it also skews a bit too white and also a bit underrepresented by Asians.

Old 02-19-2016, 03:20 PM

561 posts, read 514,687 times
I've never been to Jacksonville, so I can't speak to that city in comparison to Omaha- but I will say this..

I live in Omaha. This city and metro is a melting pot. For those that expect "sameness" as it relates to people and culture, would be very, VERY wrong.. The Omaha metro is home to more than 70,000 African Americans.. Over 100,000 of Latino decent. Nearly 40,000 Italians, 3 Greek Orthodox churches (my heritage is Italian/Greek 50/50) and the list goes on and on. For a metro of nearly 1 million, Omaha is a snapshot of the United States in diversity..

So I guess when I read a comment that Omaha my be "too white" I cringe quite a bit. There are people of color and multiple ethnic heritage all over the city..

As a side note- don't believe what the national media tells you- the Reuben sandwich is an Omaha original..and you have not lived until you eat a meal at an authentic Omaha Italian Steakhouse ..

Peace...

Old 02-19-2016, 04:49 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,185,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Joe Young View Post

As a side note- don't believe what the national media tells you- the Reuben sandwich is an Omaha original..and you have not lived until you eat a meal at an authentic Omaha Italian Steakhouse ..

Peace...
The ones where you get spaghetti on the side?

Old 02-19-2016, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
The ones where you get spaghetti on the side?

You've had the experience (or sometimes mostaccioli).. Exactly my friend ..

Peace...

Old 02-19-2016, 07:37 PM

Quote:
This city and metro is a melting pot. For those that expect "sameness" as it relates to people and culture, would be very, VERY wrong.. The Omaha metro is home to more than 70,000 African Americans.. Over 100,000 of Latino decent. Nearly 40,000 Italians, 3 Greek Orthodox churches (my heritage is Italian/Greek 50/50) and the list goes on and on. For a metro of nearly 1 million, Omaha is a snapshot of the United States in diversity..
I'm glad you shared this! It is an easy misconception to have as the Omaha "brand" in my experience doesn't project that melting pot image.

Quote:
So I guess when I read a comment that Omaha my be "too white" I cringe quite a bit. There are people of color and multiple ethnic heritage all over the city..
Sorry to make you cringe. I see why my words present a poor connotation that you would want to amend. I was speaking for my personal preference, and my ideal would actually be more along the lines of 40% non-hispanic white, and a fairly equal distribution of "minority" races amongst the remaining population segment. I'd also like lots of ethnicities represented across all the races. Obviously, Jacksonville doesn't match this ideal either, but you can see why I labeled Omaha as "a bit too white for me personally."

Old 02-19-2016, 08:09 PM

I appreciate your responses very much projectmaximus..

Much appreciated! No apology necessary at all ..

Peace...

Old 02-20-2016, 11:25 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,702,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcskylinelover View Post
Omaha would surprise the crap out of a lot of people that haven't been there before.
One of the best zoos in the country. A vibrant downtown and riverfront.
A streetcar system is being planned. A clean, safe downtown and growing midtown area.
There's lots of local pride in the corporations there.
And the people are warm, unpretentious, friendly, helpful and educated.
There's much more to Omaha than most imagine.

But the weather is too cold for me.
I notice this is the general consensus of people who've visited Omaha. A girl in one of my classes just last week was raving about how surprisingly beautiful the city is. I've never been, but I seriously considered a move to the area last year. I did a lot of research and it looks so good on Google Maps. It definitely seems like an underrated city with a lot to offer.

Old 02-21-2016, 07:10 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I notice this is the general consensus of people who've visited Omaha. A girl in one of my classes just last week was raving about how surprisingly beautiful the city is. I've never been, but I seriously considered a move to the area last year. I did a lot of research and it looks so good on Google Maps. It definitely seems like an underrated city with a lot to offer.
You can say that about a TON of midsized cities. Omaha, being relatively isolated, has more amenities than your typical under 1 million metro. There is a lot more urbanity in Omaha versus a similar sized peer of Knoxville, for example. That might explain how it is polling pretty close with a substantially larger sunbelt metro. Omaha actually offers more for an urbanist...but the growth, the warmth, the beach, and things like the Jaguars put Jax a notch above. Riverside/Avondale are about the closest Jax has to an urban part of Omaha.

Old 02-21-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Riverside/Avondale are about the closest Jax has to an urban part of Omaha.
Brooklyn may have just eclipsed it. Within the next few years definitely will. Only downside is that it's not historic. Well, technically Brooklyn was very historic but it's been totally razed, so none of that history is still around. Everything is brand new, shiny, and is now the nouveau-walkable-urban area in Jax.

Also the folks in Neptune Beach and northern Jax Beach would probably argue that they never have to drive anywhere either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City