Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can cities like Houston and San Diego become urban like the Northeast just by wanting to?
Yes, it's absolutely feasible, all they have to do is want it 36 26.47%
No, that is not realistically feasible, not without really drastic measures 100 73.53%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 07:00 AM

375 posts, read 332,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I think to look at Houston a great comparison with the city would be Istanbul. I don't know if it is to make the city Earthquake proof but most people in urban Turkey live in Apartments, like houses are like a needle in a haystack it seems.
In what way exactly? Istanbul is a mega city, Houston is not. Istanbul is a historic city that is struggling with her population - narrow streets, not built for the automobile - whereas Houston is a 'modern' city with wide streets, suburban housing, and sprawls in every direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2017, 07:00 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
Houston, if I recall correctly, has no zoning rules. So in theory they could.
There are still building code regulations to consider as well as the economics of small-scale urbanism over a larger area. It's simply not feasible.

Old 12-18-2017, 10:16 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,406,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I think to look at Houston a great comparison with the city would be Istanbul. I don't know if it is to make the city Earthquake proof but most people in urban Turkey live in Apartments, like houses are like a needle in a haystack it seems.

Houston can never be this-
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.0362...7i13312!8i6656

Houston can be this though-
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.9941...7i13312!8i6656

Both are incredibly dense areas, in fact Istanbul is by far the densest metro I have ever been in as it has areas with 30,000 ppsm located 30 miles from the center of the city just because the way they build cities. (Next would likely be Lagos, London, Dubai, Birmingham, New York etcetera)

Now Houston would have to change a lot to actually think about restricting growth maybe at 40 miles (commute to Downtown) people will start infilling the various areas of the city that is basically empty).

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.9715...7i13312!8i6656
I don't see why Houston couldn't do this of course building codes would have to change or be modified to allow for higher density (instead of making it a carbon copy).

For example if it became that to live on Buffalo Bayou apartments with a parking garage below was necessary so people weren't flooded, Houston could gain huge density just by building like that to avoid flooding. Cities shouldn't build to just build tall buildings, they should build because it's efficient and necessary.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7520...7i13312!8i6656

This is personally one of my favorite spots in Houston, although density falls of pretty fast from this area.
Houston should try emulating Istanbul's urban character? Ha! Thanks for the laugh

Old 12-18-2017, 11:13 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,994,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Sure you can get that, but today it's literally illegal to build in the mold of the most historic, urban parts of Northeastern cities. Modern-day zoning and building code regulations will not allow it.
I believe that it was commented...that it would be impractical to try imitating the fine grained urbanism of those cities.

Let alone try to imitate European cities....and even less likely, an ancient city like Istanbul.

The point is to urbanize in a form that is feasible now. And, yes, where applicable alter the zoning.

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 12-18-2017 at 11:22 AM..

Old 12-18-2017, 12:00 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,303,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
Houston should try emulating Istanbul's urban character? Ha! Thanks for the laugh
It's always good to shoot for the stars. Plus, in all fairness, he did discriminate between the types of urbanity that would/wouldn't be possible in Houston.

Old 12-18-2017, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.I.0.N.I.C. View Post

Easy, you do the necessary makeovers, and you have yourself an urban city. For example, wide streets can be narrowed if you establish street level retail on the corridor; some lanes are removed from the street, while the sidewalks are extended to accommodate the new retail.
It occurred to me that you could add bike lanes. I would plan for both cycling and walking.

Old 12-18-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
It's always good to shoot for the stars. Plus, in all fairness, he did discriminate between the types of urbanity that would/wouldn't be possible in Houston.
I looked at an online map of downtown Houston. I am not familiar with Texas cities, but Houston appears to have streets laid out in a rectangular grid pattern-typical of U.S. cities. One advantage of such a grid is that it is relatively easy to fit in rectangular shaped buildings.

Old 12-18-2017, 08:11 PM

8,864 posts, read 6,869,333 times
Istanbul looks fantastic. I wish my city was more like both of those pictures.

Replicating the streets would be impossible, but most of the second picture is possible in the US today, in cities that don't require parking.

Old 12-18-2017, 10:34 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,303,345 times
Go to Instanbul to get your quick fill of BS!

Last edited by Texyn; 12-18-2017 at 11:52 PM..

Old 12-19-2017, 09:43 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Why does Houston need to be like San Diego?

I like San Diego of course, but Houston is doing just fine on the path its on. We dont need to try and emulate anyone. Cities need to be themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City