Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can cities like Houston and San Diego become urban like the Northeast just by wanting to?
Yes, it's absolutely feasible, all they have to do is want it 36 26.47%
No, that is not realistically feasible, not without really drastic measures 100 73.53%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 07:31 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,301,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Houston doesn't allow the classic types of urbanity. Everything seems to have a suburban amount of parking. They apparently require it.

New towers often have a driveway to the front door. That's something, but it's not urban.
Quote:
I'm referring to the City not allowing it, not people not wanting it. I bet not every townhouse resident wants a two-car garage for example. And not every Downtown or TMC resident has a car even at decent income levels.
Yeah, the city codes call for minimum parking in every development of the city. Only a small section of the city, including the downtown, is excluded from these laws:
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7527...7i13312!8i6656

Ironically, classic urban development in Houston would be much cheaper/easier to add than the car-centric builds the codes mandate; developers can design as they please, rather than having to take added costs redesigning their buildings to comply with the laws.

Last edited by Texyn; 12-22-2017 at 07:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2017, 07:54 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,993,613 times
I suspect that, without planning for urbanity, that LA/Miami style density is the default mode. The population may be growing, but the emphasis is on a car-centric non-urban lifestyle.

Old 12-23-2017, 09:45 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
I'm referring to the City not allowing it, not people not wanting it. I bet not every townhouse resident wants a two-car garage for example. And not every Downtown or TMC resident has a car even at decent income levels.
Yeah but most people do. People love cars and this includes people in urban areas.

Old 12-23-2017, 04:45 PM

403 posts, read 462,348 times
Quote:

New towers often have a driveway to the front door. That's something, but it's not urban.
Where did you see this?

Old 12-23-2017, 04:54 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,979,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
I suspect that, without planning for urbanity, that LA/Miami style density is the default mode. The population may be growing, but the emphasis is on a car-centric non-urban lifestyle.
I’m not familiar with Miami, but LA hardly got to this point “without planningâ€. It was planned to handle the current amount of people and then some. Butit was planned to be a modern city and that means planning for cars. The argument can be made that older cities aren’t the way that they are because they were planned to be walkable and “urban†but because they lack sufficient planning and infrastructure for more cars.

In any event I agree that Houston and San Diego already are like smaller versions of LA to some extent. But I doubt that the residents of either city want to become as congested as LA, much less Northeastern cities.

Old 12-23-2017, 08:28 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,856,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L View Post
Where did you see this?
It seems to be typical in the Galleria area and other suburban highrise clusters. There are even a some in the CBD proper, like a couple on Smith Street.

Old 12-23-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yeah but most people do. People love cars and this includes people in urban areas.
I'm not sure why you quoted my post. I said that "not every" person wants parking. I didn't say nobody wants parking.

Old 12-23-2017, 08:32 PM

403 posts, read 462,348 times
I’ve seen on ramps to parking garages but not the front door unless it’s a hotel.

Old 12-23-2017, 09:15 PM

If you'd like, I'll list 20 Houston highrises with driveways to the front door, and link to photos of each. That won't include hotels.

Old 12-23-2017, 09:44 PM

3,575 posts, read 3,075,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post

In any event I agree that Houston and San Diego already are like smaller versions of LA to some extent. But I doubt that the residents of either city want to become as congested as LA, much less Northeastern cities.
Houston has managed very well to become congested without the density of LA, let alone the Northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City