Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can cities like Houston and San Diego become urban like the Northeast just by wanting to?
Yes, it's absolutely feasible, all they have to do is want it 36 26.47%
No, that is not realistically feasible, not without really drastic measures 100 73.53%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 01:41 AM

3,814 posts, read 4,009,493 times

Advertisements

SD and urbanity go together like SD and economy. The answer is no. Just no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 06:13 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Yeah, I know the several skyhouses, Market sq. and 3 other residential towers downtown, thanks to the city's incentive, but it has a looong way to go. I was there in Oct. for my cousin's birthday in Montrose section of Houston. Checked out the whole city landscape. The density is only barely around 3,000 per sq. mile. Nope: it'll never be Philly or NY. San Diego got this one over Houston in terms of getting even remotely close the satisfied density of walkable city.
I see you also missed several of the mid rises as well downtown. The inner loop density is over 5,000 per sq mile and growing. It's just a start for that particular. The entirety of Houston with 599 sq miles will never be urban because everything outside the loop will always be suburban.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:45 AM

414 posts, read 508,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
SD and urbanity go together like SD and economy. The answer is no. Just no.
It's interesting that someone who knows so little about urban planning or future growth in San Diego can make such a definitive statement. It's as if San Diego's standing as one of the fastest growing cities in the Western World post-WWII means nothing. Or that San Diego's economy is the size of Rio de Janeiro's.

Biased and clueless. Time to end your whine tour.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:46 AM

414 posts, read 508,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I see you also missed several of the mid rises as well downtown. The inner loop density is over 5,000 per sq mile and growing. It's just a start for that particular. The entirety of Houston with 599 sq miles will never be urban because everything outside the loop will always be suburban.
Either way, the inner loop is more than able to become a massive core on its own.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:35 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
No; market forces work against it. It's not just about denser, more pedestrian-friendly development but the type of development. Older cities have lots of small-scale density that just isn't as economically feasible to build today.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:46 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I don't think it could compete with Chicago. But right now from my count, over 500,000 people live inside the loop. That density is above 5,000 ppsm. They could easily fit hundreds of thousands more. Could Houston support a Philadelphia type density number inside the loop? Yes, if they wanted to do it.
Forgive me, never been to Chicago. Although Houston does have good bones and the growth should be concentrated ITL.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:47 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,471,404 times
I don't think so, but in all honesty I don't really want cities like San Diego to become some infill of extreme density. The non urban aspect of San Diego is what makes San Diego so charming.
Side note: San Diego downtown is actually pretty impressive in my opinion and it doesn't get the recognition that it deserves.

In terms of other sun belt cities like Houston, Phoenix, Las Vegas, San Antonio,ect. no I don't think that they will ever be as urban and dense as the east coast either. Too many people move to these cities to get the suburban city experience.

Old 02-22-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
I don't think so, but in all honesty I don't really want cities like San Diego to become some infill of extreme density. The non urban aspect of San Diego is what makes San Diego so charming.
Side note: San Diego downtown is actually pretty impressive in my opinion and it doesn't get the recognition that it deserves.

In terms of other sun belt cities like Houston, Phoenix, Las Vegas, San Antonio,ect. no I don't think that they will ever be as urban and dense as the east coast either. Too many people move to these cities to get the suburban city experience.
True but in the case of Houston, they are moving to the actual outer areas of Houston, not the inner city. There's a reason why he inner loop is not growing as fast as outside the beltway. Residential homes whether it is single family or townhomes and units are becoming structurely denser and the ranch home with a large home is being replaced inside the loop by these and apartments. Outside of it is your regular suburban cookie cutter homes with a large yard.

Old 02-22-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Forgive me, never been to Chicago. Although Houston does have good bones and the growth should be concentrated ITL.
It's the only part of the city that can build an urban and dense cohesive environment. Chicago is 227 sq miles. The inner loop is only 95 sq miles. We are still in the car era too.

Old 02-22-2016, 09:16 AM

62 posts, read 69,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
No; market forces work against it. It's not just about denser, more pedestrian-friendly development but the type of development. Older cities have lots of small-scale density that just isn't as economically feasible to build today.
but but but Houston has come up with a way to widen the areas!!!

Apparently, throughout all of human history, it's only occurred to them that "Hey, it's possible to narrow bits of certain places!"

Some truly fascinating stuff, right up there with the contributions of Einstein himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City