Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Richmond more like Raleigh or Wilmington?
Raleigh, NC 25 44.64%
Wilmington, DE 31 55.36%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 10:19 AM

37,904 posts, read 42,114,208 times

Advertisements

Take into account culture, economy, demographics, built environment, geography, amenities, transit, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 10:41 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,192,639 times
Why did the mods delete this in the first place?

I can't speak on in-depth experience for either Richmond or Raleigh outside of passing through on the interstate, but I'd assume Richmond is probably more similar. Isn't Raleigh more of a Sunbelt-style city? Not to say that "Wilmington" (really most of New Castle County, if we're being honest) doesn't sprawl, because it does, but I'd guess that Richmond has older, more historically dense neighborhoods than Raleigh.

Oh, and let's not bring the whole "Southerness" issue into the comparison, as Wilmington isn't Southern in the least.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:46 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,569,280 times
Raleigh..

Richmond is pretty country don't cha think?

Old 03-14-2016, 10:52 AM

10,119 posts, read 10,016,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
Raleigh..

Richmond is pretty country don't cha think?
It's southern, but it's really country. It's pretty urban actually.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Because the first thread lacked criteria upon which to make the comparisons.

Quote:
I can't speak on in-depth experience for either Richmond or Raleigh outside of passing through on the interstate, but I'd assume Richmond is probably more similar. Isn't Raleigh more of a Sunbelt-style city? Not to say that "Wilmington" (really most of New Castle County, if we're being honest) doesn't sprawl, because it does, but I'd guess that Richmond has older, more historically dense neighborhoods than Raleigh.

Oh, and let's not bring the whole "Southerness" issue into the comparison, as Wilmington isn't Southern in the least.
The question is, is Richmond more similar to Wilmington or Raleigh, not is Wilmington more similar to Richmond or Raleigh.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:15 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,192,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Because the first thread lacked criteria upon which to make the comparisons.

The question is, is Richmond more similar to Wilmington or Raleigh, not is Wilmington more similar to Richmond or Raleigh.
Got ya.

And I wasn't trying to spin the question, at all. Richmond is the focus of this thread, not Wilmington. However, comparing a city to two additional cities and asking which is most similar to it will inevitably lead to some crossflow between all three, in all directions--that's just the nature of the beast.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Oh, I wasn't trying to spin the question, at all. Richmond is the focus of this thread, not Wilmington. However, comparing a city to two additional cities and asking which is most similar to it will inevitably lead to some crossflow between all three, in all directions--that's just the nature of the beast.
OK, gotcha.

Old 03-14-2016, 12:09 PM

5,859 posts, read 5,672,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
It's southern, but it's really country. It's pretty urban actually.
Right!

Someone who mislabels Rich as "country" isn't hardly familiar with the city. As it is smaller, surely it doesn't have the urbanity of Baltimore or othere large cities. But compared across most of the South, Richmond is very urban, especially in the core city (basically everywhere in the city limits besides the Far West End and the Southside), closer in scale to a norther city than the typical southern city....

As to the topic, I'll say inner city Richmond has nothing in common with inner city Raleigh. The suburbs are comparable, but not the cities in general. Also, Richmond and Raleigh do share a general Southern commonality in food, demographics, etc. So it's probably closer to Raleigh, but the street layouts, architecture, urbanity, and inner city densities more closely mirror Wilmington...

It is important to also note the historical nature of Richmond far outweighs Raleigh, and that also makes it more similar to Wilmington...

Not too familiar with Wilmington, but my homegirl is from there and I spent some time in July '14 there, her dad and siblings live in a neighborhood up the street from the Howard Young Correctional Center. It was both larger and prettier than I thought it would be. I had fun; don't know what the metro would be were it split from Philly, but I would guess somewhere between 700-900,000? It definitely is a 'city', but it's noticeably smaller than Richmond or Raleigh. I would say the closest it "feels" in size is comparable to Columbia or Syracuse----not comparing demographically, but both of which feel about Wilmington-sized, and both of which are also much smaller than Rich or Raleigh....

I enjoyed Wilmington very much, though...

Old 03-14-2016, 12:12 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,759,574 times
Quote:

Just by being MidAtlantic Wilmington, & Philadelphia for that matter, does share southern qualities & northern qualities. That's what being MidAtlantic is all about. It isn't a primary part of city comparisons.

Wilmington & Richmond have historical industrial backgrounds. Both have grit. All three cities share similar color palettes. Wilmington & Richmond are on 95 & have viable ports. All 3 have Amtrak stops. That's the way to compare them.

Old 03-14-2016, 01:26 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,569,475 times
Richmond is on the James and Wilmington is on the Christina River. Both are older cities so that really automatically puts RVA and Wilmington closer in this comparison than Raleigh. From my vantage point, the way the cities are built really do play a very large part in it for me.

Wilmington

RVA

RVA 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City