Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 07:14 AM

93,620 posts, read 124,349,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
Yes what interests me about them is:

-smaller sized Northern New England cities (I'm done with really huge cities)
-low crime
-close to a lot of nature and beauty (mountains and ocean)
-historic homes and buildings
-I like the fact they aren't growing gangbusters and sprawling out like a lot of the U.S. is
-close to Boston (Portland and Portsmouth), White Mnts, Green Mountains, skiing, ocean, Montreal (Burlington)
-love the summers and falls in New England
-farmers markets with small local farms
-sense of community
-lots of great natural lakes, rivers, streams
-New England country back roads
-laid back

It would be great to find someone with a strong opinion that has lived in all three, but I knew that was a shot in the dark
What about other similar cities that have similar characteristics? For instance, Plattsburgh NY across Lake Champlain from Burlington, has a lower overall COL, offers pretty much all or most of those things. You can take the ferry over to Burlington from there as well: Lake Champlain Ferries | New York & Vermont Ferry Crossings | Lake Champlain Transportation

Just to get an idea of what Plattsburgh looks like: https://www.google.com/maps/@44.6977...8i6656!6m1!1e1

City of Plattsburgh

It is a little over an hour from Montreal as well. Is Plattsburgh Montreal's U.S. suburb? | Innovation Trail

North Country Chamber-Home

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-28-2016 at 07:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 07:43 AM

10,757 posts, read 23,861,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameunavailable View Post
I also think Burlington takes a hit reputation wise since it isn't on the coast.
I really don't think that's much of a disadvantage for Burlington. It has a beautiful and scenic waterfront on a very large lake with mountain ranges on both sides of the city, so honestly I would say Burlington's location is part of its advantage in many respects. It's downtown is one of the most vibrant for a New England city outside of Boston's sphere of influence. It also has a different vibe, it feels like a cousin of college towns like Boulder, with a more mountain grown vibe. Vermont also has a brand and reputation on its own, and where Burlington is really the only sizable city in the state, it collectively brings the vibe of Vermont along with outside influences together. The UVM campus also makes a big impact on downtown and its atmosphere and French Canadian roots and influences are palpably in the area as well. I'd say Burlington has just as much notoriety and attraction as the other two cities, it just holds a different appeal.

Portsmouth and Portland do have a more traditional New England vibe, being coastal cities their downtown areas have a miniature Boston atmosphere to them. Many New England coastal ports all seemed to all have their day when a great fire ravaged the city so they built the downtown cores out of brick. Both Portland and Portsmouth exude a similar historic charm that parts of Boston have with historic brick townhomes. When it comes to dining and nightlife I think downtown Portsmouth could go toe to toe with the Old Port Exchange in Portland as there are seemingly just as many options to explore even though Portsmouth as a city has less than half the population than Portland. The greater Portsmouth area also has just as much retail, and NH has no sales tax. Though every time I go to Portland, Maine I always make a stop at the giant LL Bean store up the road in Freeport.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 03-28-2016 at 07:54 AM..

Old 03-28-2016, 10:42 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,415,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about other similar cities that have similar characteristics? For instance, Plattsburgh NY across Lake Champlain from Burlington, has a lower overall COL, offers pretty much all or most of those things. You can take the ferry over to Burlington from there as well: Lake Champlain Ferries | New York & Vermont Ferry Crossings | Lake Champlain Transportation

Just to get an idea of what Plattsburgh looks like: https://www.google.com/maps/@44.6977...8i6656!6m1!1e1

City of Plattsburgh

It is a little over an hour from Montreal as well. Is Plattsburgh Montreal's U.S. suburb? | Innovation Trail

North Country Chamber-Home
Thanks for mentioning but I'm not a big fan of Plattsburgh or that part of upstate NY. I like it much better over on the VT side. Also I would take Portsmouth NH and Portland ME over Plattsburgh in a heartbeat. Something about it just doesn't do it for me over there.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
I really don't think that's much of a disadvantage for Burlington. It has a beautiful and scenic waterfront on a very large lake with mountain ranges on both sides of the city, so honestly I would say Burlington's location is part of its advantage in many respects. It's downtown is one of the most vibrant for a New England city outside of Boston's sphere of influence. It also has a different vibe, it feels like a cousin of college towns like Boulder, with a more mountain grown vibe. Vermont also has a brand and reputation on its own, and where Burlington is really the only sizable city in the state, it collectively brings the vibe of Vermont along with outside influences together. The UVM campus also makes a big impact on downtown and its atmosphere and French Canadian roots and influences are palpably in the area as well. I'd say Burlington has just as much notoriety and attraction as the other two cities, it just holds a different appeal.

Portsmouth and Portland do have a more traditional New England vibe, being coastal cities their downtown areas have a miniature Boston atmosphere to them. Many New England coastal ports all seemed to all have their day when a great fire ravaged the city so they built the downtown cores out of brick. Both Portland and Portsmouth exude a similar historic charm that parts of Boston have with historic brick townhomes. When it comes to dining and nightlife I think downtown Portsmouth could go toe to toe with the Old Port Exchange in Portland as there are seemingly just as many options to explore even though Portsmouth as a city has less than half the population than Portland. The greater Portsmouth area also has just as much retail, and NH has no sales tax. Though every time I go to Portland, Maine I always make a stop at the giant LL Bean store up the road in Freeport.
Thanks Desert_SW_77, excellent and well written info. The state of VT definitely has a uniqueness and vibe all it's own. I've spent a lot more time in Burlington vs. Portsmouth and Portland ME so I have a better feel for it. I have only been to Portland ME once. I have only been to Portsmouth once recently (was there a few times 20+ yrs ago). If I chose Portland ME, Burlington or Portsmouth I would not live in the downtown areas of those cities, probably on the perimeter maybe outside the city limit, but still have access to the city.

Old 03-29-2016, 01:40 PM

12,915 posts, read 22,082,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post

Good points. I agree re: Burlington. Of the three cities listed, it's the one I'm least familiar with. I do get the feelings you're describing when I visit Burlington. I love it. There are definitely hints of French Canada in Burlington as Montreal is actually closer to Burlington than Boston and the border with Quebec is closer than the border of any New England state (though New York State is just across Lake Champlain).

I agree with most of what you've said about Portland and Portsmouth. I don't know that I would describe either as having a "Boston atmosphere" (even a mini one), but they are definitely coastal New England cities. I also agree with Portsmouth being on par with Portland's Old Port as far as nightlife and dining goes. I've always felt that Portsmouth felt like something of a Northern New England sibling to Newport, RI (although Portsmouth has a bit more of a working waterfront).

Of the three I'd choose Portsmouth. Especially if you're talking about a 20 mile radius from downtown. As Desert_SW mentioned, although Portsmouth is smaller, downtown Portsmouth is on par with Portland and Burlington in terms of shopping, dining, nightlife etc. The Portsmouth area also competes with both as far as retail is concerned. Portsmouth is also on the periphery of the metro Boston area. within 20 miles of Portsmouth, you can live in Newburyport which has an excellent downtown (gorgeous brick) and commuter rail access to Boston which is also under an hour by car. Within that 20 mile radius, you have access to great beaches like Plum Island, Hampton Beach, Rye Beach, York Beach, Ogunquit, etc. You also have an excellent university in the University of New Hampshire. It's the best located of the bunch for access to multiple areas.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Good points. I agree re: Burlington. Of the three cities listed, it's the one I'm least familiar with. I do get the feelings you're describing when I visit Burlington. I love it. There are definitely hints of French Canada in Burlington as Montreal is actually closer to Burlington than Boston and the border with Quebec is closer than the border of any New England state (though New York State is just across Lake Champlain).

I agree with most of what you've said about Portland and Portsmouth. I don't know that I would describe either as having a "Boston atmosphere" (even a mini one), but they are definitely coastal New England cities. I also agree with Portsmouth being on par with Portland's Old Port as far as nightlife and dining goes. I've always felt that Portsmouth felt like something of a Northern New England sibling to Newport, RI (although Portsmouth has a bit more of a working waterfront).

Of the three I'd choose Portsmouth. Especially if you're talking about a 20 mile radius from downtown. As Desert_SW mentioned, although Portsmouth is smaller, downtown Portsmouth is on par with Portland and Burlington in terms of shopping, dining, nightlife etc. The Portsmouth area also competes with both as far as retail is concerned. Portsmouth is also on the periphery of the metro Boston area. within 20 miles of Portsmouth, you can live in Newburyport which has an excellent downtown (gorgeous brick) and commuter rail access to Boston which is also under an hour by car. Within that 20 mile radius, you have access to great beaches like Plum Island, Hampton Beach, Rye Beach, York Beach, Ogunquit, etc. You also have an excellent university in the University of New Hampshire. It's the best located of the bunch for access to multiple areas.
Thanks Irfox for the terrific input. Also thanks for giving me your opinion on which you would choose, that is helpful. I think it will come down to whether I want to be closer to more activity & the beach (Portsmouth and Portland), or be closer to the mountains and that bucolic country feel that VT has.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:02 AM

One thing about Porstmouth proper is housing is very expensive. You can go outside the area and likely get a lot cheaper. Portland ME I think is overall lower housing costs than Portsmouth both in the city and outskirts. Burlington VT has high rents too. So Portland ME the most affordable housing of the three.

Old 03-30-2016, 02:04 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,537,985 times
I don't know much about Portsmouth. But the other 2:

Portland's proximity to the ocean gives it relatively cooler summers and warmer winters copared to Burlington. Lower cost of living as well.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
I don't know much about Portsmouth. But the other 2:

Portland's proximity to the ocean gives it relatively cooler summers and warmer winters copared to Burlington. Lower cost of living as well.
Those are some good attributes for Portland over Burlington. From looking at City Data's days of sunshine chart, it looks like Portland ME gets more sunshine than Burlington as well. Cost of housing is a big one in Portland ME's favor, lowest of all 3. Burlington VT has very high rents I hear (especially when compared to the median income there).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City