Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the better city?
Richmond 86 65.65%
Norfolk 45 34.35%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 03:02 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,545,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Putting it lightly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2016, 11:33 AM

Granby Street in Norfolk these days:
http://pilotonline.com/news/media/ph...0ff207eb3.html

Old 04-03-2016, 04:30 AM

998 posts, read 1,248,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
Granby Street in Norfolk these days:
http://pilotonline.com/news/media/ph...0ff207eb3.html
Love it!

Old 04-03-2016, 07:02 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,870,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
If you don't understand why this goes to Norfolk then your probably kind of stupid. And now that I think about it....for the stupid people...
LOL, that's a nice touch with "your". While HRs certainly has the larger and more impressive infrastructure, I'm not sure it's better when considering the dynamics of the area. Getting around the Richmond metro is SOOOO much easier. Traffic is much better. No tunnels and traffic disasters that come with it.

And aside from the impressive bridges and tunnels in the HRs area, the infrastructure is pretty standard rotten like the majority of America (lots of half-maintained roads and highways and very little good, comprehensive public transportation).

Old 04-03-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
LOL, that's a nice touch with "your". While HRs certainly has the larger and more impressive infrastructure, I'm not sure it's better when considering the dynamics of the area. Getting around the Richmond metro is SOOOO much easier. Traffic is much better. No tunnels and traffic disasters that come with it.

And aside from the impressive bridges and tunnels in the HRs area, the infrastructure is pretty standard rotten like the majority of America (lots of half-maintained roads and highways and very little good, comprehensive public transportation).
All of the Highways in Hampton Roads were recently redone.

Old 04-03-2016, 11:08 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Norfolk scored higher on the Human Rights Campaign's 2015 MEI Scorecard.

MEI 2015: See Your City's Score | Human Rights Campaign

Old 04-04-2016, 04:51 AM

867 posts, read 1,397,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post

Wow, I misspelled youre...I guess the point was lost in translation then, because I was talking about Norfolk, not HR. You could've stopped at "more impressive infrastructure" ...gave credit where its due, and kept it movin...everything else sounds like an attempt at a petty slight. LOL. You may not be but, Im sure "its better" when considering the dynamics of the area...and especially Norfolk since that's where I was talking about. Im sure getting around "metro Richmond" is "SOOOO much easier" because there are at least 500,000 less people and less places people visit throughout the metro. People hangout all over the place here. There will also be less tourist to deal with in general in "metro Richmond"...so I don't see any point being made on your part that detracts from our "larger and more impressive infrastructure."

Which is it... "pretty standard rotten" or "larger and impressive"? And for the record, public transportation IN Norfolk is "comprehensive" and decent...obviously you weren't paying attention to my focus on ONLY the city of Norfolk...so I apologize if my misspelling of "youre" confused you or anyone else.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
Wow, I misspelled youre...I guess the point was lost in translation then, because I was talking about Norfolk, not HR. You could've stopped at "more impressive infrastructure" ...gave credit where its due, and kept it movin...everything else sounds like an attempt at a petty slight. LOL. You may not be but, Im sure "its better" when considering the dynamics of the area...and especially Norfolk since that's where I was talking about. Im sure getting around "metro Richmond" is "SOOOO much easier" because there are at least 500,000 less people and less places people visit throughout the metro. People hangout all over the place here. There will also be less tourist to deal with in general in "metro Richmond"...so I don't see any point being made on your part that detracts from our "larger and more impressive infrastructure."

Which is it... "pretty standard rotten" or "larger and impressive"? And for the record, public transportation IN Norfolk is "comprehensive" and decent...obviously you weren't paying attention to my focus on ONLY the city of Norfolk...so I apologize if my misspelling of "youre" confused you or anyone else.
Not lost in translation, but you like to tell others how stupid they are for thinking differently than you while spelling part of your sentence incorrectly...just kind of humorous.

Public transportation in Norfolk (city only) is OK. I would guess that a large majority of those who really rely on it would support that. The light rail is a nice first investment, but that's a single, 7 mile line. Like so many other American cities, it's not uncommon to take a bus over an hour to get someplace that's not all that far. And Richmond's GRTC is not any better here from my experience (maybe worse). That would be the "pretty standard rotten" that I mentioned. But that's an American thing.

And I saw that you were talking about the city only, but it's kind of unreasonable to have an infrastructure discussion with only the city limits in play, given that people from all over the metro use infrastructure from all over. Think of the people who work in Norfolk, but live in VA Beach (I'd rather be shot). IMO "better" 'infrastructure has to do with how well an area is serviced for the population that exists. While HRs population is 500k larger, I would say it does not handle the population well on its roads (which is the only real way to get around the metro, minus a ferry that goes from Norfolk to Portsmouth, etc.). There are plenty of great modern marvels there, but it wasn't built to handle the amount of people in cars that come through. That's coming from someone who's sat in traffic around Norfolk dozens of times. So, when I think of good infrastructure, I think of how easy it is to get to/from work throughout the metro.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
All of the Highways in Hampton Roads were recently redone.
VA does keep its highways in pretty good condition. Secondary and tertiary roads in Richmond were so bad at one point that sinkholes started eating people. They repaved before the cycling tournament this past summer and that made things better.

Old 04-04-2016, 03:16 PM

HR's infrastructure is going to be absolutely mind-boggling once the Third Crossing is finished. Yes, those are interstate interchanges located entirely over the water.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City