Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the better city?
Richmond 86 65.65%
Norfolk 45 34.35%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 07:05 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times

Advertisements

Virginia's bizarre county/city separation keeps either city from reaching its full potential, but both have managed to do okay. Which do you think is the better city, in terms of:

Economy
Cultural institutions
Education
Infrastructure
Dining
Nightlife
Shopping
Cost of living
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 08:19 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,619,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Virginia's bizarre county/city separation keeps either city from reaching its full potential, but both have managed to do okay. Which do you think is the better city, in terms of:

Economy
Cultural institutions
Education
Infrastructure
Dining
Nightlife
Shopping
Cost of living

I lived in VA for 3 years and I always rated these cities as 1 and 2 overall.

Economy: Richmond
Cultural institutions: Richmond
Education: Norfolk
Infrastructure: Norfolk
Dining: Even (city vs. city) but Hampton Roads give Norfolk an advantage.
Nightlife: Norfolk
Shopping: Richmond (city vs. city) but Hampton Roads gives Norfolk an advantage.
Cost of living: Richmond was slightly cheaper when I lived there.

Tough call for me but I'm going to give it to Richmond.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:20 AM

Economy- Richmond (more diverse economy)
Cultural institutions- Richmond
Education- Richmond by a hair
Infrastructure- I don't think I can properly gauge this
Dining- Richmond, by a mile
Nightlife- I haven't utilized either city's nightlife recently enough to say
Shopping- Richmond. Short Pump Mall and MacArthur cancel each other out. Richmond has more boutiques
Cost of living- Richmond offers more bang for the buck

Old 03-28-2016, 11:44 AM

5,822 posts, read 5,630,594 times
Economically, Richmond is more diverse, wealthier, offers higher wage rates, is growing MUCH faster in the city (three times) AND the metro (twice as fast) and has the edge in housing. This really isn't even arguable as to who's the better city economically...

Cultural Institutions--Richmond, but only slightly. Richmond has cultural hallmarks from dining (Croaker's Spot) to museums (VMFA, Confederate Museum) to hotels (The Jefferson) to state offices (the Capital) to neighborhoods of historical importance (Tobacco Row, Jackson Ward) to transportation (Main Street) that collectively outweigh Norfolk's cultural institutions of the same topic. Norfolk does have the Chrysler and its own share of cultural institutions, so this is not a complete blowout, but Richmond, from a cultural standpoint, offers a noticeably stronger punch...

The infrastructure of both cities leave something to be desired. Norfolk is surrounded by water on half its border, and much of the city is flood-prone, a la New Orleans at the time of Katrina. Its highway and interstate system is a notch below Richmond's. Public transportation is a slight better than Richmond. The airport is better than Richmond's, but RIC is growing faster. The city roads and avenues in Norfolk are more preferable and less beat up than Richmond. Overall, edge to Norfolk....

Norfolk has a unique and attractive local cuisine that is better than Richmond locally. However, Richmond offers much more in the way of international flavors and restaurants, and without a doubt offers more fine dining, and diversity in dining options. It isn't that Norfolk dining is bad--because it isn't--but clearly, Richmond dining is playing in another tier.
The Richmond dining scene is on fire - and this is why - Restaurant News - Richmond, Va., News, Entertainment, Events, Food, Dining, Sports, Business and Commentary
Richmond's dining is only arguably worse in local cuisine--that's only arguable. It's spanking Norfolk everywhere else...

I think Norfolk city has really good nightlife and is underrated. Again though, a slight edge to Richmond for a wider range of nightlife offerings and more nightlife oriented establishments and neighborhoods...

Shopping, slight edge to Rich. Norfolk has no equivalent to Carytown, either as a neighborhood or a shopping destination of local variety...

They say Norfolk is a little bit more expensive, but it also offers lower wages than Richmond. Cost of living is going to be better in Richmond, along with a better and healthier quality of life.

Education. Richmond has the better universities (VCU, UR). Norfolk has the better community college (TCC). Neither are great in public schools, Richmond has the more significant private schools, both historically and present...

Overall, there are a few categories where Norfolk and Richmond are near equal. But in more than a few categories, Richmond is the clear winner. Time in both cities will give you the guage on both--Norfolk feels smaller, has a slower pace, has the smaller downtown, has fewer interesting neighborhoods, etc...

None of this should be taken as a slight to Norfolk. City to city, it just isn't in the same tier as Richmond, or if it is, it is several steps aback. Norfolk offers plenty and I love it, but it is probably more comparable--on a city scale--to Durham or Charleston, for overall offerings and categories. The uninformed posters seem to believe Norfolk is greater, without offering reasons why...

Metro to metro, of course, Norfolk/Virginia Beach beats Greater Richmond...

Old 03-28-2016, 09:22 PM

193 posts, read 204,418 times
Although Philadelphia and Richmond are my two favorite cities, I have to give credit to Norfolk for the vibrant downtown that city has managed to create. For starters is McArthur Place on Monticello Avenue in the heart of downtown. This huge (1,000,000 s.f.) three-level shopping mall features 140 shops including Dillard's and Nordstrom department stores plus an 18-screen movie theater. There is nothing in downtown Richmond that can compare with this and not even Philadelphia has a full-line Nordstrom's in Center City.

Nearby in the Ghent historic district is the Chrysler Museum of Art; the Harrison Opera House (home of Virginia's only opera company); the Wells Theater (stage plays) and Chrysler Hall (the Virginia Symphony). Also downtown is Harbor Park, home of the AAA Norfolk Tides baseball team (Richmond lost its AAA baseball team years ago). In addition, Norfolk has a light rail line that extents 7.4 miles from the Eastern Virginia Medical School through downtown, thence to Norfolk State University and points east (Richmond has no light rail at all). Other attractions downtown include Granby Street (restaurants/nightlife); Colley Avenue (shopping); Nauticus (maritime museum) and the battleship Wisconsin.

If I had to choose between Richmond and Norfolk as a place to live I'd pick Richmond for that city's character--beautiful neighborhoods, fascinating history, and great architecture. Norfolk has always seemed to live in Richmond's shadow, but I think Norfolk has a lot more going for it than many seem to realize.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:34 AM

1,514 posts, read 2,777,178 times
There's really no comparison, Richmond wins hands down. My brother lives in ghent, and is always baffled when people compare them - from his extensive experience with both, he agrees Richmond blows Norfolk out of the water.

That said, Norfolk is improving quite a bit.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:38 AM

1,514 posts, read 2,777,178 times
oh, murkside rock pretty much nailed it. Though Richmond has more than a slight edge on Shopping and nightlife, my brother comes to Richmond when he has to buy anything out of the ordinary.

I'd also give the greater Richmond area the win, but I could see that going the other way. The suburbs are pretty indistinguishable, and Hampton Roads has more water/beach. Most of what's great in RVA is in the city, unless you are a big fan of short pump like areas.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesaf3 View Post
oh, murkside rock pretty much nailed it. Though Richmond has more than a slight edge on Shopping and nightlife, my brother comes to Richmond when he has to buy anything out of the ordinary.

I'd also give the greater Richmond area the win, but I could see that going the other way. The suburbs are pretty indistinguishable, and Hampton Roads has more water/beach. Most of what's great in RVA is in the city, unless you are a big fan of short pump like areas.
The thing about short pump, is it's no less urban than most of Hampton Newport News or Virginia Beach.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:55 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,546,038 times
There's a lot of movement going on in HR. A lot of it's quiet and out of the spotlight, but I can guarantee you that in a few years, when a lot of it comes to fruitiion, Norfolk/Hampton Roads is going to be a place to reckon with.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
There's a lot of movement going on in HR. A lot of it's quiet and out of the spotlight, but I can guarantee you that in a few years, when a lot of it comes to fruitiion, Norfolk/Hampton Roads is going to be a place to reckon with.
I hope so. It would've happened 20 years ago if Hampton Roads were a single county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City