Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I-77 cities.
Cleveland, OH ★ 16 41.03%
Akron, OH ★ 0 0%
Canton, OH 0 0%
Dover-New Philly, OH 0 0%
Parkersburg, WV 0 0%
Charleston, WV 1 2.56%
Beckley, WV 1 2.56%
Statesville, NC 0 0%
Charlotte, NC ★ 21 53.85%
Rock Hill, SC 0 0%
Columbia, SC ★ 0 0%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 10:04 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,240,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow- View Post
I'm sorry but this is incorrect. Charlotte wins in the crime comparison.
My apt was broken into in Charlotte...nothing has ever happened to me in Cleveland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 10:06 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,240,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
This "real city/fake city" stuff is just asinine. Geesh...Charlotte has real buildings and real people just like Cleveland and every other city.
It means Charlotte has no sense of place...every one is from Somewhere else...when I lived there I met very few people who actually grew up there...and everything is just too new...very Stepford esque...no real soul to it, not real culture...too corporatized and manufactured.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:53 PM

9,681 posts, read 9,395,075 times
Transportation: Cleveland
Crime: Charlotte
Amenities: Charlotte
Religious life (7 is an important number in religion): Charlotte
Economy: Charlotte
Leisure: Charlotte
COI: Charlotte
Atmosphere: Charlotte
Commerce: Charlotte
Shopping: Charlotte
Where you would rather live: Charlotte wins for me.

Old 04-13-2016, 12:08 PM

638 posts, read 978,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
My apt was broken into in Charlotte...nothing has ever happened to me in Cleveland.

So, just because your apartment was broken into means that the whole city is more dangerous? wrong.

My apartment was broken into in Fairbanks Alaska yet never in Detroit.

Fairbanks = more dangerous according to your logic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ime_rate_(2014)

Cleveland has over double the violent crime rate and triple the murder rate compared to Charlotte.

Old 04-13-2016, 02:00 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
It means Charlotte has no sense of place...every one is from Somewhere else...when I lived there I met very few people who actually grew up there...and everything is just too new...very Stepford esque...no real soul to it, not real culture...too corporatized and manufactured.
The longer you live there, the more natives you run into. Surely it's a transplant-saturated city, but there are indeed natives around.

I agree with you that much of the core of the city is new, especially Uptown and South End which are really booming. But the soul and local culture of the city is to be found in the more popular intown neighborhoods like Dilworth, Elizabeth, NoDa, Plaza-Midwood, etc., as well as other outer ring neighborhoods.

Either way, Charlotte is very much a "real city." It's just a newer one.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:32 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,672,038 times
I added my own categories, I just felt a need to organize them into stuff. Christian scene even, I think if you look for it you can find it anywhere. Anyways:

Sports: Cleveland (MLB, NBA, NFL + OSU 2 hrs away/neighboring cities)
Location: Tie (Charlotte 2 hrs. from Mt Mitchell State Park, 3 hrs. Charleston, 3.5 hrs. Atlanta. Cleveland 2 hrs. Pittsburgh, 3 hrs Niagara/Alleghenies 4 hrs. Toronto)
Parks: Cleveland (WAY more, More events, More variety)
Scenery: Even (Charlotte with Lake Norman/West Side Hills, Cleveland with forest, ravines, geology, shoreline)
Theme Parks: Charlotte (Carowinds closer, but Cedar Point better)
Weather: Charlotte (Cleveland has the longest continuous nice stretch, and snow can be a plus, but except for 2 summer months, Charlotte very moderate year round)
History: Cleveland
Museums/Culture: Cleveland
Affordability: Cleveland
Sense of Community: Cleveland
Education: Cleveland (though having option to go in state to Chapel Hill is nice)
Urbanity: Cleveland
Healthcare: Cleveland
Shopping: Cleveland (high end even, Cleveland better antique/local)
Transit: Cleveland
While Cleveland wins most of these categories, after looking at Charlotte in greater detail, I wouldn't mind being there.

Last edited by theurbanfiles; 04-13-2016 at 08:51 PM..

Old 04-13-2016, 08:42 PM

The safety thing is dubious, because it assumes everyone who lives in the Cleveland area lives in Cleveland, when in actuality only a little over 10 percent do. The crime rate for the metros as a whole would be a much more reliable indicator of safety, and I'm guessing many Cleveland communities are as safe or safer than those of Charlotte. Charlotte's will naturally be lower, since the city has more suburban areas absolved into it.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:31 PM

3,161 posts, read 2,211,422 times
Charlotte and Cleveland are considerably larger than all the other I-77 corridor cities, so it's difficult for the others to measure up on urban amenity attributes. It's worth noting that the populations are rather stagnant in all the places listed outside the Carolinas. The higher growth areas of Ohio and West Virginia (and Virginia, for that matter) are in very different parts of those states.

The interstate's southern terminus of Columbia has advantages that go along with being the state capital and home to a flagship university, and is growing steadily with a pretty well rounded economy - besides education and state government, the insurance and military sectors are substantial. The population is relatively young and diverse which definitely isn't true of the corridor's West Virginia cities. Columbia also has nice recreational amenities such as the Lake Murray reservoir for water activities and a prominent zoo, and is within a couple hours of both mountains and beaches. Obviously, it has the mildest winters along this interstate, and the most sunshine as well.

Ultimately I had to vote for Charlotte given its amenities and dynamism, which is no slight to Statesville or Rock Hill, as both are outlying cities of the metro area and supplement what Charlotte has to offer.

Old 04-14-2016, 05:35 AM

Columbia is a pretty cool city to be sure having a state capital and flagship university of the state within the city, 2 hrs from
Greenville and Charleston as you mentioned and I think only 3 from Atlanta. Do you really think Charlotte beats Cleveland on urban amenities? I could see where someone could pick Charlotte based on preferring newer aesthetic, moderate weather, or being close to the mountains... But while Charlotte I'm sure has a good amount of stuff in certain areas, Cleveland's Metroparks system, sports arenas, cultural institutions, history, major university, built urban environment (West Side Market, Little Italy, East 4th, Coventry etc. run away from Charlotte. And that's not even a knock on Charlotte, it's just a much newer city which makes it difficult to compare. And yes Charlotte has been growing faster recently as has much of the SunBelt, but that's also difficult to measure, because the regional growing trends are newer also so there are greater opportunities for growth. Think of it as a city that's finding itself vs. one that already has. I mean I think Charlotte (by pct.) has a faster growth rate than that of the Chicago or Philadelphia metros, but still no one in their right mind would compare those two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City