Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2016, 06:29 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,194,814 times

Advertisements

SF has had a long history with Mexican-Americans. It was once Mexico.
But now that gentrification is kicking in.... things are changing.
I visited SF/Mission and while vibrant... it was kind of crazy seeing some high-end shops next to regular old taquerias. It felt more like a shell of a former neighborhood. There were still some pretty non-affected pockets. But overall yeah..
Anyway

How would both populations compare?
Obviously The Mission is the best representative for SF.
Little Village/Pilsen would probably represent Chicago.

How would you compare the vibrancy
The art
The food
The culture
The history of the neighborhoods
Growth/Decline
Impact on their respective cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 06:57 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,167 times
Personally, San Francisco; the Food, the Art, Culture, etc. But It also feels as if most Mexican neighborhoods in San Fran seem to declining, sadly.

Old 05-15-2016, 07:59 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Huh, Pilsen and the Mission seems like a very appropriate match-up.

The similarities being:

- Predominantly Mexican neighborhoods and have been for some time
- Dense, but low-rise architecture
- Somewhat inland location
- About the same distance from the downtown core
- Decently served by mass transit
- Currently host to a fairly large arts community

I can't comment much on Pilsen, but I'm interested in the responses this gets. The Mission still has a very visible Mexican community, so I'm not sure if it's accurate to say it's a shell of its former self and I'm pretty sure both the Mission and Pilsen have been seeing a pretty strong clip of gentrification but with the Mission having gone further in that direction for longer and the Mission seems to have a greater diversity of cultures overall--it's also given the city a namesake food item so I guess that's an important impact. Is there a Pilsen something or other? Also, I think it's interesting that Pilsen has a fully accredited museum dedicated to the community whereas the Mission does not.

Old 05-15-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Huh, Pilsen and the Mission seems like a very appropriate match-up.

The similarities being:

- Predominantly Mexican neighborhoods and have been for some time
- Dense, but low-rise architecture
- Somewhat inland location
- About the same distance from the downtown core
- Decently served by mass transit
- Currently host to a fairly large arts community

I can't comment much on Pilsen, but I'm interested in the responses this gets. The Mission still has a very visible Mexican community, so I'm not sure if it's accurate to say it's a shell of its former self and I'm pretty sure both the Mission and Pilsen have been seeing a pretty strong clip of gentrification but with the Mission having gone further in that direction for longer and the Mission seems to have a greater diversity of cultures overall--it's also given the city a namesake food item so I guess that's an important impact. Is there a Pilsen something or other? Also, I think it's interesting that Pilsen has a fully accredited museum dedicated to the community whereas the Mission does not.
You're right. It wasn't a shell. Just a lot more non-latino influences visible.

No, I can't think of anything with a pilsen stamp on it. Like the Mission Burrito.

The thing is that there's a lot more neighborhoods in Chicago that ease off the attention to Pilsen.
Little village, Back of the yards, gage park, craigin, Cicero, south chicago, Marquette, etc.

Where the Mission I feel stands out more.

Yes, there's a museum within the neighborhood. There's casa de aztlan. The brown berets rallied to build Schools and clinics in the neighborhood. And I feel like a lot of 2nd and 3rd generation mexicans are returning to bring Mexican American culture to the neighborhood.

I went to a mexican joing in the mission and about 80% of the people eating were white(Not saying it matters, we all love food) But in Pilsen it still feels like you are eating with ethnic locals.

Old 05-15-2016, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
You're right. It wasn't a shell. Just a lot more non-latino influences visible.

No, I can't think of anything with a pilsen stamp on it. Like the Mission Burrito.

The thing is that there's a lot more neighborhoods in Chicago that ease off the attention to Pilsen.
Little village, Back of the yards, gage park, craigin, Cicero, south chicago, Marquette, etc.

Where the Mission I feel stands out more.

Yes, there's a museum within the neighborhood. There's casa de aztlan. The brown berets rallied to build Schools and clinics in the neighborhood. And I feel like a lot of 2nd and 3rd generation mexicans are returning to bring Mexican American culture to the neighborhood.

I went to a mexican joing in the mission and about 80% of the people eating were white(Not saying it matters, we all love food) But in Pilsen it still feels like you are eating with ethnic locals.
The Bay Area still has many neighborhoods that are predominantly Mexican which should be about equivalent. It's that shared proximity to downtown and its effects both neighborhoods have which makes them so similar and comparable.

Old 05-15-2016, 04:15 PM

Quote:
The Bay Area still has many neighborhoods that are predominantly Mexican which should be about equivalent. It's that shared proximity to downtown and its effects both neighborhoods have which makes them so similar and comparable.
Yeah, but it's the bay. It's split up and it isolates those neighborhoods. Unlike here where you can drive from barrio to barrio in minutes. And those were just city neighborhoods i mentioned. You still gotta include Aurora, Waukegan, Melrose, Bensenville in the Chi-area.

Okay I spoke too much. My point is that I still think there's more of a concentrated feel in the Mission.
Disagree? Agree?

Old 05-15-2016, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Yeah, but it's the bay. It's split up and it isolates those neighborhoods. Unlike here where you can drive from barrio to barrio in minutes. And those were just city neighborhoods i mentioned. You still gotta include Aurora, Waukegan, Melrose, Bensenville in the Chi-area.

Okay I spoke too much. My point is that I still think there's more of a concentrated feel in the Mission.
Disagree? Agree?
More concentrated feel in the Mission in comparison to Pilsen or compared to other Mexican neighborhoods in the Bay Area. I would say it's somewhat comparable to Pilsen and you got yourself a pretty good analogue in both a neighborhood in relation to its ethnic community overall as a sort of historic core but now with many communities elsewhere some spread quite far as well as its relationship to the rest of the city.

Pilsen to the Mission--pretty good comparison overall, I think. Of course, I live in neither neighborhood, so my opinions aren't that informed. It just struck me as a very appropriate comparison.

If you had to choose some things you think are most representative of Pilsen, what would they be?

Old 05-15-2016, 06:04 PM

Quote:
More concentrated feel in the Mission in comparison to Pilsen or compared to other Mexican neighborhoods in the Bay Area. I would say it's somewhat comparable to Pilsen and you got yourself a pretty good analogue in both a neighborhood in relation to its ethnic community overall as a sort of historic core but now with many communities elsewhere some spread quite far as well as its relationship to the rest of the city.

Pilsen to the Mission--pretty good comparison overall, I think. Of course, I live in neither neighborhood, so my opinions aren't that informed. It just struck me as a very appropriate comparison.

If you had to choose some things you think are most representative of Pilsen, what would they be?
Definitely the art.. Murals. No other neighborhood in Chicago gives you that feeling of artwork/murals in every corner. The train stop itself is filled with art.

Pilsen usually holds the cultural festivities, the cultural classes, folklore, events, etc.

And yeah you're right. This is a good comparison. That's why I kind of opened it up. To see who can bring up unique trivia in respect to both.

The winters and snow make it look as if a town in Mexico got snowed in. I don't see any other city pulling that off. Kind of a unique thing.

Pilsen is still receiving immigrants, even with all the gentrification going on.. Mexicans still move there. A lot of the renting is done between Mexican home owners and renters which allows it to be affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City