Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Friendliest West Coast City
San Diego 8 12.31%
Los Angeles (includes Orange County, Ventura, Inland Empire) 15 23.08%
San Francisco (includes Oakland, San Jose, Napa) 3 4.62%
Sacramento 3 4.62%
Central Valley cities (e.g., Fresno, Bakersfield, Modesto, Stockton) 4 6.15%
Portland 6 9.23%
Seattle (includes Tacoma, Olympia) 3 4.62%
Vancouver, BC 11 16.92%
Anchorage 3 4.62%
Honolulu 8 12.31%
Other 1 1.54%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 12:18 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,027 times

Advertisements

There's a thread going for friendliest Northeastern cities. So, I figured I'd start such a thread for the West Coast.

I'll include Alaska and Hawaii, too.

Edit: I voted for Central Valley cities.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 06-19-2016 at 12:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 03:33 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,007,910 times
Suburban LA county by far. Monrovia, El Segundo, etc

Old 06-19-2016, 07:24 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,808,542 times
Honolulu has two votes really? Have you ever been there? If you haven't lived there for at least a year they treat you like crap. I know people who just moved there and they said they won't even associate with you for at least a year because so many come and go.

I voted Vancouver because well, Canada.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:16 PM

429 posts, read 479,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
Honolulu has two votes really? Have you ever been there? If you haven't lived there for at least a year they treat you like crap. I know people who just moved there and they said they won't even associate with you for at least a year because so many come and go.

I can attest that Vancouver is a friendly place.

Old 06-19-2016, 09:08 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,027 times
I'm LOL'ing at the Bay Area (San Francisco) and Seattle having zero votes so far. The socially awkward IT geeks, we-hate-L.A. snobs, and hyper-feminists have taken their toll on the sociability rating of the regions. I like the Bay Area and Seattle, in fact, but let's call a spade a spade.

I can also see why people think San Diego is a friendly place. I disagree, but that was based on my experience as a resident there. I think it can be friendly if one is a fit or finds a niche.

L.A. is a mixed bag. The entitled of the west side of L.A. and Newport Beach/Irvine are countered, even outnumbered, by somewhat friendlier people in places like Long Beach, North OC, Riverside, and the San Gabriel Valley. L.A. folks are the most extroverted among major California, and arguably West Coast, cities.

Vancouver is more polite than friendly, but I can't say my experiences with the people have been negative. I do prefer the city and its people to relatively close-by Seattle.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-20-2016 at 07:20 AM.. Reason: language

Old 06-19-2016, 10:18 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,911,428 times
Not sure if it says anything about the people from Alaska, but everyone I've met who has lived in or is from Alaska I've been friends with. Granted it's not many people, but the only other people that has happened with universally was people from St. Louis. Michigan folks come close too.

Then again I suppose you could argue since those people left where they came from they could be said to be atypical.

Typically I get along with women from CA so maybe smaller areas in California?

Old 06-20-2016, 11:27 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,640,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post

I've never found Honolulu to be unfriendly at all personally, I've always had great experiences with the people there.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
I'm LOL'ing at the Bay Area (San Francisco) and Seattle having zero votes so far. The socially awkward IT geeks, we-hate-L.A. snobs, and hyper-feminists have taken their toll on the sociability rating of the regions. I like the Bay Area and Seattle, in fact, but let's call a spade a spade.

I can also see why people think San Diego is a friendly place. I disagree, but that was based on my experience as a resident there. I think it can be friendly if one is a fit or finds a niche.

L.A. is a mixed bag. The entitled of the west side of L.A. and Newport Beach/Irvine are countered, even outnumbered, by somewhat friendlier people in places like Long Beach, North OC, Riverside, and the San Gabriel Valley. L.A. folks are the most extroverted among major California, and arguably West Coast, cities.

Vancouver is more polite than friendly, but I can't say my experiences with the people have been negative. I do prefer the city and its people to relatively close-by Seattle.
Seattle Metro gets friendlier the further you get from the City of Seattle. The Seattle Metro has more blue-collar towns than the Bay Area, especially in Pierce, Snohomish, and Kitsap counties. People in Tacoma are much friendlier and more outgoing than people in Seattle, for example.

Old 06-20-2016, 01:50 PM

765 posts, read 898,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward234 View Post
Seattle Metro gets friendlier the further you get from the City of Seattle. The Seattle Metro has more blue-collar towns than the Bay Area, especially in Pierce, Snohomish, and Kitsap counties. People in Tacoma are much friendlier and more outgoing than people in Seattle, for example.
Eh I see what you're saying but I think it's subtle. And what communities are we talking about? In the Southend and Eastside there is a lot of diversity, some different cultural norms, less educated, some poverty, and a very different vibe than in the Northend. The Southend and Eastside are making strides of improvement for education and community development however. Then you have downtown, hilltop, 6th ave, and the Stadium District where the artists have formed communities and is still pretty diverse in many aspects. The Northend itself consists of many neighborhoods. It is a very wealthy part of town with more similarities to maybe Queen Anne. I think that people in Tacoma overall are less work oriented and more relaxed so it's easier to get to know them. It's a mixed bag of culture where I think Seattle is more homogenous but friendly or outgoing isn't a word I would use to describe Tacoma's culture.

Old 06-20-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaserbrad View Post
Eh I see what you're saying but I think it's subtle. And what communities are we talking about? In the Southend and Eastside there is a lot of diversity, some different cultural norms, less educated, some poverty, and a very different vibe than in the Northend. The Southend and Eastside are making strides of improvement for education and community development however. Then you have downtown, hilltop, 6th ave, and the Stadium District where the artists have formed communities and is still pretty diverse in many aspects. The Northend itself consists of many neighborhoods. It is a very wealthy part of town with more similarities to maybe Queen Anne. I think that people in Tacoma overall are less work oriented and more relaxed so it's easier to get to know them. It's a mixed bag of culture where I think Seattle is more homogenous but friendly or outgoing isn't a word I would use to describe Tacoma's culture.
I've found people to be a lot more outgoing in Tacoma than in Seattle, and it's a much less snooty vibe from my experience. But I was speaking more broadly that the Seattle metro has plenty of areas that are a lot friendlier than Seattle itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City