Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which US State has the best cities and infrastructure?
New York 12 16.90%
California 28 39.44%
Texas 21 29.58%
Florida 7 9.86%
Illinois 3 4.23%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 10:17 PM

290 posts, read 570,751 times

Advertisements

This is a battle of US states. Which one has the best built, man made Environment? In essence, which US State possesses the best Cities and why. Make a case for your state!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2015, 10:23 PM

7,740 posts, read 5,530,145 times
Erie Canal, NYS. Helped build one of the biggest most powerful cities in the world. Changing shopping habits are requiring the world to rethink supply chain logistics. Some experts forecast Philadelphia, Seattle, and Miami are primed to be the next global hubs. The triangle between philly, harrisburg, and Allentown benefits from a legacy of heavy rail infrastructure and the ability to reach a huge portion of the population in a short amount of time.

The Next Global Logistics Hubs - WSJ

Old 11-29-2015, 11:04 PM

6,476 posts, read 4,084,959 times
Infrastructure- I would say nothing kills it like Texas highway but until the rail improves and Austin gets more than one interstate highway I will say Cali for best cities.

Old 11-30-2015, 06:14 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,548,609 times
Anyone who says that California has the best infrastructure is going to get laughed out of the room.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:56 AM

290 posts, read 570,751 times
California has the best built cities with the most infastructure to support all those metroploitan people and activities. Were even building high speed rail. First and only place doing this in the Americas!

Old 11-30-2015, 12:12 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,184,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonzy View Post
California has the best built cities with the most infastructure to support all those metroploitan people and activities. Were even building high speed rail. First and only place doing this in the Americas!
Except for the fact that the East Coast already has high-speed rail

True, while it might not be "high-speed" when compared to the rest of the world, it's fast enough and the infrastructure already exists for serious upgrades to be made. By 2040, the goal is for Boston to Washington to be a 3 hour trip--not a guarantee, but certainly more achievable than LA-San Francisco (which is looking to be a cost overrun, delayed boondoggle if there ever was one).

Old 11-30-2015, 02:13 PM

36,664 posts, read 67,591,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonzy View Post
Yes, it's California.

The best collection of cities of any state and commensurate infrastructure(air, rail, highway, ports etc)

Texas is no slouch tho.

Old 11-30-2015, 02:33 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,646,681 times
The NE has far superior passenger rail infrastructure, and equivalent air infrastructure. IF HSR does happen for CA, and I think that's a big if, then we'll talk.

For now, LAX, the West's largest airport, is barely connected via public transportation to job/high population centers. I realize that's changing, but it will still be light rail and job centers in LA are spread out. Not that all of NYC's airports are very well connected, if at all, but in general the NE has more airports that are better connected, and the Acela really puts it on a different level.

Both of Chicago's airports are connected via heavy rail to the system, one 24 hours. IL arguably has superior passenger rail connections than CA as well.

I'd argue that in general rule of thumb that CA has the most infrastructure given its size, but that NY or IL has the best or most developed infrastructure.

FL probably comes in last place though I think they are starting to develop, privately, their passenger rail connections, and they are tying real estate development into rail development. Of all the states listed, I hear the least from IL in terms of new infrastructure projects. I hear a great deal from the other states.

Old 11-30-2015, 02:37 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,109,223 times
Texas has the best roads/highways.

Old 11-30-2015, 02:39 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,415,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
The NE has far superior passenger rail infrastructure, and equivalent air infrastructure. IF HSR does happen for CA, and I think that's a big if, then we'll talk.

For now, LAX, the West's largest airport, is barely connected via public transportation to job/high population centers. I realize that's changing, but it will still be light rail and job centers in LA are spread out. Not that all of NYC's airports are very well connected, if at all, but in general the NE has more airports that are better connected, and the Acela really puts it on a different level.

Both of Chicago's airports are connected via heavy rail to the system, one 24 hours. IL arguably has superior passenger rail connections than CA as well.

I'd argue that in general rule of thumb that CA has the most infrastructure given its size, but that NY or IL has the best or most developed infrastructure.

FL probably comes in last place though I think they are starting to develop, privately, their passenger rail connections, and they are tying real estate development into rail development. Of all the states listed, I hear the least from IL in terms of new infrastructure projects. I hear a great deal from the other states.
I'd generally agree with this sentiment. I'm surprised FL even has a single vote, as I'd put it behind both NY and IL for overall infrastructure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City